whats a good upgrade from a pentium D 925 on a dell inc. ohr330 motherboard its a lga775 socket

Hi just need to know if i can upgrade my cpu on my dell inc, ohr330 motherboard im going to be upgrading my gpu to a sapphire HD 7770 in next few weeks and need to know if i should upgrade my cpu 925 aswell... thanks
9 answers Last reply
More about whats good upgrade pentium 925 dell ohr330 motherboard lga775 socket
  1. Prior to advising on CPU, we need clarification of your Dell PC model - according to MOBO you have Optiplex 745, and most likely Mini Tower version (regular looking configuration, not skinny).

    Second question - are you residing in US or elsewhere - you would have to look for used parts for cooling upgrade etc.

    Third question. What is your budget? Provide in your currency please.

    Forth and last one. What is the purpose of your upgrade?

    Your turn.
  2. Kisianik said:
    Prior to advising on CPU, we need clarification of your Dell PC model - according to MOBO you have Optiplex 745, and most likely Mini Tower version (regular looking configuration, not skinny).

    Second question - are you residing in US or elsewhere - you would have to look for used parts for cooling upgrade etc.

    Third question. What is your budget? Provide in your currency please.

    Forth and last one. What is the purpose of your upgrade?

    Your turn.


    Hi, yes my pc is the optiplex 745 reg looking
    Im in the UK
    budget is less than 100 pounds :)
    my upgrade is so i can play games like ffxiv on a higher fps , my graphics card is more than enough for the game but i feel my cpu is holding me back.
    current cpu - intel(r) pentium D cpu 3.00 GHZ - 2 logical processors

    Field Value
    CPU Properties
    CPU Type DualCore Intel Pentium D 925, 3000 MHz (15 x 200)
    CPU Alias Presler
    CPU Stepping D0
    Instruction Set x86, x86-64, MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3
    Original Clock [ TRIAL VERSION ]
    Min / Max CPU Multiplier 12x / 15x
    Engineering Sample No
    L1 Trace Cache 12K Instructions per core
    L1 Data Cache [ TRIAL VERSION ]
    L2 Cache 2 MB per core (On-Die, ECC, ATC, Full-Speed)

    CPU Physical Info
    Package Type 775 Contact FC-LGA6
    Package Size 37.5 mm x 37.5 mm
    Transistors [ TRIAL VERSION ] million
    Process Technology 65 nm, CMOS, Cu, Low-K Inter-Layer, High-K Gate, Strained Si
    Die Size [ TRIAL VERSION ] mm2
    Core Voltage 1.27 V
    I/O Voltage 1.27 V
    Typical Power 95 W @ 3.00 GHz
    Maximum Power 127 W @ 3.00 GHz

    CPU Manufacturer
    Company Name Intel Corporation
    Product Information http://ark.intel.com/search.aspx?q=Intel Pentium D 925
    Driver Update http://www.aida64.com/driver-updates

    Multi CPU
    Motherboard ID DELL Opti 745
    CPU #1 Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz, 2992 MHz
    CPU #2 Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz, 2992 MHz

    CPU Utilization
    CPU #1 / Core #1 6 %
    CPU #1 / Core #2 0 %

    Field Value
    Motherboard Properties
    Motherboard ID <DMI>
    Motherboard Name Dell OptiPlex 745

    Front Side Bus Properties
    Bus Type Intel GTL+
    Bus Width 64-bit
    Real Clock 200 MHz (QDR)
    Effective Clock 800 MHz
    Bandwidth 6400 MB/s

    Chipset Bus Properties
    Bus Type Intel Direct Media Interface

    Motherboard Manufacturer
    Company Name Dell Computer Corporation
    Product Information http://www.dell.com
    BIOS Download http://support.dell.com
    Driver Update http://www.aida64.com/driver-updates
    BIOS Upgrades http://www.aida64.com/bios-updates
  3. I am far away from home, using iPhone, so I will provide you with simple answer, and will elaborate sometimes after tommorrow (when I get home) if needed.
    Maximum upgrade is Q6600 or Q6700, those ones are cheaper ones, there is one more, more expensive one, but I need to get home to my bookmarks to find out.

    Meantime
    http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=321244470174 check it up, Q6600 is in your budget so far.

    Next, open your PC case and take a look at CPU cooler, 2 questions:
    First, which color it is, white top?
    Second configuration, vertical panels or horizontal?
    If answer is white and vertical - you have aluminum cooler and need upgrade.
    If answer is gray thin plates parallel to motherboard with a few vertical yellow pipes - you have the performance one, called copper at times, in this situation no upgrade is necessary, unless you want overclock.

    Short on overclock. Generally Dells can not be over locked, but with certain processors it is possible. Q6600 is one of them. It can be overclocked from 2.4GHz to 3GHz relatively easy, but you might have to (might not) improvise with cooling uphrase.

    So what is your reaction to overclock?

    Your turn now.
  4. Kisianik said:
    Prior to advising on CPU, we need clarification of your Dell PC model - according to MOBO you have Optiplex 745, and most likely Mini Tower version (regular looking configuration, not skinny).

    Second question - are you residing in US or elsewhere - you would have to look for used parts for cooling upgrade etc.

    Third question. What is your budget? Provide in your currency please.

    Forth and last one. What is the purpose of your upgrade?

    Your turn.


    Kisianik said:
    I am far away from home, using iPhone, so I will provide you with simple answer, and will elaborate sometimes after tommorrow (when I get home) if needed.
    Maximum upgrade is Q6600 or Q6700, those ones are cheaper ones, there is one more, more expensive one, but I need to get home to my bookmarks to find out.

    Meantime
    http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=321244470174 check it up, Q6600 is in your budget so far.

    Next, open your PC case and take a look at CPU cooler, 2 questions:
    First, which color it is, white top?
    Second configuration, vertical panels or horizontal?
    If answer is white and vertical - you have aluminum cooler and need upgrade.
    If answer is gray thin plates parallel to motherboard with a few vertical yellow pipes - you have the performance one, called copper at times, in this situation no upgrade is necessary, unless you want overclock.

    Short on overclock. Generally Dells can not be over locked, but with certain processors it is possible. Q6600 is one of them. It can be overclocked from 2.4GHz to 3GHz relatively easy, but you might have to (might not) improvise with cooling uphrase.

    So what is your reaction to overclock?

    Your turn now.


    ive not realy done any overclocking before so have no clue.. My cooling system is a tower of silver plates with my heat sink over the top
  5. Third question. What is your budget? Provide in your currency please.
  6. redamzcy said:
    Third question. What is your budget? Provide in your currency please.


    100 GBP, you missed
  7. Final clarification regarding your CPU cooler or CPU heatsink, does it looks like this

    http://www.blackmoreit.com/enlargeimage.html?zoomimage=//images.esellerpro.com/2131/I/518/80/lrgscaleD9729.jpg

    If yes, you have the strongest
    http://www.txcesssurplus.com/servlet/the-8531/NEW-Dell-R6852-OptiPlex/Detail
    Not bad one as well

    And this is Aluminum and must be replaced
    http://m.ebay.com/itm/140900916530

    So which one you have option 1,2 or 3?
  8. Kisianik said:
    Final clarification regarding your CPU cooler or CPU heatsink, does it looks like this

    http://www.blackmoreit.com/enlargeimage.html?zoomimage=//images.esellerpro.com/2131/I/518/80/lrgscaleD9729.jpg

    If yes, you have the strongest
    http://www.txcesssurplus.com/servlet/the-8531/NEW-Dell-R6852-OptiPlex/Detail
    Not bad one as well

    And this is Aluminum and must be replaced
    http://m.ebay.com/itm/140900916530

    So which one you have option 1,2 or 3?




    It looks like option 1 but silver
  9. K so i dont need to upgrade cooler? and get the q6600? dont mean to sound dumb or anything how do you overclock a cpu? thanks
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Motherboards Dell