Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Good Gaming/Editing Build?

Last response: in Systems
Share
November 9, 2013 7:56:34 AM

I am looking at building my first custom desktop for the purposes of high end gaming, some video editing and web development. I've been all over looking for suitable parts that might fit my needs and with this being my first build, I can be a little lost when deciding what is best for my needs. With the help of pcpartpicker.com i came up with this:

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($274.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($124.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($155.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($209.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($209.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($705.91 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case ($139.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: Corsair 1200W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($299.99 @ Microcenter)

Total: $2201.82

My budget is around $2800-$3000. I would like to add an additional graphics card and max memory later on.

Please let me know if there is a better configuration for my needs.

Thanks
a c 298 4 Gaming
November 9, 2013 8:01:41 AM

1200w is stupid overkill even for 2 780ti's. get 850w.

drop the cooler if you aren't planning to overclock, which you cannot do with that CPU anyway.

That RAM is OVERPRICED. You should be able to get 16gb for half that.
November 9, 2013 8:07:52 AM

tiny voices said:
1200w is stupid overkill even for 2 780ti's. get 850w.

drop the cooler if you aren't planning to overclock, which you cannot do with that CPU anyway.

That RAM is OVERPRICED. You should be able to get 16gb for half that.


Ok, so if I drop the cooler, I should just go air cooled then? I've read around that everyone is still pushing 3rd gen Intel over the 4th. The core I have listed should do well correct?
Related resources

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
November 9, 2013 8:13:27 AM
Share

Complete overkill, but still under budget for the same parts you listed:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4820K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor ($304.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110 94.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($259.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($138.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($174.93 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.94 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.94 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Video Card ($727.27 @ TigerDirect)
Case: NZXT Switch 810 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case ($146.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk II 950W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($145.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $2134.00
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-09 11:10 EST-0500)

Socket 2011 Cpu, allows an upgrade to a 6 core I7 down the road if you ever wish too. 16gb's of quad channel memory, plenty for your needs. Solid motherboard. Powerful enough Psu to handle two 780ti's in SLI, and good efficiency and a great brand. Fastest clocked 780ti out right now. 250gb SSD, paired with 2 1TB HDD's for raid 0 goodness. Solid cpu cooler to take advantage of the unlocked multiplier for your Cpu.
a b 4 Gaming
November 9, 2013 8:14:49 AM

This Rig destroys any other rig in here built.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.75 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($124.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH Z87 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($229.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($121.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card (3-Way CrossFire) ($299.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card (3-Way CrossFire) ($299.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card (3-Way CrossFire) ($299.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master HAF X ATX Full Tower Case ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec 1300W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($255.00 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $2323.64
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-09 11:14 EST-0500)
November 9, 2013 8:31:33 AM

Swordkd said:
Complete overkill, but still under budget for the same parts you listed:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4820K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor ($304.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110 94.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($259.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($138.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($174.93 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.94 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.94 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Video Card ($727.27 @ TigerDirect)
Case: NZXT Switch 810 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case ($146.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk II 950W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($145.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $2134.00
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-09 11:10 EST-0500)

Socket 2011 Cpu, allows an upgrade to a 6 core I7 down the road if you ever wish too. 16gb's of quad channel memory, plenty for your needs. Solid motherboard. Powerful enough Psu to handle two 780ti's in SLI, and good efficiency and a great brand. Fastest clocked 780ti out right now. 250gb SSD, paired with 2 1TB HDD's for raid 0 goodness. Solid cpu cooler to take advantage of the unlocked multiplier for your Cpu.


I like this layout. So, I should go for a 4th gen Intel? I would also like to have a HDMI port on the motherboard if possible.
After seeing the NZXT Switch case, I am now torn between this and the Corsair 750D. I am looking for a sleek and elegant case with a side window. Why choose the NZXT over the Corsair?
a c 298 4 Gaming
November 9, 2013 8:32:42 AM

An HDMI port on the motherboard does nothing as it will be disabled if you have graphics card(s) installed.
November 9, 2013 8:34:56 AM

tiny voices said:
An HDMI port on the motherboard does nothing as it will be disabled if you have graphics card(s) installed.


Gotcha
a c 298 4 Gaming
November 9, 2013 8:36:57 AM

gpickett said:
tiny voices said:
An HDMI port on the motherboard does nothing as it will be disabled if you have graphics card(s) installed.


Gotcha


Video is connected to the GPU not the motherboard.
a b 4 Gaming
November 9, 2013 8:40:25 AM

Either the Corsair or Nzxt case would be a good option. They are both great quality, so go for the looks you like. Like I said, my buid is crazy overkill, but it has upgrade options too. Well, if you count a 550 dollar Cpu as a possible upgrade. The 4820k runs faster stock than the 4770k or 3770k, so might possibly have more overclocking headroom. Good cooler included for this too. Although, after looking at prices, I'm going to switch my recommendation to this one: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-r... Cooler Master partnered with Swiftech to develop this unit, and it's a winner. It's designed to be taken apart and added to, so down the road you could replace/add a pump, reservoir, radiator or add a water block to the graphics card too.
November 9, 2013 8:48:46 AM

Swordkd said:
Either the Corsair or Nzxt case would be a good option. They are both great quality, so go for the looks you like. Like I said, my buid is crazy overkill, but it has upgrade options too. Well, if you count a 550 dollar Cpu as a possible upgrade. The 4820k runs faster stock than the 4770k or 3770k, so might possibly have more overclocking headroom. Good cooler included for this too. Although, after looking at prices, I'm going to switch my recommendation to this one: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-r... Cooler Master partnered with Swiftech to develop this unit, and it's a winner. It's designed to be taken apart and added to, so down the road you could replace/add a pump, reservoir, radiator or add a water block to the graphics card too.


Ok. I'm not sure if I'm going to overclock or not.
November 9, 2013 8:52:54 AM

gpickett id go with swordkd build seems solid
a b 4 Gaming
November 9, 2013 8:56:32 AM

If you don't want to overclock, then there is a ton of money to save. However, it's always nice to have the option. So you could drop the cooler for now and save that money while still getting all the other parts.
November 9, 2013 8:58:03 AM

tofo said:
gpickett id go with swordkd build seems solid


That's what I'm leaning towards
a b 4 Gaming
November 9, 2013 3:15:07 PM

tiny voices said:
1200w is stupid overkill even for 2 780ti's. get 850w.

drop the cooler if you aren't planning to overclock, which you cannot do with that CPU anyway.

That RAM is OVERPRICED. You should be able to get 16gb for half that.

this, im surprised OP picked $200 RAM
!