Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

is physx really worth the price (gtx 760)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 9, 2013 7:23:30 AM

i can get the GTX 760 and the R9280X (20$ price difference)
PhysX kept me on the nvidia side up and now i'm wondering,
does it make that much of a difference on games and if the number of games that support it is high enough to get the lower performance 760 or get the 280X and not worry about it?
November 9, 2013 7:32:17 AM

Simply grab the R9-280X.
Because:

1-280X has more RAM, and nowadays games are a memory hog.
2-280X out performs the 760, so they are basically not at the same level.
3-280X has better memory interface.
m
0
l
November 9, 2013 7:40:59 AM

since AMD has all 3 consoles, and pc hardware. Their OpenCL api will get far more attention in the future than physX ever did. Nvidia cards can do OpenCL because its an open standard but AMD will be a little better at it.
m
0
l
Related resources
November 9, 2013 8:05:10 AM

IAMEXTREME said:
Simply grab the R9-280X.
Because:

1-280X has more RAM, and nowadays games are a memory hog.
2-280X out performs the 760, so they are basically not at the same level.
3-280X has better memory interface.


farrengottu said:
since AMD has all 3 consoles, and pc hardware. Their OpenCL api will get far more attention in the future than physX ever did. Nvidia cards can do OpenCL because its an open standard but AMD will be a little better at it.


are you sure about this? the performance on the R9 is better but on my screen that wont make a big difference so its not that much of a performance difference for me atleast
m
0
l
November 9, 2013 8:17:39 AM

Gmodjackass said:
IAMEXTREME said:
Simply grab the R9-280X.
Because:

1-280X has more RAM, and nowadays games are a memory hog.
2-280X out performs the 760, so they are basically not at the same level.
3-280X has better memory interface.


farrengottu said:
since AMD has all 3 consoles, and pc hardware. Their OpenCL api will get far more attention in the future than physX ever did. Nvidia cards can do OpenCL because its an open standard but AMD will be a little better at it.


are you sure about this? the performance on the R9 is better but on my screen that wont make a big difference so its not that much of a performance difference for me atleast


What is your resolution?
m
0
l
November 9, 2013 1:04:11 PM

First of all, be clear that the responses you get to questions about PhysX are going to very biased towards that posters preferences. It would be a rare thing indeed to hear someone running an AMD card sing the praises of PhysX.

The way to get around that is to take your own logical step by step assessment. Start by looking up videos of "PhysX ON vs OFF" in games you like to play and see for yourself. Here's a few:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBilg4EHj-M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5qhaEghJ74
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWFkDrKvBRU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j89kwKfYf5w


Then stack up the pluses and negatives of your options. PhysX is a clear, tangible benefit to owning an Nvidia card, as are Adaptive VSync, TXAA, FXAA, Shadowplay, Geforce Experience, forced Ambient Occlusion, better drivers, more efficient GPUs, etc. What are the clear, tangible benefits of owning an AMD card? Answer that, stack them up, and then decide if you're okay with never, ever enabling PhysX for the entire length of your video card ownership.
m
0
l

Best solution

November 9, 2013 1:47:23 PM

They are BOTH great cards..........its a tough choice. I would see what games are in your library, what they support(Its well known some games run BETTER on AMD, while others run better on Nvidia)and go from there.

Without a doubt Nvidia PhysX well add some eye candy to SOME games, but not all........and honestly some games allow for more eye candy like PhysX on the AMD platform(that's what proper DirectX 11 implementation is for ;)  )too. Just remember this though......eye candy sucks when the frame rate takes a major hit. If you can't run at 60fps minimum, then IMO the eye candy isn't worth it. Smooth frame rate will always be KING first and foremost. Right now, AMD holds a slight market share over Nvidia(20% vs. 19% I believe with Intel being the BOSS). When PS4 and Xbox 1 release, that number will skyrocket in AMD's favor.

I do agree though with the first 2 posts above though. Now might be a good time to jump on the AMD bandwagon. AMD OWNS all 3 of the new platforms(Wii U, PS4, Xbox 1), and you can sure as hell bet that developers will be optimizing games using DirectX for the next generation on AMD architecture, both PC and console.
Share
November 9, 2013 2:19:10 PM

Actually Nvidia has outsold AMD by almost 3 to 1 over the past few years. That's the reason why AMD has had to drop prices and offer incredible game bundles to even make a dent.
m
0
l
November 9, 2013 2:31:58 PM

Past few years really doesn't matter, look at the last year, with Sony,Microsoft and Nintendo console mfg. AMD pushes more processing units combined now than Nvidia. And its only going to favor AMD short and long term. Desktop gpu's btw are a dying breed in many ways cept for the hobby enthusiasts. Its all in the consoles, and mobile electronics now. AMD positioned themselves well.
m
0
l
!