Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

HTPC turned Gaming PC Help

Last response: in Systems
Share
November 9, 2013 3:19:13 PM

First let me describe my current configuration.

Current HTPC Build
Processor: i5 2500k
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-H67A-UD3H-B3
Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
PSU: SILVERSTONE SST-ST40F-ES 400W ATX 12V 2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 ST1000DM005/HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
Case: nMediaPC 2000B

I am planning on building a 4th gen i5 gaming system in the near future but I was thinking about buying the video card and ram first and putting it in the HTPC (which I built in 2011) until I can buy the rest of the components for my gaming build.

This is the planned build so far:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core $239.99
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 $124.49
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 $82.99
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM $84.99
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB $249.99
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill RNX-N250PCe 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 $17.99
Case: BitFenix Phenom M Midnight Black MicroATX Mini Tower $107.98
Power Supply: Corsair 600W ATX12V $54.99 (just a random pick)

If you have any suggestions on changes I should make they are welcome.

I want this build to be SLI capable but still in a small form factor. I want small form because it will be moved pretty often.

Ok so now on to my questions:
1) Will the video card and ram work as an added expansion to the HTPC until I finish the new build? Also will it work fine with the 2 original 2GB plus the 2 new 4GB of ram for a total of 12GB?
2) What size PSU is needed? If I add a second GTX 760 what size PSU would I need?
3) How would you improve or change my build without going much over the current price tag?

More about : htpc turned gaming

November 9, 2013 3:31:17 PM

I would suggest getting video card and power supply instead of ram. 400w is a bit low for a 760, it might be able to handle it but I would go the safe route and get the power supply first.

For SLI 750 would be best.
m
0
l
November 10, 2013 1:27:20 PM

FastGunna said:
I would suggest getting video card and power supply instead of ram. 400w is a bit low for a 760, it might be able to handle it but I would go the safe route and get the power supply first.

For SLI 750 would be best.



I am new to gaming pc's so please excuse my ignorance. If I buy a gtx 760 right now and decided to add a second card a few years later, would I have to find a similar card or can you just add any nvidia available at the time? Basically what I am asking is can you mix match cards when using SLI, for example can you put a gtx 760 with a gtx 670 or gtx 770 etc. etc.
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

November 10, 2013 3:34:08 PM

squeakh said:
FastGunna said:
I would suggest getting video card and power supply instead of ram. 400w is a bit low for a 760, it might be able to handle it but I would go the safe route and get the power supply first.

For SLI 750 would be best.



I am new to gaming pc's so please excuse my ignorance. If I buy a gtx 760 right now and decided to add a second card a few years later, would I have to find a similar card or can you just add any nvidia available at the time? Basically what I am asking is can you mix match cards when using SLI, for example can you put a gtx 760 with a gtx 670 or gtx 770 etc. etc.


Not with nvidia cards, 760 can only sli with 760. Wen your ready to upgrade you'll have to choose between getting a second 760 or upgrading to a newer single card.
Share
November 10, 2013 6:46:42 PM

I wouldn't even upgrade the i5. Throw in a cheap cooler and overclock it a bit. Buy 8Gb of RAM and a GPU (the 760 or 770 imo) and you should be good. 400 watts may be cutting it close, so you may want a 500 watt or more PSU.
m
0
l
November 11, 2013 9:24:07 AM

mastrom101 said:
I wouldn't even upgrade the i5. Throw in a cheap cooler and overclock it a bit. Buy 8Gb of RAM and a GPU (the 760 or 770 imo) and you should be good. 400 watts may be cutting it close, so you may want a 500 watt or more PSU.


Which ram would you use? I basically just picked one with a low cas latency (8 I think) and 1866 but to be honest I really don't know much about ram.

What is a good liquid cooler? I once gutted an xbox 360 and monitor and mounted everything in a Pelican briefcase and I am thinking about pulling the xbox guts out and installing the pc, so I would need a slim radiator. The bottom portion of the case is under 3" tall so it would take some modding of psu and an angled pci-e adapter but I'm sure I could do it.
m
0
l
November 11, 2013 2:43:09 PM

squeakh said:
mastrom101 said:
I wouldn't even upgrade the i5. Throw in a cheap cooler and overclock it a bit. Buy 8Gb of RAM and a GPU (the 760 or 770 imo) and you should be good. 400 watts may be cutting it close, so you may want a 500 watt or more PSU.


Which ram would you use? I basically just picked one with a low cas latency (8 I think) and 1866 but to be honest I really don't know much about ram.

What is a good liquid cooler? I once gutted an xbox 360 and monitor and mounted everything in a Pelican briefcase and I am thinking about pulling the xbox guts out and installing the pc, so I would need a slim radiator. The bottom portion of the case is under 3" tall so it would take some modding of psu and an angled pci-e adapter but I'm sure I could do it.


For RAM, any name-brand (Corsair, Crucial, etc) 2 X 4 GB RAM should be good. I would look for 1600 MHz or faster and CAS 9 or less.

Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme is a good value on sale. The Cooler Master Seidon water-coolers can often be found cheap as well.
m
0
l
November 11, 2013 11:25:56 PM

mastrom101 said:
squeakh said:
mastrom101 said:
I wouldn't even upgrade the i5. Throw in a cheap cooler and overclock it a bit. Buy 8Gb of RAM and a GPU (the 760 or 770 imo) and you should be good. 400 watts may be cutting it close, so you may want a 500 watt or more PSU.


Which ram would you use? I basically just picked one with a low cas latency (8 I think) and 1866 but to be honest I really don't know much about ram.

What is a good liquid cooler? I once gutted an xbox 360 and monitor and mounted everything in a Pelican briefcase and I am thinking about pulling the xbox guts out and installing the pc, so I would need a slim radiator. The bottom portion of the case is under 3" tall so it would take some modding of psu and an angled pci-e adapter but I'm sure I could do it.


For RAM, any name-brand (Corsair, Crucial, etc) 2 X 4 GB RAM should be good. I would look for 1600 MHz or faster and CAS 9 or less.

Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme is a good value on sale. The Cooler Master Seidon water-coolers can often be found cheap as well.


How does this look as an upgrade on my HTPC to a gaming pc:
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/squeakh/saved/2Ngm

Probably won't sli right away but I'm planning long term.
m
0
l
!