Sign in with
Your question

(HD 7870) Display driver has stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 9, 2013 2:28:00 PM

Hi,

i recently purchased a new Radon Sapphire HD7870 with a new PSU: Corsair CX500M.

The card works flawless in every Game and every Stress test (FurMark / 3DMark). But when I am on my desktop doing some surfing or office stuff the driver crashes and gives me the "Display driver has stopped responding..." error, every 10- 30 minutes.
This is how the screen looks after the driver crash (sorry for the blurry picture, but the screen lasts only seconds and screen capture is not possible with a crashed driver):

The recovery takes only secounds but it's frustrating and I want to get rid of this error, any Ideas?
=/

I tried the following things:
- reseating the new graphic card
- reinstalling the drivers ( I got rid of the old files with Drive Sweeper in safe mode)
- older driver versions
- beta driver versions
- Microsoft "Fix" http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2665946

I will NOT:
- change the voltage of the GPU / RAM and risk losing my guaranty ( card is 2 days old)

November 9, 2013 5:42:05 PM

Try lowering the core and memory clocks by 100 MHz.

What are the GPU and VRM temps when this happens? Also, what is the make and model of your PSU?
November 10, 2013 2:53:42 AM

ihog said:
Try lowering the core and memory clocks by 100 MHz.

What are the GPU and VRM temps when this happens? Also, what is the make and model of your PSU?

The GPU temp is 32 °C when it happens (idle).
Right before the driver crashes the GPU clock is at 300Mhz and memory at 150 Mhz, both the lowest possible values when GPU load is at 0,0%.
As I said, it only happens on the Desktop not in high load situations.
The GPU is not overclocked.

The PSU is a brand new Corsair CX500M (500 Watt).

The problem occurs only in idle mode, when the GPU is at its lowest clock. Lowering the clock even further doesn't make any sense to me, could you explain why you think this is a possible solution?
Related resources
November 10, 2013 5:48:17 AM

So, I tested the card in a seperate and clean system, the driver crashes are the same.

I assume the card is faulty and I will return it next week.

November 10, 2013 12:52:10 PM

Eh, it probably wouldn't have done anything, but it couldn't hurt. I'd say its faulty as well.
!