Solved

R9 290(X) on a 650W 80+ bronze PSU

I currently have a Seasonic PSU 650W 80+ bronze certified (which i bought without thinking i would go so high on the graphics card) and i would like to get an aftermarket R9 290 maybe X.

I know this PSU wouldn't be able to handle these cards during full load let alone if i want to OC so i do intend to eventually get a better PSU (pref one that can take 2 of them easily in case i want to upgrade in the future) but i only intend on getting a better PSU once i change my monitor. My current one runs at a resolution of 1280x1080.

Would my current PSU be able to handle these cards at this resolution until i upgrade without causing any problems or damage to the cards in any way?
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 290 650w bronze psu
  1. It will run with a quality PSU like yours. An overclocked system total system load just passes 400watts gaming http://anandtech.com/show/7457/the-radeon-r9-290x-review/19
  2. The 290x is way overkill for your resolution screen, I recommend you grab a decent 1080p screen and the 280x, you will usually average 60fps or higher with that card on high/ultra settings. The 290 and 290x really shine at 1440p and higher resolutions so for a single 1080p screen it sort of goes to waste.
  3. burdenbound said:
    The 290x is way overkill for your resolution screen, I recommend you grab a decent 1080p screen and the 280x, you will usually average 60fps or higher with that card on high/ultra settings. The 290 and 290x really shine at 1440p and higher resolutions so for a single 1080p screen it sort of goes to waste.

Well that's it. I plan on upgrading by summer next year to a 2560x1440 (or 2560x1600) monitor (i doubt 4k will become cheap enough by that time :) )
  4. You don't need to go with Crossfiring 290X's mate. The 290X is capable of handling 2 monitors at 1920x1080p resolution with decent fps ;)
    However with cpu Over clocked i7-3770k @4.8GHz and a 290X in the rig, the total system power draw is 447Watts. These values were recorded when the system was running at full bore (at its peak).
    http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/11/07/nvidia_geforce_gtx_780_ti_video_card_review/7
    Keeping this in mind I would suggest you the following power supply if you plan to Cross fire in future:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 1050W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($187.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $187.98
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-08 09:55 EST-0500)
  5. IAMEXTREME said:
    You don't need to go with Crossfiring 290X's mate. The 290X is capable of handling 2 monitors at 1920x1080p resolution with decent fps ;)
    However with cpu Over clocked i7-3770k @4.8GHz and a 290X in the rig, the total system power draw is 447Watts. These values were recorded when the system was running at full bore (at its peak).
    http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/11/07/nvidia_geforce_gtx_780_ti_video_card_review/7
    Keeping this in mind I would suggest you the following power supply if you plan to Cross fire in future:

Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 1050W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($187.98 @ Newegg)

The thing is i am very limited in terms of options. I live in Romania an don't have access to newegg (but how i wish i did). I did initially intended to go multiple monitors (3 in portrait mode) but i can't find anyone who could customized standard screens (thick bezels annoy the hell out of me) and the only monitor i found here with very thin bezels has a very thick one on the botom so portrait mode is out with that). Also i am hesitant to buy from outside my country due to the complications of warranty and returning the products if it faults (although admitedly my last system never had any issues for over 4 years aside from the gpu starting to show green and red lines [a gtx8800a] ).
  6. If you plan on going with a 1440p or 1600p monitor than the 290x will be awesome, just remember that they run really hot (I would wait for third party cooling solutions) and I can't imagine the heat if you wanted to crossfire.

If you plan on going with a triple screen setup and multiple GPU I would go with nvidia because as of right now AMD has not solved it's frame pacing issues for crossfire on resolutions above 2560x1600 single monitor.
  7. Datcu Alexandru said:
    IAMEXTREME said:
    You don't need to go with Crossfiring 290X's mate. The 290X is capable of handling 2 monitors at 1920x1080p resolution with decent fps ;)

The thing is i am very limited in terms of options. I live in Romania an don't have access to newegg (but how i wish i did). I did initially intended to go multiple monitors (3 in portrait mode) but i can't find anyone who could customized standard screens (thick bezels annoy the hell out of me) and the only monitor i found here with very thin bezels has a very thick one on the botom so portrait mode is out with that). Also i am hesitant to buy from outside my country due to the complications of warranty and returning the products if it faults (although admitedly my last system never had any issues for over 4 years aside from the gpu starting to show green and red lines [a gtx8800a] ).

Right ;)

I just gave you an outline/estimate, what kind of wattage will you be requiring if you go with a single card or cross fire... I hope that helped ;)
  8. IAMEXTREME said:
    Datcu Alexandru said:
    IAMEXTREME said:

Right ;)

I just gave you an outline/estimate, what kind of wattage will you be requiring if you go with a single card or cross fire... I hope that helped ;)

What would you say about this supply for a crossfire 290x?

http://www.cel.ro/surse/sursa-super-flower-sf_1000p14xe-1000w-golden-green-l/

i never heard of super flower before but after i looked at some reviews it seems to be a pretty solid brand and this model in particular has left a few people speechless when it came out.
  9. Datcu Alexandru said:
    IAMEXTREME said:
    Datcu Alexandru said:
    IAMEXTREME said:

Right ;)

What would you say about this supply for a crossfire 290x?

http://www.cel.ro/surse/sursa-super-flower-sf_1000p14xe-1000w-golden-green-l/

i never heard of super flower before but after i looked at some reviews it seems to be a pretty solid brand and this model in particular has left a few people speechless when it came out.

I have never heard of this before, neither I'm sure of it. The ampere's on +12V are not even mentioned which is an important factor in determining how good the power supply is. But I'll just assume you have read something nice about the PSU. However vaguely speaking 1000watts will be fine for the two cards.

Just try to get something from XFX/Corsair/Seasonic. If I was in your boots, I will never put my cards in risk with that unknown brand.
  10. Best answer
    The amperage is mentioned, just scroll down and look at the table with the +12v row :D

That PSU has 83A on the +12v rail which is excellent also considering that it's rated at 80+ gold, though I wouldn't really trust that brand

A single 290x requires 33A on the +12v rail so two way crossfire shouldn't be a problem, a better brand like Antec, Corsair or EVGA would be a safer choice

Have a look at these alternatives, if you're going to spend extra on one component, make sure it's spent towards a good PSU

http://www.cel.ro/surse/sursa-modulara-seasonic-x_1050-1050w-l/
    http://www.cel.ro/surse/sursa-modulara-evga-evga-supernova-1000-g2-1000w-l/
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Power Supplies Resolution Graphics