Need Help With OC. 8350/MSI 990FXA-GD65v2

TripleBullet

Honorable
May 30, 2013
So I just got the new Mobo I listed in the title. I had a PoS Asus M5A78L-M LX PLUS. I could OC my 8350 to 4.5Ghz stable without any voltage change. With this new Mobo i'm currently at 4.3Ghz but with 1.5535V. That is the only way I've gotten it to be stable at only 4.3Ghz. So what am I doing wrong, if anything? Anything to do with NB or SB, maybe even RAM. RAM isn't OC'd, only GPU and CPU. GPU is stable. I cant list its clocks to if needed. I'm going to attach a pic for some more info. (Using Windows 8, not 7 or 8.1) Was using W8 with last mobo as well.

Also, ran prime95 with 4.3Ghz at that voltage for an hour. Any less and it was unstable.
OC_zps82ac06a6.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Solution

What CPU COOLER do you have?

I'm pretty sure the throttling is based on temperature. The motherboard is just there to supply enough stable power. So if the CPU is overheating it's a cooling issue that has little to do with the motherboard.

Now you have an MSI board that can't even stabilize the CPU at as high of a frequency so I'm not sure what to tell you.

TripleBullet

Honorable
May 30, 2013

I have the Cooler Master TX3. I have a HAF 912 Case, 2x200mm, 140mm and a 120mm. CPU would only get up to about 48C. Cooling wasn't the issue. The Mobo would overheat at about 58C (while CPU was at 48C) and throttle back. Its VRM cooling was terrible. I even rigged a dedicated 80mm fan right on it and it still couldn't stay cool it was so bad.

You're right.
The Asus board is poorly designed. That surprised me.

As for the MSI board other than bumping the Voltage I'm not sure what to recommend other than running MEMTEST to also verify your RAM is fine. I'm not sure how that board is setup as some boards have the CPU and RAM tied to a common Base Clock so you can unintentionally overclock the RAM when overclocking the CPU.

Not much help I know.

TripleBullet

Honorable
May 30, 2013

Well I ran memtest with no OC and everything checked out ok. Whenever I ran it, even with stable OC, memtest would just reboot PC and try again, although it never said error. Just simply restarted. This MSI board is a good board to. I think I may of gotten the rotten egg ofem. I may just have to send it back and get it replaced and see if that helps. Although I can wait to dismantle my tower again!....

Are you certain your memory settings were correct? Not overclocked?

I'm not familiar with AMD's setup for how to set the memory to default frequency/timings. on Intel, I can just click "XMP" and the optimal settings are applied, however I can mess with the settings by trying to overclock the CPU.

So if MEMTEST is working fine when the CPU is not overclocked, but the test reboots when the CPU is overclocked I see two probable causes:

1) The memory frequency/timings have been changed and aren't optimal, OR

2) The CPU is causing the reboot by being unstable, not the memory.

That doesn't mean the MSI board isn't the issue, but if you can get your money back maybe one of the better Asus boards would be better. I know the Asus board you had sucked, but they do make great motherboards.

I think many of the boards aren't designed well to handle the power load of the FX-8350 when overclocked.

Solution

TripleBullet

Honorable
May 30, 2013

Well I I figured something new out. I am getting terrible Vdroop. For some reason when I do an OC with my CPU, the board wont give it its full voltage. Im getting higher volts at idle instead of full usage. I set it to 1.6v and would max at 1.51. So I found a good voltage and am now stable at 4.3Ghz with memtest and all.

Voltage Droop is common.
I am surprised it's designed to allow you to set a voltage that it can't actually maintain, but I guess as long as you get it working then who cares.

Off topic...
My own memory just failed. One of my sticks has an error (was getting periodic game crashing and video stutter, other weird things). To RMA it, I have to send back the ENTIRE KIT.

Next time I build a PC I'll get two DIFFERENT kits of the same memory so I have something to use. I get that they are "tested together" but I doubt that really matters. Sigh.