Tags:
  • Wireless
  • Gaming
  • Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
November 9, 2013 8:57:47 PM

$1000 mITX build w/ onboard wireless

Approximate Purchase Date: 1-2 weeks (Nov 15-30)
Budget Range: up to $1100
System Usage: gaming, internet, movies
Monitor Resolution: 1080p
Requires wireless connection and discret GPU, ITX build
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/benedictorange/saved/2MhP

I'm looking to build a SFF mITX gaming pc with wireless internet connection and ultra quiet. Any advice or suggestions are welcome. Pick away. And if there are any issues noticed I might have overlooked.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.98 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C12P SE14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($64.99 @ Mwave)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H55 57.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ TigerDirect)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87E-ITX Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($119.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.94 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($249.99 @ Microcenter)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-S12B FLX 59.2 CFM 120mm Fan ($19.99 @ Mwave)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-F12 PWM 55.0 CFM 120mm Fan ($23.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($71.30 @ Newegg)
Case: Cubitek Mini Cube ($77.89)
Total: $1103
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-09 23:49 EST-0500)

More about : 1000 itx gaming system advice suggestions thoughts

November 10, 2013 6:00:33 AM

The only possible problem i see is the PSU. It might be able to handle the 760 but I would feel more comfortable with going with atleast 600w.
m
l
November 10, 2013 3:35:02 PM

is there a particular reason I would want a higher wattage PSU? CPU and GPU are going to use 250W maxed and PCPartPicker lists the system as needing 337W.

I've seen some charts for PSUs with the highest efficiency at around 50% load and then I've read some people saying less than near full load isn't good for the PSU.

Anyone have any recommendations? Preferably modular
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

November 10, 2013 5:25:41 PM

Hey. So, your going to want modular, but I wouldn't recommend that PSU even though the wattage is fine. I'd go with something with more quality, maybe an XFX or a different corsair series PSU such as the RM or AX. I have a EVGA SuperNova 750w Semi Modular and I'm pretty happy with it. You may want some 6pin cable extensions if your building for looks. For the other specs of your build, it all looks decent except for a few things:

I'd water cool. Just buy a corsair h80i or h100i, they aren't expensive and are super easy to install. They'll give you better performance, and look sweet. I have the h100i (I installed quieter fans on it), and I have no regrets.

For your GPU, amp it up to a GTX 770 for 50$ more. You'll beat the heck out of a GTX 760, and max out most games.

As for your storage, get a Caviar Black. Much more likely to NOT fail. Also, Black Friday is coming up. Pick yourself up a nice 120gb Solid State Drive for half off. You won't regret it's awesomeness. I recommend a Samsung 840 120gb, but it's up to you and whats on sale.

If your not doing too much video editing, knock off 8gb of the RAM. I sorta regret buying 16GB, my usage never really passes 6gb when gaming. But when I'm rendering edits it's helpful.

If you want it quiet, you definitely should use Corsair AF120 Quiet Editions. They look amazing, and are SUPER quiet. I use them on my h100i, and they are dead silent even at 100%.
November 10, 2013 6:24:33 PM

Thanks for the advice spinny.

Getting a different PSU seems more and more like a good thing to do. Especially since the unit I picked is 149.86mm long and I only have 150mm of room. I believe the cables will bump against the 120mm fan or rad.

I've read reviews of this case that suggest to use a blower gpu because of the limited ventilation. But that is the reason I decided to go with a 8.5in GPU, it should give a bit more breathing room for airflow. And while I'm not sure it helps or not, I decided to use a downdraft cpu cooler in hopes that it may provide some residual cooling to the hidden storage drives and to the ram as well. I was also thinking of using a multidirectional tower cpu cooler and directing the airflow to the back of the case.

I kind of like what Spinny is saying though, using a gtx770 and rad for the cpu.

The gtx770 is about 2in longer than the gtx 760, because I'm trying to make this build as quiet as possible, the DC2OC 770 might restrict airflow. I suppose I'm not sure. Are gtx 770s generally quiet GPUs or is there a quiet/shorter blower model?

With my current build every fan is below 20 dBa and the DC2OC 760 is around 30 dBa under load, it also gives some indication that temperate of that specific GPU runs low, the system should be pretty quite. But how will temps be with a 760 or a 770?

edit:
I just checked out theEVGA SuperNova 750w Modular and non-Modular and they both are too long for the case. Anyone have recommendations for the PSU? I have 150mm/5.9in to work with, with the cables sticking out I probably have about 137mm/5.4in of PSU length.

And an additional question, would 1600 ram run cooler than 1866?
m
l
November 10, 2013 6:58:33 PM

My friend has 2 Asus GTX 770 DirecCU II's. They are dead silent, and run cold. I've noticed your running into a lot of space issues. To be honest dude, that shouldn't be a big issue for anyone unless you've already bought the case. Pick a different case. If your going for a small build, use the BitFenix Prodigy. It's pretty epic, or maybe even the Corsair 350d. It's small, and epic!

For a small PSU, this should be perfect. You should be fine with 450w, but nothing lower. It's 124.9x63.6x100

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

m
l
November 10, 2013 9:41:41 PM

Spinny99 said:
I've noticed your running into a lot of space issues.

Believe me when I say I'm fully aware this case can run into space issues. On more than one occasion I've thought,"@$&! it I'll just do a mATX build"

I don't really want to go with a shoebox build but I have thought about it. I really like the look of the cubitek mini.

m
l
November 11, 2013 5:07:36 AM

By all means, it's not a bad case. If you like that case, then you will like this one. The Corsair Carbide Air 540. It's not very big, has a beautiful window, and support for just about everything. Comes packed with fans, and isn't too big on the budget. It also hides the PSU in the back which I find interesting. You can mount up to six 120mm or five 140mm fans which is plenty.

http://www.corsair.com/us/pc-cases/carbide-series-pc-ca...

And does that PSU I mentioned in the last post work out if your still going to go with the cubitek?
m
l
November 11, 2013 1:11:42 PM

I decided to go with a SeaSonic S12II 620w and a h55. I'll probably make some more alterations because I do have a little more time before ordering. Although I don't like the idea of a cooler failing being able to take along with it 4 of my most expensive parts. But, using a AIO does make airflow much simpler.
Spinny99 said:
If you like that case, then you will like this one. The Corsair Carbide Air 540. It's not very big, has a beautiful window, and support for just about everything.

It looks like a nice case but did you noticed it's a full ATX case and quite large?
m
l
November 11, 2013 2:36:39 PM

Yes, It's a bit bigger than your choice, but don't be overwhelmed it's not that big. I'm glad you've made some good changes to your build. If you have any other questions, just ask. Hope I helped!
m
l