Solved

Overclocking Intel's Core2 Quad Q6600 on a Asus P5V-B Mobo

Okay, so I have this Asus P5V-B mobo (intel chipset), with 2Gb DDR2 RAM at 500 freq.
I want to overclock the Core2 Quad Q6600 from 2.40 gh to 3.00 Gh. I need some help on that.
I tried changing the FSB from 266 to 333, but my computer didn't even reached the setup. The cooling fan of the Cpu kept "reseting" ..?! That's the way I can describe it... it was similar to turning on an old car's engine on a cold day. It can't be the power.. I have a 600 Watt power supply. Can someone help me here?
I wanted to OC it in a manner that doesn't require an improvement to the stock cooling system (the stock fan). I thought 3.0 Gh would be just fine.
The insides are dust-free and I just reapplied an Arctic Silver thermal paste to it, 3 days ago.
I would like to know if it's worth spending money on new RAM chips could assure a stable OC to 3.00 GH. I'm thinking of buying a 2 x 2GB (800 fq) DDR2 set (since my mobo can't support DDR3). Would that help?
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about overclocking intel core2 quad q6600 asus p5v mobo
  1. Harkonnen88 said:
    Okay, so I have this Asus P5V-B mobo (intel chipset), with 2Gb DDR2 RAM at 500 freq.
    I want to overclock the Core2 Quad Q6600 from 2.40 gh to 3.00 Gh. I need some help on that.
    I tried changing the FSB from 266 to 333, but my computer didn't even reached the setup. The cooling fan of the Cpu kept "reseting" ..?! That's the way I can describe it... it was similar to turning on an old car's engine on a cold day. It can't be the power.. I have a 600 Watt power supply. Can someone help me here?
    I wanted to OC it in a manner that doesn't require an improvement to the stock cooling system (the stock fan). I thought 3.0 Gh would be just fine.
    The insides are dust-free and I just reapplied an Arctic Silver thermal paste to it, 3 days ago.
    I would like to know if it's worth spending money on new RAM chips could assure a stable OC to 3.00 GH. I'm thinking of buying a 2 x 2GB (800 fq) DDR2 set (since my mobo can't support DDR3). Would that help?


    Try increasing fsb slowly.. That could help.. Dont go straight to 333... increase fsb by 10-15..then see is it stable..
  2. Okay, I managed to get it stable at 270 FSB. OC it to 2.45. That isn't much of a big deal.
  3. Best answer
    Harkonnen88 said:
    Okay, I managed to get it stable at 270 FSB. OC it to 2.45. That isn't much of a big deal.

    and it wont go higher that 270? You can try increasing vcore a little bit.. but it will run hotter by increasing voltage... and turn of stepping,and stuff like that in bios..
    i recently oc'd celeron dual core e1200 from 1.6 stock to 2.9..with air cooling stable.. so i know you can go higher with q6600..
    what i would do is:
    turn off cpu stepping etc.. change ram speed. although my ram was running at 233 (cuz of cpu) it didnt boot until i set ram speed in bios at 400mhz... so try that..what helped me also was when i reach my top fsb,i run pc for some time(10mins aprox.) then i try increasing fsb..

    Also check threads on this forum about q6600 and overclocking c2q..i know there's a lot of them.. they could be helpful ..
  4. momir said:
    Harkonnen88 said:
    Okay, I managed to get it stable at 270 FSB. OC it to 2.45. That isn't much of a big deal.

    and it wont go higher that 270? You can try increasing vcore a little bit.. but it will run hotter by increasing voltage... and turn of stepping,and stuff like that in bios..
    i recently oc'd celeron dual core e1200 from 1.6 stock to 2.9..with air cooling stable.. so i know you can go higher with q6600..
    what i would do is:
    turn off cpu stepping etc.. change ram speed. although my ram was running at 233 (cuz of cpu) it didnt boot until i set ram speed in bios at 400mhz... so try that..what helped me also was when i reach my top fsb,i run pc for some time(10mins aprox.) then i try increasing fsb..

    Also check threads on this forum about q6600 and overclocking c2q..i know there's a lot of them.. they could be helpful ..



    I increased the Vcore to 1.35 V, forced DRAM to 512 and got it stable at 280 FSB... I will try going further and see if I can get it stable but first I'll keep it idle and watch the temps.
    Also, thx Ryan for the link, I helped me understand the interface a little more. I already did some reading and checked like 10 threads.. I hope I can get it at least to 2.8. I will keep updating as I make progress.

    Up: I maged to get it stable at 286 FSB by forcing memory voltage at 1.90 and v.core to 1.3875. Anything above 286 seens to be unstable. Should I go above the 1.4V vcore cap? Or is it because of my RAM chips?

    Up: I aparently can't get it stable above 2.6 Gh. I tried everything, even forced 1.45 V in the core. Anyhow, it's better than the stock 2.4. Thx for the support.
  5. it's a VERY late answer though, but my q66 went it to 3,06 with seidon v2 at gaming situation at 60c. even though i don't remember the bios settings xD if anyone is here will reply the settings :D
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus Overclocking Intel Quad