FX-8120 is overheating?

Deemer1984

Honorable
Nov 8, 2013
My computer is a year old, and recently I have noticed it shuts down under stress. I have an FX-8120, 7870 video card, an MSI 760GM-P34 (MS-7641) motherboard, 8gb ram, and an 800w power supply. HWMonitor shows VCORE from 0.960 to 1.4 idle. Also, temp fluctuating between 26 and 51 idle and it changes almost every second. Video card is cool at 30 degrees. I have the stock fan for the cpu, no overclocking, and I reapplied the thermal paste. Under stress the cpu temp goes to 80 degrees!?!?!?!? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Solution

if you aplied ineficient you can be experiencing this problem.recheck so that ou have at least 90% of the cpu covered with thermal grease.

JOHNN93

Honorable
with a stock fan and under stress it is possible to reach hose temperatures.the bestthing to do is clean dust from your system and reaply thermal grease.at idle 51 seems perfectly fine under stress 100 % load it is normal to reach those temps and shut down.your computer is not always on a 100 % load.whn use and temps even i gaming should not rise over 65 c.keep temps betwene 50 - 60 c and everything will be fine.

Deemer1984

Honorable
Nov 8, 2013
I cleaned my whole pc today and reapplied a small amount of thermal paste. No change so far. Should I consider getting a cooler master hyper evo 212? Or could the power supply be on it's last leg?

JOHNN93

Honorable
as i mentioned before you cpu is not always stressed and no your power supply has nothing to do with.amd cpus do get hot but even with these temperatures you wont have a problem.if you want to buy its your choice.hyper evo is a good coooler but there are better ones out there.but hyper evo does have a good price tag on it.

JOHNN93

Honorable

if you aplied ineficient you can be experiencing this problem.recheck so that ou have at least 90% of the cpu covered with thermal grease.

Solution

Deemer1984

Honorable
Nov 8, 2013
Thanks for the responses so far! I double checked to make sure I applied enough and made sure the heat sink was tight. I didn't realize amd processors got this hot. I probably should have replaced the cpu fan long ago. It's kind of weird that it just started shutting down in the past few weeks though

TRENDING THREADS