Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

2014 Future Proof Rig

Tags:
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
Share
November 9, 2013 1:26:52 PM

Hi all, I would like to get some advice if these are the right parts for my rig. And please give another option for chassis.

My budget would be less than 2000$

I would be doing some Extreme Gaming (Max Settings), some Video Streaming(Twitch), Photo Editing(Lightroom/Photoshop).

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.97 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($124.99 @ Microcenter)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($6.20 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V PRO ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($159.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($209.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($329.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master HAF XM (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Microcenter)
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 39.9 CFM 120mm Fans ($27.33 @ Mwave)
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series SP120 High Performance Edition (2-Pack) 62.7 CFM 120mm Fans ($27.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($74.99 @ Microcenter)
Monitor: Asus VE278Q 27.0" Monitor ($269.98 @ Amazon)
Other: ELE-G3 Dragunov Gaming Laser Mouse
Other: GK-003 DRAGON RECON GAMING KEYBOARD
Total: $1796.38
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-09 16:16 EST-0500)

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/aowassup/saved/2CHP

Planning on finishing the build on 2014.

Not planning on waiting for DDR4.

More about : 2014 future proof rig

November 9, 2013 1:38:56 PM

Adrian Ocampo said:
Hi all, I would like to get some advice if these are the right parts for my rig. And please give another option for chassis.

My budget would be less than 2000$

I would be doing some Extreme Gaming (Max Settings), some Video Streaming(Twitch), Photo Editing(Lightroom/Photoshop).

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.97 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($124.99 @ Microcenter)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($6.20 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V PRO ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($159.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($209.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($329.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master HAF XM (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Microcenter)
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 39.9 CFM 120mm Fans ($27.33 @ Mwave)
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series SP120 High Performance Edition (2-Pack) 62.7 CFM 120mm Fans ($27.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($74.99 @ Microcenter)
Monitor: Asus VE278Q 27.0" Monitor ($269.98 @ Amazon)
Other: ELE-G3 Dragunov Gaming Laser Mouse
Other: GK-003 DRAGON RECON GAMING KEYBOARD
Total: $1796.38
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-09 16:16 EST-0500)

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/aowassup/saved/2CHP

Planning on finishing the build on 2014.

Not planning on waiting for DDR4.


This is definitely a future proof rig. But instead of a GTX 770, i would get the Sapphire R9 280x TOXIC - it is a LOT better than the 770 and is a lot more future proof. This GPU is completely future proof and is the fastest r9 280x there is, as it has a large factory overclock.
m
0
l
Related resources
November 9, 2013 2:02:37 PM

There is no such thing as a future proof build , but the situation is worse when you by an already out dated processor .

m
0
l
November 9, 2013 2:03:32 PM

There is no such thing as a future proof build , but the situation is worse when you by an already out dated processor .

m
0
l
November 9, 2013 2:07:26 PM

Outlander_04 said:
There is no such thing as a future proof build , but the situation is worse when you by an already out dated processor .



The i5 3570k is not out dated. It will still be a good CPU for the next 2-3 years. But to be more future proof get the Core i5 4670k.
m
0
l
November 9, 2013 2:07:57 PM

@AndyC53 Thank you for that input. R9 280x definitely hands down beaten the 770. But would it be cost efficient for my build? :) 
m
0
l
November 9, 2013 2:11:11 PM

@Outlander_04 Fine, haha. Then a build that could last for 5+ years. With some upgrades in the near future.
@AndyC53 are 4670K good OC'ers? because ive been reading that Haswells dont really do well with overclocking?
m
0
l
November 9, 2013 2:34:06 PM

Move to socket 1150 and the 4670K

It will have a longer useful life than any socket 1155 processor
m
0
l
November 9, 2013 2:46:41 PM

Outlander_04 said:
Move to socket 1150 and the 4670K

It will have a longer useful life than any socket 1155 processor


Will consider this. Also i think Broadwells would also be compatible with the 1150 socket?
m
0
l
November 10, 2013 2:35:50 AM

Adrian Ocampo said:
@Outlander_04 Fine, haha. Then a build that could last for 5+ years. With some upgrades in the near future.
@AndyC53 are 4670K good OC'ers? because ive been reading that Haswells dont really do well with overclocking?


If you want to overclock then don't go with intels 4th gen cpu's. haswell CPU's have a big heat problem, so if you are overclocking go with the 3rd Gen CPU(i5) - http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Core-i5-3570K-Quad-Core-Pro...
Or if you want to do a MASSIVE overclock go with the second gen(i5) - http://www.amazon.com/Intel-i5-2500K-Quad-Core-Processo...
The 2nd and 3rd gen CPU's are slower than the 4th gen, but only by about 10%. So if you aren't going to OC then go with the 4670k. But if you are planning on OCing go with the 2nd or 3rd gen.
m
0
l
November 10, 2013 2:38:19 AM

Adrian Ocampo said:
@AndyC53 Thank you for that input. R9 280x definitely hands down beaten the 770. But would it be cost efficient for my build? :) 


The GTX 770 and R9 280x cost around the same amount of money, it really depends on which retailer you buy the GPU from. Amazon is a good and reliable retailer, I would recommend going with them.
http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-PCI-Express-Graph...
m
0
l
November 10, 2013 4:33:24 AM

AndyC53 said:
Adrian Ocampo said:
@Outlander_04 Fine, haha. Then a build that could last for 5+ years. With some upgrades in the near future.
@AndyC53 are 4670K good OC'ers? because ive been reading that Haswells dont really do well with overclocking?


If you want to overclock then don't go with intels 4th gen cpu's. haswell CPU's have a big heat problem, so if you are overclocking go with the 3rd Gen CPU(i5) - http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Core-i5-3570K-Quad-Core-Pro...
Or if you want to do a MASSIVE overclock go with the second gen(i5) - http://www.amazon.com/Intel-i5-2500K-Quad-Core-Processo...
The 2nd and 3rd gen CPU's are slower than the 4th gen, but only by about 10%. So if you aren't going to OC then go with the 4670k. But if you are planning on OCing go with the 2nd or 3rd gen.


But i read that LGA1150 can be used for Broadwells aswell right?
m
0
l
November 10, 2013 5:00:01 AM

Adrian Ocampo said:
AndyC53 said:
Adrian Ocampo said:
@Outlander_04 Fine, haha. Then a build that could last for 5+ years. With some upgrades in the near future.
@AndyC53 are 4670K good OC'ers? because ive been reading that Haswells dont really do well with overclocking?


If you want to overclock then don't go with intels 4th gen cpu's. haswell CPU's have a big heat problem, so if you are overclocking go with the 3rd Gen CPU(i5) - http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Core-i5-3570K-Quad-Core-Pro...
Or if you want to do a MASSIVE overclock go with the second gen(i5) - http://www.amazon.com/Intel-i5-2500K-Quad-Core-Processo...
The 2nd and 3rd gen CPU's are slower than the 4th gen, but only by about 10%. So if you aren't going to OC then go with the 4670k. But if you are planning on OCing go with the 2nd or 3rd gen.


But i read that LGA1150 can be used for Broadwells aswell right?


Yes that is true. The future intel processors will be using this socket.
m
0
l
November 10, 2013 5:29:12 AM

AndyC53 said:
Adrian Ocampo said:
@AndyC53 Thank you for that input. R9 280x definitely hands down beaten the 770. But would it be cost efficient for my build? :) 


The GTX 770 and R9 280x cost around the same amount of money, it really depends on which retailer you buy the GPU from. Amazon is a good and reliable retailer, I would recommend going with them.
http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-PCI-Express-Graph...


Will go for R9 280x then. How does R9 290 or R9 290x fair?
m
0
l
November 10, 2013 6:56:12 AM

Adrian Ocampo said:
AndyC53 said:
Adrian Ocampo said:
@AndyC53 Thank you for that input. R9 280x definitely hands down beaten the 770. But would it be cost efficient for my build? :) 


The GTX 770 and R9 280x cost around the same amount of money, it really depends on which retailer you buy the GPU from. Amazon is a good and reliable retailer, I would recommend going with them.
http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-PCI-Express-Graph...


Will go for R9 280x then. How does R9 290 or R9 290x fair?


I would just go with the R9 280x. It will run ALL next generation games(COD-Ghosts, BF4 . . .etc.) on the HIGHEST Settings. The best R9 280x GPU is Sapphire's TOXIC edition. It is very overpowered and has a big factory overclock.http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-PCI-Express-Graph...
But be warned that this card is VERY long. make sure your case can support a 308mm card.
m
0
l
November 10, 2013 8:50:10 AM

AndyC53 said:
Adrian Ocampo said:
AndyC53 said:
Adrian Ocampo said:
@AndyC53 Thank you for that input. R9 280x definitely hands down beaten the 770. But would it be cost efficient for my build? :) 


The GTX 770 and R9 280x cost around the same amount of money, it really depends on which retailer you buy the GPU from. Amazon is a good and reliable retailer, I would recommend going with them.
http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-PCI-Express-Graph...


Will go for R9 280x then. How does R9 290 or R9 290x fair?


I would just go with the R9 280x. It will run ALL next generation games(COD-Ghosts, BF4 . . .etc.) on the HIGHEST Settings. The best R9 280x GPU is Sapphire's TOXIC edition. It is very overpowered and has a big factory overclock.http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-PCI-Express-Graph...
But be warned that this card is VERY long. make sure your case can support a 308mm card.


Please check out my revised build list :) 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.98 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($124.99 @ Microcenter)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($6.20 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($189.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($209.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card ($309.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT Phantom (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Microcenter)
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series SP120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 37.9 CFM 120mm Fans ($27.98 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series SP120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 37.9 CFM 120mm Fans ($27.98 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series SP120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 37.9 CFM 120mm Fans ($27.98 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($111.98 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VE278Q 27.0" Monitor ($269.98 @ Amazon)
Other: ELE-G3 Dragunov Gaming Laser Mouse
Other: GK-003 DRAGON RECON GAMING KEYBOARD
Total: $1882.01
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-10 11:48 EST-0500)
m
0
l

Best solution

November 10, 2013 10:52:10 AM

Adrian Ocampo said:
AndyC53 said:
Adrian Ocampo said:
AndyC53 said:
Adrian Ocampo said:
@AndyC53 Thank you for that input. R9 280x definitely hands down beaten the 770. But would it be cost efficient for my build? :) 


The GTX 770 and R9 280x cost around the same amount of money, it really depends on which retailer you buy the GPU from. Amazon is a good and reliable retailer, I would recommend going with them.
http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-PCI-Express-Graph...


Will go for R9 280x then. How does R9 290 or R9 290x fair?


I would just go with the R9 280x. It will run ALL next generation games(COD-Ghosts, BF4 . . .etc.) on the HIGHEST Settings. The best R9 280x GPU is Sapphire's TOXIC edition. It is very overpowered and has a big factory overclock.http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-PCI-Express-Graph...
But be warned that this card is VERY long. make sure your case can support a 308mm card.


Please check out my revised build list :) 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.98 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($124.99 @ Microcenter)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($6.20 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($189.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($209.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card ($309.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT Phantom (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Microcenter)
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series SP120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 37.9 CFM 120mm Fans ($27.98 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series SP120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 37.9 CFM 120mm Fans ($27.98 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series SP120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 37.9 CFM 120mm Fans ($27.98 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($111.98 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VE278Q 27.0" Monitor ($269.98 @ Amazon)
Other: ELE-G3 Dragunov Gaming Laser Mouse
Other: GK-003 DRAGON RECON GAMING KEYBOARD
Total: $1882.01
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-10 11:48 EST-0500)


Everything looks good, I was going to recommend you getting a Swiftech H220 instead of the H100i, but then I realised that you cant get the swiftech h220 in america . . .
Yeah, so everything looks good. I couldn't have perfected in any way.
Share
November 10, 2013 11:16:29 AM

AndyC53 said:
Adrian Ocampo said:
Hi all, I would like to get some advice if these are the right parts for my rig. And please give another option for chassis.

My budget would be less than 2000$

I would be doing some Extreme Gaming (Max Settings), some Video Streaming(Twitch), Photo Editing(Lightroom/Photoshop).

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.97 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($124.99 @ Microcenter)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($6.20 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V PRO ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($159.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($209.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($329.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master HAF XM (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Microcenter)
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 39.9 CFM 120mm Fans ($27.33 @ Mwave)
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series SP120 High Performance Edition (2-Pack) 62.7 CFM 120mm Fans ($27.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($74.99 @ Microcenter)
Monitor: Asus VE278Q 27.0" Monitor ($269.98 @ Amazon)
Other: ELE-G3 Dragunov Gaming Laser Mouse
Other: GK-003 DRAGON RECON GAMING KEYBOARD
Total: $1796.38
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-09 16:16 EST-0500)

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/aowassup/saved/2CHP

Planning on finishing the build on 2014.

Not planning on waiting for DDR4.


This is definitely a future proof rig. But instead of a GTX 770, i would get the Sapphire R9 280x TOXIC - it is a LOT better than the 770 and is a lot more future proof. This GPU is completely future proof and is the fastest r9 280x there is, as it has a large factory overclock.


This, the 280X TOXIC is the best r9 280x card you will find.
m
0
l
June 8, 2014 8:26:32 AM

Hi Andy i detected an error in your explanation...you said sapphire r9 280x toxic is a lot quicker...true... your mistake was to compare her with the gtx 770...the are both to be used in different resolutions...gtx 770 2GDD5 in 1080p and Toxic 3GDD5 in 1440p...ofc the benchmarks u posted http://www.anandtech.com/show/7406/the-sapphire-r9-280x... were more for 1440p cards(2560x1440)... the gtx 770 fall clearly behind with that resolution...stay more sharp regards ;) 

m
0
l
June 8, 2014 8:31:43 AM

For a long-term build, with a Corsair PSU and a solid budget, I'd much rather have one of the HX or TX versions rather than the lower-tier CXs.
m
0
l
!