I own a 780 FTW, just put an order thru for a 780ti SC...is it a worthy upgrade overall?

savatage79

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
Basically im viewing it as when the 800s come out my 780 ftw might only net me 250ish or so, maybe 300...im not sure. And that if I ride a Ti superclocked for awhile that when I do upgrade to an 800 series one day it may give me something better to sell.

I read some of the reviews etc, all very positive. But is it definitely a card to simply upgrade to and not look back right about now?

monsta

Splendid
You have a point who knows when Maxwell (800) is going to be released and right now with the price drops of the 780 who knows what you are gonna get for it.

If you are gaming at 1080, I would just wait for the 800 series , the 780 can play anything you throw at it at 1080 and it overclocks very well.

For multi monitor or higher resolutions then the 780ti is a good upgrade if you need better fps with your set up.

Its up to you really , are you not happy with the 780 performance?

savatage79

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
Well its not that im not happy, I love this card...I game at 1440p and I think where im at is the Ti sounds like the card I thought I was originally getting...I mean I realize that it was a more or less a crippled titan but I just see the Ti as being a card that I can really hang my hat on

Now here is a major major question. I just noticed that step up program. Im within what I believe is Evgas 90 days, I just checked... how does this work? Because if this works how I think it does, that imho might be a no brainer for me.

monsta

Splendid
OMG yeah if its on the step up go ahead , dont even hesitate to get the 780ti!
It will definately play better with your 1440 monitor , for 1080 its not necessary.
Go ahead and get it mate. contact EVGA directly by phone , they are really helpful.

savatage79

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
Enemy, that's one thing in the PC world I just never learned to do was OC. Sad I know.

Monsta, now heres the thing...I was going to buy the 780ti Superclocked...with the step up program can I pick that card and pay the difference? is that how it works?

monsta

Splendid
Yes they offer you a step up option , sometimes its not even the price difference , I'm not sure how much it is. Contact them and find out exactly how much it is, I saw one guy was asked 80 bucks to upgrade two of his 780's for two 780ti's.

Deuce65

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
With the step up program you can only get their reference card. You give them back your old card, give them the difference in cost, and get the reference evga 780 TI. There is no option to pay for any of their other TI cards (and they are all out of stock now anyway).
Keep in mind that while the 780 TI is about 10% faster then the stock 780, you don't have a stock 780.

monsta

Splendid
I don't think the cost will be much and it will be worth the performance jump on your 1440 resolution , especially with raising the minimum fps.

Have a look at some benches @ 1440 and see the comparison between the two and if you feel it is worth it.

savatage79

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
Oh I have, that's the thing. What I mean is the benches ive seen like the one from overclock I don't believe was the superclocked model. That's sort of what im asking is if the Superclocked Ti model is a lot better than the reference 780ti?

Deuce65

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
If you trade up to their reference card you will not notice any improvement. Actually, it may be slower; I have a very modest overclock on the classified and it actually very slightly beats out the benchmarks ive seen for the TI. So yes, if you are going to upgrade to the TI you will want to get the superclocked (if they have any left), but don't expect much at all, 5% or so would be my guess. Of course, this assumed you don't overclock the TI. If you did, that would put it back in the lead, but if you are planning to do that I suggest waiting for the classified to arrive sometime next month.

monsta

Splendid
Ah ok , I gotcha now, I guess it comes down to if they have the same cooler, so you are better off getting the one with the ASX cooler, it will overclock better , run cooler and quieter and give you better performance

Here is the line up , looks like the SC has the same reference cooler, go for the ASX model

http://www.evga.com/articles/00795/

Deuce65

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013

I would guess the superclocked ti would be 5% or so faster then the 780ftw, maybe a little bit more maybe as much as 10%. Please note that I am making an educated guess here, I haven't actually tried it!

savatage79

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
I hear ya man, no worries ;) im just trying to get thoughts so youre good. The issue for me is that while im a big time PC gamer and what not, im not deep into the know all of whats better, whats this or that.

Like I think what confuses me a bit on some of these cards is like this, like if that Is in the ballpark gain %...then I simply didn't know how powerful the 780 ftw was from the getgo.

Like I assumed it was about 3/4s of a Titan. And it seemed the Ti models were perhaps a 1/4 or 1/2 MORE of what the Titan is. Which to me seems like a large jump from a 780 ftw to a 780 ti...but I mean, doesn't seem that's the case from what im sort of getting here.

Deuce65

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
Well your card is a bit better then that because of the clock it is running at, the cooler, etc. If you step up, you'll have to pay 150ish plus shipping and you will get the reference TI (not any of the good ones, like the acx cooler you have on your ftw) which will probably perform almost exactly the same as the card you have.
If on the other hand you outright buy the 780ti superclocked with acx cooler (currently out of stock), you will get better performance but then your stuck paying full retail and trying to sell your old card, which with the recent price cuts may be difficult.....
Especially considering you are planning on upgrading to 800 series when it comes out, I would def sit tight with the card you have. My advice anyways :)

monsta

Splendid
If you have to pay something like 150 then just stick to the 780 FTW, have a chat with EVGA about the cost, just my guess that the difference in performance from your 780 FTW to a reference 780ti could be like approx 10 - 15 percent depending on the game of course. Which isn't massive really.

savatage79

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
Deuce, I hear ya. Although im not to terribly worried about selling the 780 if I were to because Ive been selling all my cards over the years and I seem to land what im lookin. The FTW card I have is 540ish it seems retail right now, so I think 400-450 is more than viable for a card barely used and still one heck of a card in general despite price cuts. 100-150 off for this card is a steal imho in that price range, but...I might hang tight.

I just like buying the best I can get...the 780 FTW is amazing, but the Ti sounds more like the card I was hoping to buy with the FTW. I was just thinking that the superclocked Ti with ACX cooling would be a good 40%- 50% faster than the card I have now.

savatage79

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
Last thing to mention. So I emailed evga and they said the ti will be faster than any 780 model.

So, with that in mind...does that change anyone's opinion on my 780 ftw being faster than a ti?

Should I just go that route?