Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Is an i7 870 still good for gaming?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 10, 2013 7:13:35 AM

I have an i7 870, 8gb RAM, gtx 560 ti and a 700 watt PSU. I want to get a new GPU like a GTX 780 or is it time to get a new processor first?

More about : 870 good gaming

a c 272 4 Gaming
November 10, 2013 7:17:28 AM

Yes it is still a decent CPU.
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 281 4 Gaming
November 10, 2013 7:21:01 AM

just drop GTX 780 without changing the cpu
i7 870 is still a good performer

btw be specific on your 700W PSu model
Share
Related resources
November 10, 2013 7:33:13 AM

rolli59 said:
Yes it is still a decent CPU.


AMD Radeon said:
just drop GTX 780 without changing the cpu
i7 870 is still a good performer

btw be specific on your 700W PSu model


Alright, thank you. Sorry about that, I know it's a Cooler Master PSU but not sure of the model. Do you think if I get a GTX 780 that my current system will hold me over for a year or two before I should build a new rig? I don't know much about computers and parts and have never built one.

m
0
l
a c 272 4 Gaming
November 10, 2013 7:35:00 AM

If it is CM Extreme power you should upgrade before you risk a $500+ GPU on it.
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
November 10, 2013 7:36:50 AM

chrisfromoh said:
rolli59 said:
Yes it is still a decent CPU.


AMD Radeon said:
just drop GTX 780 without changing the cpu
i7 870 is still a good performer

btw be specific on your 700W PSu model


Alright, thank you. Sorry about that, I know it's a Cooler Master PSU but not sure of the model. Do you think if I get a GTX 780 that my current system will hold me over for a year or two before I should build a new rig? I don't know much about computers and parts and have never built one.



http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o...

You're good to go for at least 2 years with your setup and the 780

arrpee
m
0
l
November 10, 2013 7:41:45 AM

rolli59 said:
If it is CM Extreme power you should upgrade before you risk a $500+ GPU on it.


It's the Extreme Power Plus. Is that not good enough for a GTX 780?
m
0
l
a c 281 4 Gaming
November 10, 2013 7:43:24 AM

it is a very basic PSU, the capacity label is fake :) 

go upgrade to Corsair TX 650 V2
or at least XFX 550
m
0
l
November 10, 2013 7:45:15 AM

AMD Radeon said:
it is a very basic PSU, the capacity label is fake :) 

go upgrade to Corsair TX 650 V2
or at least XFX 550


Alright, if i decided on a GTX 770 instead would my current PSU be okay for that GPU?
m
0
l
a c 272 4 Gaming
November 10, 2013 7:46:42 AM

chrisfromoh said:
rolli59 said:
If it is CM Extreme power you should upgrade before you risk a $500+ GPU on it.


It's the Extreme Power Plus. Is that not good enough for a GTX 780?

Here is a review of its 600watt sibling http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eX...
They are made by the same OEM Seventeam
m
0
l
November 10, 2013 7:58:31 AM

Anonymous said:
rolli59 said:
chrisfromoh said:
rolli59 said:
If it is CM Extreme power you should upgrade before you risk a $500+ GPU on it.


It's the Extreme Power Plus. Is that not good enough for a GTX 780?

Here is a review of its 600watt sibling http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eX...
They are made by the same OEM Seventeam


Here is a review of your PSU
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-UC...

arrpee


Hmm, what do you think I should do? Upgrade my PSU and get a GTX 770 now and then a year from now a better GPU? Or can my crappy PSU work okay with a GTX 770? I want to get the most bang for my buck but still have my system balanced.
m
0
l
a c 281 4 Gaming
November 10, 2013 8:01:25 AM

dude... Corsair / XFX psu is cheap, $60ish

people buying GTX 770 obviously can afford that
m
0
l
a c 272 4 Gaming
November 10, 2013 8:03:23 AM

Anonymous said:
rolli59 said:
chrisfromoh said:
rolli59 said:
If it is CM Extreme power you should upgrade before you risk a $500+ GPU on it.


It's the Extreme Power Plus. Is that not good enough for a GTX 780?

Here is a review of its 600watt sibling http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eX...
They are made by the same OEM Seventeam


Here is a review of your PSU
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-UC...

arrpee

That is not Extreme power plus but a total different unit made by a different OEM!
m
0
l
November 10, 2013 8:11:04 AM

AMD Radeon said:
dude... Corsair / XFX psu is cheap, $60ish

people buying GTX 770 obviously can afford that


I don't mind spending the money I'm just not computer savvy so I don't really know which routes to go when it comes to upgrading. From what you told me, I should get a better PSU if i go with a GTX 780, but is it my PSU fine for a 770? If it's not i'll upgrade it but if it's fine, why spend an extra $60? I've never installed any computer parts before so my knowledge is very low on this stuff.
m
0
l
November 10, 2013 9:22:11 AM

ANY i7 or i5 is just FINE and DANDY for gaming. It doesn't matter what generation it is. Its a high quality high performance CPU. Anyone who states otherwise gets way to deep into "benchmarks" vs. real world performance.
m
0
l
November 11, 2013 9:02:56 AM

rolli59 said:
Anonymous said:
rolli59 said:
chrisfromoh said:
rolli59 said:
If it is CM Extreme power you should upgrade before you risk a $500+ GPU on it.


It's the Extreme Power Plus. Is that not good enough for a GTX 780?

Here is a review of its 600watt sibling http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eX...
They are made by the same OEM Seventeam


Here is a review of your PSU
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-UC...

arrpee

That is not Extreme power plus but a total different unit made by a different OEM!


I'm looking at newegg for a corsair tx 750 but i see many different versions. Which one should i go with?
m
0
l
November 11, 2013 10:00:00 AM

To further help you realize this I am still rolling like a king with my old 860 mate!
m
0
l
!