Would a HD 7770 go well with a i3-2120T?

JPKaizer

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013
I been having this itch to buy a graphics card for the PC that's in the living room that is used mainly for browsing and watching movies. The PC model is HP-1394 and the specs are: (6GB DDR3 RAM 1600 (1x2GB and 1x4GB), 1TB Hitachi 7200RPM, Intel H61 MB)
The full specs are here: http://bit.ly/17QQcxu
The reason why I want to do this is because from time to time I'm on that PC and I would like to play my steam games at good FPS on the living room 52" HDTV. I was wondering if it would be a good match up since the i3 CPU is a low wattage CPU meant for low power consumption and being that the 7770 is similar in low power consumption, it would be a match made in heaven right?
Would I still need to replace the PSU?

You need more than just a new psu:
1. you need a new motherboard. The motherboard shown in your link has NO expansion slots!
2. you'll probably need a new case. The specs listed say the 90W psu is external, so I wouldn't expect the case to be able to fit an ATX psu.

JPKaizer

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013

Yeah I know a 430W from Corsair would suffice, but what you think of it. Is it practical and would it have any issues, specially since its a pre-built PC?

JPKaizer

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013

Ahh shoot you're right I didn't notice it didn't have any expansion slots FML -_-

I could just install the CPU on a new motherboard right? a good MSI H67 mobo would do? Or do I have to get a specific mobo since the CPU is a "T" model?

Yes, an H67 mobo would work. However, I've looked for pictures that show the back of the case for that computer model, and it looks like it doesn't have an opening for an expansion card in the slot closest to the cpu (which would be the only slot available on a mini-itx board, and often the only one that supports a gpu on a micro-atx board), and it's hard to tell for sure whether the other case slots can be opened (short of using special tools such as a hacksaw or dremel). It might be able to fit a micro-atx motherboard, but it definitely wouldn't fit a full atx board. In the images also see a cover plate blocking an opening that looks like the right size for an internal atx psu, so you might be able to fit one after all.

JPKaizer

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013

Yeah, no I would probably ditch the case. I could still use the i3-2120T along with the 6GB RAM and 1TB HDD and move it to a new mobo and do a build from there right? How good would that build be if I pair up a i3-2120T with a 7770, 6GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 430W? looks good huh?