Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

i5 3570k OC Question

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
November 9, 2013 10:39:56 PM

So I just began dicking around with the BIOS settings for oc'ing my 3570k, and tbh I don't know jack shit about it. That been said, I've reached the conclusion that the clock ratio is what I wanna shoot for, [i.e x34=3.4ghz,35=3.5,etc,etc.] but you know that.

That been said, it is locked, and has a maximum of 3.8ghz[38], and if you enter otherwise it is results back to its factory 3.4ghz. My MOBO is a z68-ud3h-b3, which really is proving to be a ballbuster here.

I've been skimming Youtube for identical boards/cpu's as mine, and the option to adjust the clock was unlocked. How does one do this? Because the only other way I OC'd was BLOK or some shit like that x1100, and it crashed my comp, with a forced restarting 3-4 times, with a timeframe of 1second inbetween each restart.

I figured this is cancer for my rig, so I put that method to rest. I have a 620PSU, which may draw relevance to the voltage, of which I don't know jack shit about either.

So how do I properly unlock the clock ratio? And in addition, as an insurance policy, can someone generalize the fundamentals of OCing? And none of that guide garbage, more of a tl:D r version would be preferred.

You're the best.

More about : 3570k question

a c 353 K Overclocking
November 9, 2013 10:50:47 PM

First are you positive it's a 3570K and not a plain wrapper 3570 - no K, and do you have the latest BIOS, the Z68 originally came out for SB CPUs, reuires either 1 or 2 BIOS updates to fully utilize the 3570K model (think with your mobo it's just the latest BIOS to enable all IB CPUs but a couple older mobos it took 2 updates, they screwed up on the first, don't remember which ones though)
m
0
l
November 9, 2013 10:52:57 PM

Tradesman1 said:
First are you positive it's a 3570K and not a plain wrapper 3570 - no K, and do you have the latest BIOS, the Z68 originally came out for SB CPUs, reuires either 1 or 2 BIOS updates to fully utilize the 3570K model (think with your mobo it's just the latest BIOS to enable all IB CPUs but a couple older mobos it took 2 updates, they screwed up on the first, don't remember which ones though)


Nop it's definetley a 3570k. Now talking BIOS, trying to find an upgrade for a Z68 is like trying to find democracy in the Middle East, I spent the past 45 minutes looking and haven't found shit.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
November 9, 2013 10:55:51 PM

Do you have an aftermarket cooler for your CPU? Or are you using the factory Intel cooler? You need a better after-market cooler for decent overclocking.
m
0
l
November 9, 2013 10:57:26 PM

babernet_1 said:
Do you have an aftermarket cooler for your CPU? Or are you using the factory Intel cooler? You need a better after-market cooler for decent overclocking.


You say the word cooler, I hear the word fan. I dropped about 20-30$ on a 3rd party external fan if that puts any points on the board.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
November 9, 2013 11:04:01 PM

Praedos said:
babernet_1 said:
Do you have an aftermarket cooler for your CPU? Or are you using the factory Intel cooler? You need a better after-market cooler for decent overclocking.


You say the word cooler, I hear the word fan. I dropped about 20-30$ on a 3rd party external fan if that puts any points on the board.


Which fan did you buy?

m
0
l

Best solution

a c 353 K Overclocking
November 9, 2013 11:08:29 PM
Share
November 9, 2013 11:24:00 PM

babernet_1 said:
Praedos said:
babernet_1 said:
Do you have an aftermarket cooler for your CPU? Or are you using the factory Intel cooler? You need a better after-market cooler for decent overclocking.


You say the word cooler, I hear the word fan. I dropped about 20-30$ on a 3rd party external fan if that puts any points on the board.


Which fan did you buy?





It's been a good year or so, but something in this ballpark:


http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-Plus-RR-B10-2...
m
0
l
a c 353 K Overclocking
November 9, 2013 11:27:06 PM

Save it to your drive and follow the directions to flash the BIOS
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
November 9, 2013 11:33:00 PM

Good cooler, with that new bios you should be set.
m
0
l
!