R9 290 crossfire performance in battlefield 4?

pk7677

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2009
Am I the only one getting crappy performance with 2 r9 290s? I play @ 1440p and with a single card I can hit about 100 fps on high but with 2 I'm getting 70~80 fps on high some settings on low. What is going on? Running the latest beta drivers. I forgot to mention that my monitor is 110hz and the cpu im running is a i5 2500k currently @ stock, maybe is that bottle necking my cards? if so how can I test it if it is my cpu bottlenecking?

Solution
Nope it is not because he is CPU bound I am having the same issue with two R9 290's and I'm running a i7-4930k @ 4.7GHz. I have been dealing with this issue for a week now and I have been researching and asking other people, and its happening to others as well. I've tried literally everything and I still get really bad performance in crossfire on Battlefield 4. I called up ASUS and they suggested to wait for drivers because they still don't even have any official drivers for the cards, only betas. and to also wait for the BF4 Mantle patch and that if it was still giving me issues told me to RMA the cards.

Here is my thread about the issue:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1440600/r9-290-having-problem-with-crossfire

and @ op for that...

what motherboard are you using, and how many GB of system RAM do you have. Some motherboards, while supporting Xfire/SLI actually suck at using it. id say in any event spend more on a single better card :]

Djentleman

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

Cpu bound.
I have the r9 290 and on 1080p ultra i get about 80fps avg.
I think my card under performing though.

Well if one runs better than 2 we can safely assume you MOBO doesnt know how to fully optimize for a SLI connection, yes it "supports" it but only the 990 chipset extreme feature packed mobo's will run a setup like that..how about power supply, how many watts we working with here. i know GPU's draw a lott of power

pk7677

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2009

mobo is a gigabyte z68xp-ud3, cpu is a 2500k at stock. 16GB 1600mhz ram.

pk7677

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2009

PSU is a OCZ 850w gold

yeah thats a good mobo and a great psu, so it must be your processor like that guy mentioned

Djentleman

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

2500k is fine at 4.0 ghz.
But you're still running into a cpu bottleneck with a 64 man server.
I did with two 7950's

DR0PBASS

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012
Nope it is not because he is CPU bound I am having the same issue with two R9 290's and I'm running a i7-4930k @ 4.7GHz. I have been dealing with this issue for a week now and I have been researching and asking other people, and its happening to others as well. I've tried literally everything and I still get really bad performance in crossfire on Battlefield 4. I called up ASUS and they suggested to wait for drivers because they still don't even have any official drivers for the cards, only betas. and to also wait for the BF4 Mantle patch and that if it was still giving me issues told me to RMA the cards.

Here is my thread about the issue:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1440600/r9-290-having-problem-with-crossfire

and @ op for that much GPU power I suggest a cpu upgrade sometime in your future.

Solution

Nicolumbus

Honorable
Dec 11, 2013
I'm running at about the same rates as you with an i7 2600k and ONE GTX 760. I play it at 1080p. I was getting really bad frame rates on anything but low until I adjusted my in-game settings. I'm guessing your are bottle-necked by the i5 also.

- Turn Motion-Blur Off. Motion blur is designed to give lower FPS settings the appearance of real movement. In other words it compensates low FPS with blurring to make it look like its moving faster. will offer you not improve the fidelity unless you are already in a low range. If I were playing at 40fps I would turn it on. It would drag it down to 30 FPS but look better.

- Turn effects down to low.

I put everything else on high and get 80-90 FPS in low intensity environements and anywhere between 40-70 during combat depending on the intensity (explosions etc.)

I read your post because I want more than my GTX 760 is giving me. If my motherboard supported SLIgo with two GTX 760's\. It will cost you about $500. But I want to try crossfiring a pair of 280x's. After reading some of the feedback though there are a lot of unhappy AMD consumers out there.

Ezra Rieben

Honorable
Apr 7, 2013

Try this, worked perfectly for me!!!

I am running Crossfire R9 280X's and dealt with major fps drop when enabling crossfire. However when I had it disabled (when I had the game running on one GPU) I would get almost always 60fps on ultra (with AA). After some research, in fact a lot of research I fixed this problem by disabling frame pacing and enabling fullscreen in game. I was running the game on borderless the whole time and this was the cause of my problem. What borderless and windowed do is they mess with your crossfire settings. It gives one GPU (in my case GPU 2) all the work but lets the other one spike up and down inconsistently. Mine would frequently drop to 30% load then back up to around 60% load (I checked the load using MSI afterburner and EVGA Precision X). If you don't understand what the last couple of sentences meant well.. then either you shouldn't have a gaming PC or I just really didn't explain well.
Im just messing, Its ok to not understand. Just do as I said, Disable frame pacing and enable fullscreen under the video settings IN GAME! you should then be good to go. I went from 30-40 fps all the way up to 60-80fps on Ultra (with AA)

Ur welcome, and I hope this worked for you!

Djentleman

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

Basically said the same thing lol

Ozzmodious

Reputable
Mar 20, 2014
I'm currently running 2 R9 290x in crossfire on a Z68X-UD3H-B3 with a 2500k at 4.4ghz and had a major issue with FPS. I upgraded to a Lepa 1600psu and waited for drivers. My one card was faster then both in BF4. it was crazy I would get 60-80 fps at 2560x1440 (overlord overclocked to 120hz) but the min I started with a second card the fps would be 30-40fps unless I looked up the sky or at something close to me. I assume this is because of draw calls. So Ther was nothing I could really do. When the new Driver release came out 14.3 all Hell broke loose! Keep in mind i'm using Mantle for BF4 and I found if you change from to Mantle or Direct X you need to change, stop the game, go to the main screen then back in again. You "CANNOT" change on the fly. Both cards started up and ran with even usage. Now Im getting 120fps in BF4 on ultra with everything cranked at 2560x1440! Hell I can even get 100 frames at med setting in my Star Citzen hangar now! My only issue is the 2500k is now maxing constantly at 100% usage... time for an upgrade I suppose (4930k?) Thats ok I want true PCIE 16x for all my cards anyway so there is limited bottle neck. All that said don't give up on the cross fire and make sure you put the 14.3 driver download in a safe place... because it works just fine.... Happy Gaming... Ozz

Batpimp

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007

hey ozz sorry to necro this thread but I am having the same issues.

My crossfire 290s are actually performing worse in 1080p. I was wondering if you could give me some advice.