(HD 7870) Display driver has stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Nexic

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
Hi,

i recently purchased a new Radon Sapphire HD7870 with a new PSU: Corsair CX500M.

The card works flawless in every Game and every Stress test (FurMark / 3DMark). But when I am on my desktop doing some surfing or office stuff the driver crashes and gives me the "Display driver has stopped responding..." error, every 10- 30 minutes.
This is how the screen looks after the driver crash (sorry for the blurry picture, but the screen lasts only seconds and screen capture is not possible with a crashed driver):

The recovery takes only secounds but it's frustrating and I want to get rid of this error, any Ideas?
=/

I tried the following things:
- reseating the new graphic card
- reinstalling the drivers ( I got rid of the old files with Drive Sweeper in safe mode)
- older driver versions
- beta driver versions
- Microsoft "Fix" http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2665946

I will NOT:
- change the voltage of the GPU / RAM and risk losing my guaranty ( card is 2 days old)

Nexic

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013

The GPU temp is 32 °C when it happens (idle).
Right before the driver crashes the GPU clock is at 300Mhz and memory at 150 Mhz, both the lowest possible values when GPU load is at 0,0%.
As I said, it only happens on the Desktop not in high load situations.
The GPU is not overclocked.

The PSU is a brand new Corsair CX500M (500 Watt).

The problem occurs only in idle mode, when the GPU is at its lowest clock. Lowering the clock even further doesn't make any sense to me, could you explain why you think this is a possible solution?