Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

New build - criticism, comments - suggestions

Last response: in Systems
Share
November 9, 2013 5:22:33 PM

Hi,

Here is the build I put together today, of course I am seeking to save where I can.

Goal of the new PC: Gaming - MMORPG's specifically such as Blade & Soul - other games such as League of Legends and future releases that may be demanding. Possibly CS:GO, and other titles that run off of the Crysis 2 engne or Unreal engine.

I do NOT plan on overclocking. Just buying parts in case I decide to for future upgrades.

Build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1ZUlU

Comments? Suggestions? Motherboard too much? What about the GPU? Budget is around 1k but I did slightly go over. Please be forward and harsh in your critciism, I want brute honesty, this is an expensive investment.
November 9, 2013 6:08:44 PM

I would say instead of getting the i5 I would get a fx-8350 which is cheaper and better performance than the i5-3570k. Also instead of the 670 gpu get a R9 280x which again is better and cheaper than the 670.
m
0
l
November 10, 2013 1:19:41 AM

I have read reviews that this card performs relatively high and often bottlenecks if your PC isn't up to par. People recommend overclocking processors just to keep up with the card. Would this be the case with a GTX 670 by Gigabyte versus the R9 280X? I only see about a $35 difference and people seem to be much more satisfied with the GTX series.

Additionally, AMD from what I have heard from enthusiasts often say that AMD makes very fast processors, but do not last long and unfortunately lack in quality while intel provides quality, long-lasting products which of course cost more. In this case, I am willing to spend more for quality instead of saving to have something short-term.
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

November 10, 2013 2:19:57 AM

newegg has this bundle right now has almost every thing you will need beside the case and gpu and os but this can save you some money buying it in a bundle http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?I...
Share
a b à CPUs
November 10, 2013 2:37:26 AM

An 8350 runs 290x in crossfire without hiccups. So i'd recommend that for a budget deal, and I'd throw out the corsair RAM for gskill. (And if you play bf4, 1600 wont cut it)
so look at this:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f32400c10d8g...
for a motherboard, you'd want a 990fx chipset-ud7, sabertooth or crosshair are my recommendations.
as for a psu, you can save with something like this:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/ocz-power-supply-oczzt750w
670 is a old card, and is more expensive than a 280x. the 280x does better, has mantle which may or may not increase improvement for amd. and it has directx 11.2 and good overclocking.
and with the saving, get a cooler master 212 evo and battlefield 4, or a x60 if the case supports it instead of the 212. or h100i

if you are getting thermal paste, possibly look at tuniq tx-4 extreme (just follow its instructions)
m
0
l
November 10, 2013 2:54:02 AM

Jacob-Harris said:
newegg has this bundle right now has almost every thing you will need beside the case and gpu and os but this can save you some money buying it in a bundle http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?I...


Wow. That's a nice combo. Good savings, but - is the PSU enough to run the build mentioned in my above post? I don't want my PSU running at max capacity just to keep the system on. Secondly, is that motherboard a good replacement to the ASRock Extreme6?

I forgot to mention, I do NOT plan on overclocking but instead I was going to buy a system and have parts that could be overclock as a "just in case" kind of thing.

On another note, the GTX670 OC by Gigabyte -- too old? Or not good enough? I don't play BF 4, COD, or any other FPS'. Maybe CS:GO but nothing else really, I'm a MMO guy.
m
0
l
November 10, 2013 2:56:33 AM

Jake Wenta said:
An 8350 runs 290x in crossfire without hiccups. So i'd recommend that for a budget deal, and I'd throw out the corsair RAM for gskill. (And if you play bf4, 1600 wont cut it)
so look at this:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f32400c10d8g...
for a motherboard, you'd want a 990fx chipset-ud7, sabertooth or crosshair are my recommendations.
as for a psu, you can save with something like this:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/ocz-power-supply-oczzt750w
670 is a old card, and is more expensive than a 280x. the 280x does better, has mantle which may or may not increase improvement for amd. and it has directx 11.2 and good overclocking.
and with the saving, get a cooler master 212 evo and battlefield 4, or a x60 if the case supports it instead of the 212. or h100i

if you are getting thermal paste, possibly look at tuniq tx-4 extreme (just follow its instructions)


I haven't read amazing things about GSkill versus Corsair. Why GSkill? And these other parts, they seem like parts to buy for overclocking but I don't plan on doing it (as referenced above, will edit OP)

m
0
l
November 10, 2013 3:01:14 AM

khubani said:
Jacob-Harris said:
newegg has this bundle right now has almost every thing you will need beside the case and gpu and os but this can save you some money buying it in a bundle http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?I...


Wow. That's a nice combo. Good savings, but - is the PSU enough to run the build mentioned in my above post? I don't want my PSU running at max capacity just to keep the system on. Secondly, is that motherboard a good replacement to the ASRock Extreme6?

I forgot to mention, I do NOT plan on overclocking but instead I was going to buy a system and have parts that could be overclock as a "just in case" kind of thing.

On another note, the GTX670 OC by Gigabyte -- too old? Or not good enough? I don't play BF 4, COD, or any other FPS'. Maybe CS:GO but nothing else really, I'm a MMO guy.


Well 600 watts should be fine if you look in the top right corner of your build the estimated watts is only around 360 and what kinda of games do you play? Ops scratch that i have not played any of them games but League and i do know that that game runs good on almost any gpu
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 10, 2013 3:03:09 AM

khubani said:


I haven't read amazing things about GSkill versus Corsair. Why GSkill? And these other parts, they seem like parts to buy for overclocking but I don't plan on doing it (as referenced above, will edit OP)



For one-it is 2400 at cas 10, so you can run at 2133 at cas 9. second, it is cheaper than the corsair you choose. if you want to say you have corsair in your system-go with it. but for performance and budget-gskill. (but even on the best builds they use gskill, they oc like champs and at enthusiast levels-are extremely similar (but not so much price wise)) and gskill holds world records.

And i undestand you won't OC, but you could always just raise the multiplier on stock voltage. but the aftermarket cooler is for better airflow and quieter running and less heat.
m
0
l
November 10, 2013 3:04:20 AM

Jacob-Harris said:
khubani said:
Jacob-Harris said:
newegg has this bundle right now has almost every thing you will need beside the case and gpu and os but this can save you some money buying it in a bundle http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?I...


Wow. That's a nice combo. Good savings, but - is the PSU enough to run the build mentioned in my above post? I don't want my PSU running at max capacity just to keep the system on. Secondly, is that motherboard a good replacement to the ASRock Extreme6?

I forgot to mention, I do NOT plan on overclocking but instead I was going to buy a system and have parts that could be overclock as a "just in case" kind of thing.

On another note, the GTX670 OC by Gigabyte -- too old? Or not good enough? I don't play BF 4, COD, or any other FPS'. Maybe CS:GO but nothing else really, I'm a MMO guy.


Well 600 watts should be fine if you look in the top right corner of your build the estimated watts is only around 360 and what kinda of games do you play?


I generally don't trust sources like that because I have a 650W in my current system and its a dual core with a GTX260 and I've seen that graphic cards, such as the GTX 670 have a minimum system power requirement of 500W. I only play one game as of right now and that's league of legends, and I heavily watch movies, streams, and TV shows on my system, especially in HD. I will be playing MMO's, and possibly Counter-Strike: Global Offensive. Waiting on Blade and Soul and might try other games down the line that run on Unreal and Crysis latest engines, but nothing as far as Battlefield or COD. Never will play it.
m
0
l
November 10, 2013 3:05:21 AM

Jake Wenta said:
khubani said:


I haven't read amazing things about GSkill versus Corsair. Why GSkill? And these other parts, they seem like parts to buy for overclocking but I don't plan on doing it (as referenced above, will edit OP)



For one-it is 2400 at cas 10, so you can run at 2133 at cas 9. second, it is cheaper than the corsair you choose. if you want to say you have corsair in your system-go with it. but for performance and budget-gskill. (but even on the best builds they use gskill, they oc like champs and at enthusiast levels-are extremely similar (but not so much price wise)) and gskill holds world records.

And i undestand you won't OC, but you could always just raise the multiplier on stock voltage. but the aftermarket cooler is for better airflow and quieter running and less heat.


I don't know the first thing about overclocking. Still recommend it?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 10, 2013 3:08:52 AM

khubani said:

I don't know the first thing about overclocking. Still recommend it?


Yes, but you don't have to overclock it. but there are many guides here on how to's. But regardless, for the ram to run at its rated speeds, you still have to set it yourself. because by default, all ddr3 runs at 1333.

RAM now make it easier for you, they come with XMP's, extreme memory profile. you just choose it and it does everything for you.
m
0
l
November 10, 2013 3:10:36 AM

Jake Wenta said:
khubani said:

I don't know the first thing about overclocking. Still recommend it?


Yes, but you don't have to overclock it. but there are many guides here on how to's. But regardless, for the ram to run at its rated speeds, you still have to set it yourself. because by default, all ddr3 runs at 1333.

RAM now make it easier for you, they come with XMP's, extreme memory profile. you just choose it and it does everything for you.


Ok, so if I purchase OC'd RAM - I would obviously need a board that supports that clock speed, correct? And in that event, I buy a compatible board and the RAM at higher clock speed, I'd literally go into the BIOs, and select the RAM's clock speed and it would be set, touch and go?
m
0
l
November 10, 2013 3:11:37 AM

Well I have never OC either so won't know but for the same price as your gtx 670 you could this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... for almost the same pricce and it is newer and a bit faster also with more cuda cores then the 670 it should run adobe programs a bit faster if you should ever use them. and right now it comes with two free games
m
0
l
November 10, 2013 3:13:24 AM

Jacob-Harris said:
Well I have never OC either so won't know but for the same price as your gtx 670 you could this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... for almost the same pricce and it is newer and a bit faster also with more cuda cores then the 670 it should run adobe programs a bit faster if you should ever use them


I see. The only reason I'm so adamant on certain parts like the Gigabyte GTX670 OC is because it was reviewed by Tom's Hardware and rewarded as the best graphic card of it's time when compared to other cards and it provided a persuasive argument on purchasing it, and now investing in another card puts me in a bit of a situation because, besides reviews, benchmarks and hierarchy charts I really wouldn't know what else to look at in a card as a determinant to buy it
m
0
l
November 10, 2013 3:15:57 AM

khubani said:
Jacob-Harris said:
Well I have never OC either so won't know but for the same price as your gtx 670 you could this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... for almost the same pricce and it is newer and a bit faster also with more cuda cores then the 670 it should run adobe programs a bit faster if you should ever use them


I see. The only reason I'm so adamant on certain parts like the Gigabyte GTX670 OC is because it was reviewed by Tom's Hardware and rewarded as the best graphic card of it's time when compared to other cards and it provided a persuasive argument on purchasing it, and now investing in another card puts me in a bit of a situation because, besides reviews, benchmarks and hierarchy charts I really wouldn't know what else to look at in a card as a determinant to buy it


well i can say that evga makes good cards and the 770 is a 700 series not a 600 hundred so it is newer and it is a bit faster then the 670 for almost the exact same price
m
0
l
November 10, 2013 3:17:27 AM

Jake Wenta said:
khubani said:

I don't know the first thing about overclocking. Still recommend it?


Yes, but you don't have to overclock it. but there are many guides here on how to's. But regardless, for the ram to run at its rated speeds, you still have to set it yourself. because by default, all ddr3 runs at 1333.

RAM now make it easier for you, they come with XMP's, extreme memory profile. you just choose it and it does everything for you.


Assuming that you agree with my reply to my last post regarding overclocking RAM - would you recommend this? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
November 10, 2013 3:19:29 AM

I would, my favorite rams are gskills and corsair i just get which ever one is cheaper at the moment i go to buy
m
0
l
November 10, 2013 3:20:03 AM

Jacob-Harris said:
khubani said:
Jacob-Harris said:
Well I have never OC either so won't know but for the same price as your gtx 670 you could this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... for almost the same pricce and it is newer and a bit faster also with more cuda cores then the 670 it should run adobe programs a bit faster if you should ever use them


I see. The only reason I'm so adamant on certain parts like the Gigabyte GTX670 OC is because it was reviewed by Tom's Hardware and rewarded as the best graphic card of it's time when compared to other cards and it provided a persuasive argument on purchasing it, and now investing in another card puts me in a bit of a situation because, besides reviews, benchmarks and hierarchy charts I really wouldn't know what else to look at in a card as a determinant to buy it


well i can say that evga makes good cards and the 770 is a 700 series not a 600 hundred so it is newer and it is a bit faster then the 670 for almost the exact same price


It makes sense but when you essentially look at anything that's better than the other and almost cheaper than what you were originally looking at, it does raise a red flag.

If I'm buying a graphics card that's later and greater than the GTX 670 but is barely priced over the GTX 670, then why isn't it just that much more expensive? Are the performances large enough to say that the GTX 770 is in fact a better card?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 10, 2013 3:24:14 AM

700's are rebatched 600's, except the 780. same as amds R series, excluding the 290 and 260x.
and no, simply because for cheaper, you can get the 2400. and just lower the timings. if you need help when you have the guide, we would be happy to help.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
15% off
m
0
l
November 10, 2013 3:24:32 AM

well i have read that the 770 is a rebatch of the 680 so it is really the next step up from the 670
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 10, 2013 3:27:50 AM

Jacob-Harris said:
well i have read that the 770 is a rebatch of the 680 so it is really the next step up from the 670


And the 280x a rebath of the 7950.
Price to performance, amd wins. I using OpenCL-amd, if professional rendering and adobe and other uses CUDAs from nvidia. I would recommend AMD for Gaming.
m
0
l
November 10, 2013 3:30:53 AM

Jake Wenta said:
Jacob-Harris said:
well i have read that the 770 is a rebatch of the 680 so it is really the next step up from the 670


And the 280x a rebath of the 7950.
Price to performance, amd wins. I using OpenCL-amd, if professional rendering and adobe and other uses CUDAs from nvidia. I would recommend AMD for Gaming.


Agreed AMD has a better price to performance ratio
m
0
l
November 10, 2013 3:31:54 AM

Also maybe mantle could be something big for AMD as well
m
0
l
November 10, 2013 3:33:41 AM

Sorry I don't understand what you mean by lowering the timings - is that something that you do in the BIOs - like a drop down and select a profile or does it get a little more complicated?

Also, what card are you guys recommending for my current build for high end gaming but EXCLUDING BF 4, COD and such.
m
0
l
November 10, 2013 3:38:47 AM

well if you want amd then i would say the r9 280x, and nvidia the gtx 770. but good thing to note the amd card has 3gb of vram and then nvidia card only has 2gb and with mantle coming out soon that could make amd cards get better performance
m
0
l
November 10, 2013 3:41:13 AM

but if you use alot of adobe products the cuda cores nvidia uses are faster for that kind of stuff
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 10, 2013 3:43:04 AM

nidia has 2, 3, 4, 6gb. my 660ti had 3gb (before it died yesterday -.-)

uh oh, a cod player? im not helping. haha jk.
as games use more ram, faster ram is better.-not sure for cod yet, but always better
timings are set in BIOS, when you get the PC, I can help, just PM me. Each timing has specific meanins and controls the RAM variously. In gets complicated, ut it is easy to do very basic stuff. Just PM as youre setting up and I'll tell you :) 
m
0
l
November 10, 2013 3:47:08 AM

Jake Wenta said:
nidia has 2, 3, 4, 6gb. my 660ti had 3gb (before it died yesterday -.-)

uh oh, a cod player? im not helping. haha jk.
as games use more ram, faster ram is better.-not sure for cod yet, but always better
timings are set in BIOS, when you get the PC, I can help, just PM me. Each timing has specific meanins and controls the RAM variously. In gets complicated, ut it is easy to do very basic stuff. Just PM as youre setting up and I'll tell you :) 


A bit of topic but i notice you use a sabertooth mobo are those good mobos? been thinking about getting one myself when i go to get a new cpu
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 10, 2013 3:51:04 AM

Jacob-Harris said:

A bit of topic but i notice you use a sabertooth mobo are those good mobos? been thinking about getting one myself when i go to get a new cpu


Very good. Couldn't be happier, but if you have watercooling-you lose airflow. and the VRM's get HOT, so be sure to add a fan to blow directly at them, or exhaust as intake or both.
m
0
l
November 10, 2013 3:53:21 AM

Jake Wenta said:
Jacob-Harris said:

A bit of topic but i notice you use a sabertooth mobo are those good mobos? been thinking about getting one myself when i go to get a new cpu


Very good. Couldn't be happier, but if you have watercooling-you lose airflow. and the VRM's get HOT, so be sure to add a fan to blow directly at them, or exhaust as intake or both.


currently i am air cooling but i was going to get a h100i in the near future
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 10, 2013 3:59:05 AM

Jacob-Harris said:


currently i am air cooling but i was going to get a h100i in the near future


if you can fit a kraken x60, i'd recommend that first. if not, then an h100i. but If you are going to spend 100 on a h100i plus ~30 for fans for push pull and maybe some alterations, i'd recommend
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/21235/ex-wat-270/XSPC...
or something similar.
m
0
l
November 10, 2013 4:05:25 AM

Jake Wenta said:
Jacob-Harris said:


currently i am air cooling but i was going to get a h100i in the near future


if you can fit a kraken x60, i'd recommend that first. if not, then an h100i. but If you are going to spend 100 on a h100i plus ~30 for fans for push pull and maybe some alterations, i'd recommend
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/21235/ex-wat-270/XSPC...
or something similar.


well i dont want a cooler with a reservoir i got to fill because i move my pc every once and a while to friends houses for small LAN partys and i dont want to have to emty and fill it when i move it and my case is the CM storm stryker so would kraken fit?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 10, 2013 4:27:02 AM

you definitely hijacked this thread haha. but regardless, it states a 200mm on top, usually those support 2 140mm fans, if it does-then it should support a kraken. but those pictures and description aren't too great.
m
0
l
November 10, 2013 4:31:32 AM

ya sorry about straying so far off topic but it looks like it may, dont know how to be sure I will do some research to find out for sure. But I got to go so I hope khubani gets what he needs, and thanks for your help
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 10, 2013 4:35:34 AM

Jacob-Harris said:
ya sorry about straying so far off topic but it looks like it may, dont know how to be sure I will do some research to find out for sure. But I got to go so I hope khubani gets what he needs, and thanks for your help


just open it and look at the slots and pre-drilled screw points. you can also take a ruler and measure. 140mm=14cm=~5.5in if im not mistaken.
m
0
l
November 10, 2013 4:37:57 AM

Jake Wenta said:
Jacob-Harris said:
ya sorry about straying so far off topic but it looks like it may, dont know how to be sure I will do some research to find out for sure. But I got to go so I hope khubani gets what he needs, and thanks for your help


just open it and look at the slots and pre-drilled screw points. you can also take a ruler and measure. 140mm=14cm=~5.5in if im not mistaken.


ok will do thanks agian
m
0
l
November 10, 2013 8:29:40 PM

Well then, now that his issue is resolved...haha. So, I imagine staying with the R9 280X GPU, then?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 10, 2013 8:36:12 PM

khubani said:
Well then, now that his issue is resolved...haha. So, I imagine staying with the R9 280X GPU, then?


Depends, it will do good-as you can overclock it and has 11.2, or if you find a good deal on the 7950 ghz, i'd go with that. (And some 7950's offer 3 games)
depends if you want slightly more performance and features and power or games.
m
0
l
November 10, 2013 9:47:34 PM

I don't think overclocking is honestly necessary for me based on my observations thus far and discussions I've had. It's apparent to me at this point that overclocking is more of a bragging-rights kind of thing and people normally do it just as a means of trying to push their systems where as, my goal here is to get a stable, performance system that I would prefer not to overclock (although it maybe capable of doing so) -- I have also heard that overclocking RAM is actually quite dangerous but I haven't gotten around to asking my friend why since he had to leave. Either way, allow me to reiterate that, I do not know the first thing about overclocking or would understand the benefits it would yield because I haven't experienced it. As long as my games run stable and consistently well enough where I don't have to adjust anything because of bottlenecks, I am happy.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 10, 2013 10:22:09 PM

khubani said:
I don't think overclocking is honestly necessary for me based on my observations thus far and discussions I've had. It's apparent to me at this point that overclocking is more of a bragging-rights kind of thing and people normally do it just as a means of trying to push their systems where as, my goal here is to get a stable, performance system that I would prefer not to overclock (although it maybe capable of doing so) -- I have also heard that overclocking RAM is actually quite dangerous but I haven't gotten around to asking my friend why since he had to leave. Either way, allow me to reiterate that, I do not know the first thing about overclocking or would understand the benefits it would yield because I haven't experienced it. As long as my games run stable and consistently well enough where I don't have to adjust anything because of bottlenecks, I am happy.


just because you know nothing of it, doesnt mean you cant learn :D .
and only poor overclocks cause instability.
it is not a bragging right, as cpu overclocks increase physics performance and [performance in cpu heavy games like bf4 and crysis 3. RAM oc is a little difficult, but extremely simple if you just enter what the ram is rated for.
as for bottlenecks, there will ALWAYS be one. because you will always be limited by one of your components, let it be the gpu or cpu. of course it isnt always necessary-especially if you are running a perfect 60 all the time with vsync.
but im not telling you to overclock, im just telling you the potentials in these components oc wise.
im sorry for my errors, but im using a crappy mini notepad-so my punctuation and spelling aren't the greatest right now.
m
0
l
November 10, 2013 11:22:27 PM

I can learn, it's just that I don't want to experiment overclocking on my new system, at least not yet or until I am ready to. So, in any case, since I will not be overclocking at this point - what are my options as far as motherboard and RAM? Is the GPU still reasonable considering now that I will not be overclocking (yet)?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 10, 2013 11:28:48 PM

khubani said:
I can learn, it's just that I don't want to experiment overclocking on my new system, at least not yet or until I am ready to. So, in any case, since I will not be overclocking at this point - what are my options as far as motherboard and RAM? Is the GPU still reasonable considering now that I will not be overclocking (yet)?


You're just reading overclocking i think :lol: . I said you dont have to do it and why people do it. i said the components to get and motherboards. (990fx chipsets-recommend ud7, crosshair v and sabertooth)
m
0
l
November 10, 2013 11:31:05 PM

Aren't the 990fx series for AMD processors?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 11, 2013 12:24:33 AM

khubani said:
Aren't the 990fx series for AMD processors?


yea, they are. but the 8350 is the choice unless you were spending 350+ on the cpu alone. (i7 4770k)
m
0
l
November 11, 2013 12:51:58 AM

I am buying the i5-3570k for $190
m
0
l
November 11, 2013 3:12:38 AM

khubani said:
I am buying the i5-3570k for $190


I like that that processor that is the one i have in my build does all i need it to but but since it is a k series I would pick up a aftermarket cooler and overclock it a bit
m
0
l
!