7950 clock speed dropping at 100% usage

danielwewo

Honorable
Sep 9, 2012
I was starting to overclock my card and was running benchmarks and stress tests and messing around with gaming to see what kind of frame rates and bench scores I was getting. In most games if I turn the graphics to medium-high where my gpu usage is from 60-80% and v sync'd at 60 fps my clock speeds and temperatures look perfectly normal. If I play a game that maxes my card out, or I run a benchmark that makes my GPU usage stick to 100%, then my clock speeds drop drastically.

This is most common during Furmark. I tried using OCCT and with shader complexity at 3 and fps limit at 60 my GPU usage is at 38% and I'm locked to 60fps with a steady 960 MHz(Stock overclocked) core clock. If I set it to unlimited frame rate and shader complexity all the way up, GPU usage goes to 100%, and my core clock bounces around from 400-800 mainly staying within 600-500MHz. This is so weird! I was running the 13.11 beta drivers but rolled back to 13.9 drivers.

I found this: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/372147-33-7870-sticking-stock-clock-rate#.

His solution was to install HIS iTurbo and disable 2d Clocks. I installed HIS iTurbo but I don't seem to have an option available to disable 2D Clocks in the settings. I have an option to disable ULPS but that does nothing to help me.

Help me tom's hardware! I can post screenshots or videos of the effects if needed.

The Obligatory:
Specs:
GPU: MSI R7950 3GD5/OC Twin Frozr II
CPU: AMD FX-8150 (4.1 GHz prime95 24 hour stable)
Memory: G. Skillz ares 2x4GB 1600 MHz kit. XMP stable
Motherboard: MSI 990FXA-GD80v2
PSU: Corsair HX850w
SSD: Vertex 4 120GB
HDD: 1x1TB 2x500GB
Plenty of fans in my 400R.

Yes I tried turning it on and off.
No, there isn't anything extra running in the background.
Yes I enabled the EULA in the .cfg file in MSI Afterburner

Thanks for any and all help guys! I appreciate it.

Update: Noticed I forgot to mention that my temperatures are completely normal and within operating range. During 15 minutes of furmark my temperatures don't go above 72C. Thanks.

Update2: To be more specific, there is a significant frame rate difference. When I start the test in OCCT my clock rate starts out at 960, and I'm getting about 170 FPS (with shader complexity set at 3 unlimited FPS) and slowly the clock rate drops, and the frame rate drops with it. By about 20 seconds in, the frame rate has dropped all the way down to 110 FPS while my core clock alternates between 500-600MHz.

Solution
Well while I was waiting for a reply I started playing around with the settings in MSI Afterburner and I was able to fix it! Turns out this card is just extremely power hungry! By increasing the power limit I was able to keep a steady clock! At 11% increase was where it leveled out at 960! Anything lower than that the clock would drop, but significantly less than it did at +0.

WOW this thing gets a lot hotter now. haha. Thanks guys. Hope this can help anybody else out there with this issue.

danielwewo

Honorable
Sep 9, 2012
Well while I was waiting for a reply I started playing around with the settings in MSI Afterburner and I was able to fix it! Turns out this card is just extremely power hungry! By increasing the power limit I was able to keep a steady clock! At 11% increase was where it leveled out at 960! Anything lower than that the clock would drop, but significantly less than it did at +0.

WOW this thing gets a lot hotter now. haha. Thanks guys. Hope this can help anybody else out there with this issue.

Solution