Sign in with
Your question
Solved

$600 Budget Gaming PC

Last response: in Systems
November 10, 2013 3:44:16 PM

I'm looking to build my first pc which will be used primarily for gaming. Could you look over my build and let me know if there is anything I could improve on and/or look out for while building it? Thanks! http://pcpartpicker.com/p/20k0m

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($75.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk ReadyCache 32GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($39.99 @ Microcenter)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.94 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($84.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $644.83
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-10 18:42 EST-0500)

More about : 600 budget gaming

a b 4 Gaming
November 10, 2013 4:01:19 PM

the 32GB SSD will fill up quick...i would put all money allocated for storage and buy a 120GB SSD for your system drive and a few games. that should hold you over till you can add a 2nd storage 1TB or 2TB HDD.
m
l
November 10, 2013 4:07:38 PM

seller417 said:
the 32GB SSD will fill up quick...i would put all money allocated for storage and buy a 120GB SSD for your system drive and a few games. that should hold you over till you can add a 2nd storage 1TB or 2TB HDD.

Thanks. I was thinking of using the SSD only for Windows and a game or two and putting everything else (photos, musics, other programs) on the 1 TB.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 275 4 Gaming
November 10, 2013 4:47:10 PM

That 32gb SSD is not used as an actual SSD. It's used as a cache drive to make your regular HDD run a bit faster. It's not worth it. Just drop the SSD for now and get a 128gb SSD one later.
Other than that, it looks good.
a b 4 Gaming
November 10, 2013 5:13:40 PM

sjangeli said:
seller417 said:

Thanks. I was thinking of using the SSD only for Windows and a game or two and putting everything else (photos, musics, other programs) on the 1 TB.

Good idea. Windows will load smoothly and very fast!
m
l
a c 275 4 Gaming
November 10, 2013 5:19:18 PM

It won't work because you're not going to be able to install windows on it. Notice the name "SanDisk ReadyCache." It means that it's a cache drive only, so you can't install anything on it.
m
l
November 10, 2013 7:11:17 PM

realchaos said:
It won't work because you're not going to be able to install windows on it. Notice the name "SanDisk ReadyCache." It means that it's a cache drive only, so you can't install anything on it.

Phew! Thank you guys for catching that. I've taken your suggestion and dropped the 1TB drive and ReadyCache for the 128 GB Samsung 840 pro. I'll get the TB when I need to, but I'm not much of a hoarder anyways. Looking forward to fast load times on everything!

Thanks again.
m
l
a c 275 4 Gaming
November 10, 2013 7:15:09 PM

You should just stick with the 1tb HDD for now for mass storage.
When you rack up the money, you can add a 128gb SSD and reinstall windows. You won't need to re-buy windows since it's the same motherboard.
m
l
November 18, 2013 6:46:14 PM

Get rid of the hard drive and get a 120GB SSD. Also, your motherboard overheats easily and sometimes even catches fire so upgrade to this instead: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-ga970...

You should also get rid of your optical drive and use it to upgrade something else such as your processor because you don't need an optical drive and instead you could use a USB Drive.
m
l
November 18, 2013 7:32:01 PM

TheGarza said:
Get rid of the hard drive and get a 120GB SSD. Also, your motherboard overheats easily and sometimes even catches fire so upgrade to this instead: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-ga970...

You should also get rid of your optical drive and use it to upgrade something else such as your processor because you don't need an optical drive and instead you could use a USB Drive.

How would I install Windows or games without an optical drive?
m
l
a c 275 4 Gaming
November 18, 2013 7:36:51 PM

You can do it via a usb drive by getting the OS iso file onto a bootable usb drive and boot from the usb instead of the optical drive.
Honestly, I think it's still worth having an optical drive for convenience sake and they're fairly cheap.
m
l
November 18, 2013 7:41:11 PM

sjangeli said:
TheGarza said:

realchaos said:
You can do it via a usb drive by getting the OS iso file onto a bootable usb drive and boot from the usb instead of the optical drive.
Honestly, I think it's still worth having an optical drive for convenience sake and they're fairly cheap.

Yup
m
l
November 18, 2013 8:01:41 PM

TheGarza said:
sjangeli said:
TheGarza said:

realchaos said:

Yup

The convenience is worth $15 to me. Thanks for the interesting idea, but it doesn't seem worth the hassle of having a 2nd computer to create iso's because my primary computer doesn't have a drive.
m
l
!