Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Possible Power Supply Failure

Last response: in Components
Share
November 10, 2013 12:20:42 PM

My computer has recently been shutting down on me randomly. The computer will restart, I will see my bios, and I will go back into windows without getting an error message or BSOD. If I check my error logs I saw a "Windows Kernel event ID 41 error". I have tested all my RAM sticks in memtest, and have received no errors. However, the computer has restarted once or twice when I was running memtest. The problem persists across windows 7 and 8 with a fresh install of both OSs. I have tried each operating system on each hard drive, and the restarts have still occurred. The frequency of the restarts is random, giving me between a couple minutes or a whole day between the restarts.

I believe that this is a power supply failure, although I have not tested my PSU yet. My power supply is about a year old. My computer specs are:
ASRock 970 EXTREME4 AM3+
Radeon 7970
fx 8350
Cooler Master GX - 750W
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
Kingston SSD 128GB
Seagate 1TB

My max power needed ranges from 550-650W
My power supply is 750W
I also do not have any overclocking of my components.

I dont use most of my cpu and gpu when I am gaming. The restarts seem to be more frequent when I am gaming vs browsing the internet.
What do you think is the problem with my computer?

More about : power supply failure

a c 1194 ) Power supply
November 10, 2013 1:47:44 PM

Which Cooler Master GX 750W model do you have?

There were two models available. The now discontinued RS-750-ACAA-E3 model made by Seventeam and the currently available RS-750-ACAA-D3 model made by Enhance Electronics.

The RS-750-ACAA-E3 suffered from high ripple levels on its +3.3V and +5VSB rails. High ripple levels will damage the electrolytic capacitors on devices that use those rails. It could gradually manifest itself as intermittent system failures.

The replacement RS-750-ACAA-D3 model was suppose to correct the deficiencies of the discontinued model.

Neither model is really considered a good quality PSU.

For a system using a single Radeon HD 7970 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater system power supply. The power supply should also have a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 38 Amps or greater and have at least one 6-pin and one 8-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Sufficient Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most critical factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) may require an additional increase to the maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock being attempted.
m
0
l
November 10, 2013 4:46:37 PM

ko888 said:
Which Cooler Master GX 750W model do you have?

There were two models available. The now discontinued RS-750-ACAA-E3 model made by Seventeam and the currently available RS-750-ACAA-D3 model made by Enhance Electronics.

The RS-750-ACAA-E3 suffered from high ripple levels on its +3.3V and +5VSB rails. High ripple levels will damage the electrolytic capacitors on devices that use those rails. It could gradually manifest itself as intermittent system failures.

The replacement RS-750-ACAA-D3 model was suppose to correct the deficiencies of the discontinued model.

Neither model is really considered a good quality PSU.

For a system using a single Radeon HD 7970 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater system power supply. The power supply should also have a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 38 Amps or greater and have at least one 6-pin and one 8-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Sufficient Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most critical factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) may require an additional increase to the maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock being attempted.


I checked back to my purchase, and I have the RS750-ACAAD3-US.
It says for the +12V there is 60A. From what you are saying this should be completely fine for my computer. However, you say that it is not good quality.

Would you say that my PSU is going bad and I should return it under its warranty due to the conditions that I am experiencing?
m
0
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
November 10, 2013 4:55:36 PM

BlankCzech said:
ko888 said:
Which Cooler Master GX 750W model do you have?

There were two models available. The now discontinued RS-750-ACAA-E3 model made by Seventeam and the currently available RS-750-ACAA-D3 model made by Enhance Electronics.

The RS-750-ACAA-E3 suffered from high ripple levels on its +3.3V and +5VSB rails. High ripple levels will damage the electrolytic capacitors on devices that use those rails. It could gradually manifest itself as intermittent system failures.

The replacement RS-750-ACAA-D3 model was suppose to correct the deficiencies of the discontinued model.

Neither model is really considered a good quality PSU.

For a system using a single Radeon HD 7970 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater system power supply. The power supply should also have a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 38 Amps or greater and have at least one 6-pin and one 8-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Sufficient Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most critical factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) may require an additional increase to the maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock being attempted.


I checked back to my purchase, and I have the RS750-ACAAD3-US.
It says for the +12V there is 60A. From what you are saying this should be completely fine for my computer. However, you say that it is not good quality.

Would you say that my PSU is going bad and I should return it under its warranty due to the conditions that I am experiencing?


That PSU wouldn't even deliver 750 watts anyway. I would say replace it now or face some components dying because of that PSU failing. I would say that PSU was about $70 when new, so here is one about that price, which is of much higher quality -

XFX Core edition 750w 80+ Bronze certified PSU - http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1750snlb...

This is made by Seasonic, the best OEM for PSUs, mainly because they are the highest quality PSUs. This will power your system just fine.
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 1194 ) Power supply
November 10, 2013 5:00:15 PM

BlankCzech said:
I checked back to my purchase, and I have the RS750-ACAAD3-US.
It says for the +12V there is 60A. From what you are saying this should be completely fine for my computer. However, you say that it is not good quality.

Would you say that my PSU is going bad and I should return it under its warranty due to the conditions that I am experiencing?


You will need to test your system with a different PSU to prove that the PSU is the problem.

Without professional power supply testing equipment there's no way to determine if the PSU is definitely defective.
Share
November 10, 2013 5:08:48 PM

dottorrent said:
BlankCzech said:
ko888 said:
Which Cooler Master GX 750W model do you have?

There were two models available. The now discontinued RS-750-ACAA-E3 model made by Seventeam and the currently available RS-750-ACAA-D3 model made by Enhance Electronics.

The RS-750-ACAA-E3 suffered from high ripple levels on its +3.3V and +5VSB rails. High ripple levels will damage the electrolytic capacitors on devices that use those rails. It could gradually manifest itself as intermittent system failures.

The replacement RS-750-ACAA-D3 model was suppose to correct the deficiencies of the discontinued model.

Neither model is really considered a good quality PSU.

For a system using a single Radeon HD 7970 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater system power supply. The power supply should also have a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 38 Amps or greater and have at least one 6-pin and one 8-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Sufficient Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most critical factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) may require an additional increase to the maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock being attempted.


I checked back to my purchase, and I have the RS750-ACAAD3-US.
It says for the +12V there is 60A. From what you are saying this should be completely fine for my computer. However, you say that it is not good quality.

Would you say that my PSU is going bad and I should return it under its warranty due to the conditions that I am experiencing?


That PSU wouldn't even deliver 750 watts anyway. I would say replace it now or face some components dying because of that PSU failing. I would say that PSU was about $70 when new, so here is one about that price, which is of much higher quality -

XFX Core edition 750w 80+ Bronze certified PSU - http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1750snlb...

This is made by Seasonic, the best OEM for PSUs, mainly because they are the highest quality PSUs. This will power your system just fine.


The power supply has a peak of 900W and 750W constant. It can provide the 600-650W max my computer needs. I really want to know if the symptoms of the computer point toward the power supply failing.

m
0
l
!