Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

I5 4670K vs FX 8350? Which for future proofing?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
November 10, 2013 8:57:46 PM

Hello, looking to build a computer and was wondering which CPU+GPU combination should I get?
I5 4670K and a PowerColour HD 7970 OC 3GB
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...
Or
FX-8350 and a sapphire R9 280X Vapour-X edition?
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...
a c 220 à CPUs
November 10, 2013 9:05:33 PM

This has been discussed a thousand times and as usual will incite a flamewar.

EITHER will serve you well depending on small preferences.

There is no such thing as future proofing as no one knows how things will be 2 years from now, so no matter what anyone tells you, its ALL assumptions, not fact.

m
0
l
November 10, 2013 9:08:55 PM

Novuake said:
This has been discussed a thousand times and as usual will incite a flamewar.

EITHER will serve you well depending on small preferences.

There is no such thing as future proofing as no one knows how things will be 2 years from now, so no matter what anyone tells you, its ALL assumptions, not fact.


Alright in that case will have eight cores really benefit me, I don't plan of doing any video editing and maybe some recordings.
Which CPU overclock better on average?
And is PowerColour a reliable brand?
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 81 à CPUs
November 10, 2013 9:10:20 PM

Depends on what you are doing with it .

Neither are future proof . Both will be obsolete in less than a year

The R9 280X is a rebadged 7970 so paying more for it is probably not smart unless it has a better cooler
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 10, 2013 9:11:15 PM

no one knows, right now the stronger 4 core cpu performs better. no one knows what games will be like in 2 years.

especially considering how amd has locked down the console market. good chance games will largely be designed to favour amds 8 core set ups. then again, maybe not.
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 220 à CPUs
November 10, 2013 9:17:02 PM

The I5 will clock easier and consume less power. But the FX has better overclocking potential if you want to monster cool it.

Right now the I5 is A LITTLE better in the majority of games> powercolor is fine as long as you do not go for reference design, as said above, the 280X is the same as the HD7970 anyway.
Share
November 10, 2013 9:18:39 PM

neon neophyte said:
no one knows, right now the stronger 4 core cpu performs better. no one knows what games will be like in 2 years.

especially considering how amd has locked down the console market. good chance games will largely be designed to favour amds 8 core set ups. then again, maybe not.

Ok, so should I buy the vapour-X R9 280X or the Powercolour HD 7970, because I've heard people having a lot more problems with PowerColour than Sapphire?
m
0
l
November 10, 2013 9:23:41 PM

Novuake said:
The I5 will clock easier and consume less power. But the FX has better overclocking potential if you want to monster cool it.

Right now the I5 is A LITTLE better in the majority of games> powercolor is fine as long as you do not go for reference design, as said above, the 280X is the same as the HD7970 anyway.

Is the card I linked reference? I don't think it is but I'm a newbie when it Comes to computers :) 

m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 10, 2013 9:28:04 PM

The amd 8350 and get a radeon 7950 and oc it to 7970 specs you be good to go .
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 10, 2013 9:30:58 PM

sapphire is surely the more reliable brand. the vapour-x coolers are nice. the 280x, as stated previously, is the same as the 7970, albeit, with slightly lower clocks. you can turn the clockspeed up on it easy enough though.
m
0
l
a c 220 à CPUs
November 10, 2013 9:31:58 PM

Bryce1197 said:
Novuake said:
The I5 will clock easier and consume less power. But the FX has better overclocking potential if you want to monster cool it.

Right now the I5 is A LITTLE better in the majority of games> powercolor is fine as long as you do not go for reference design, as said above, the 280X is the same as the HD7970 anyway.

Is the card I linked reference? I don't think it is but I'm a newbie when it Comes to computers :) 



Nope, its not reference. :)  That is why you asked.

Dual fans are VERY rarely reference design.
m
0
l
November 10, 2013 9:33:46 PM

Novuake said:
Bryce1197 said:
Novuake said:
The I5 will clock easier and consume less power. But the FX has better overclocking potential if you want to monster cool it.

Right now the I5 is A LITTLE better in the majority of games> powercolor is fine as long as you do not go for reference design, as said above, the 280X is the same as the HD7970 anyway.

Is the card I linked reference? I don't think it is but I'm a newbie when it Comes to computers :) 



Nope, its not reference. :)  That is why you asked.

Dual fans are VERY rarely reference design.

Would I GTX 770 do me any better?
Like this one: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...
m
0
l
a c 81 à CPUs
November 10, 2013 9:38:11 PM

http://www.bf4blog.com/battlefield-4-retail-gpu-cpu-ben...

scroll down to the cpu chart . The AMD has a small performance lead in these new game engines . In older games that cant multithread well the intel is the better buy

http://www.techspot.com/review/734-battlefield-4-benchm...
Here the results are very similar with the intel winning by 1 fps

IMO buy the AMD and the 7970 . Same performance , less cost


EDIT : depending on cost of graphics card you might be better off with an FX 6300 , overclocked to 4+ GHz and a better graphics card based on that second link
m
0
l
November 10, 2013 9:44:13 PM

Outlander_04 said:
http://www.bf4blog.com/battlefield-4-retail-gpu-cpu-ben...

scroll down to the cpu chart . The AMD has a small performance lead in these new game engines . In older games that cant multithread well the intel is the better buy

http://www.techspot.com/review/734-battlefield-4-benchm...
Here the results are very similar with the intel winning by 1 fps

IMO buy the AMD and the 7970 . Same performance , less cost

Ok, thank you all of you guys just saved me $100.
Going with a FX-8350 and a PowerColour HD 7970.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 10, 2013 9:45:41 PM

Ya I have the 7950 Love it enjoy your build.
m
0
l
a c 220 à CPUs
November 10, 2013 9:52:43 PM

johnnyb105 said:
You should check out this guys rant how good the 8350 is compared to other cpus..

https://teksyndicate.com/


Yeah, he is not the brightest. His whole demeanor SCREAMS fanboy.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 10, 2013 9:55:22 PM

johnnyb105 said:
You should check out this guys rant how good the 8350 is compared to other cpus..

https://teksyndicate.com/


I clicked on one thread of his and within 30 seconds of reading found errors. Not impressed.
m
0
l
a c 220 à CPUs
November 10, 2013 9:58:38 PM

neon neophyte said:
johnnyb105 said:
You should check out this guys rant how good the 8350 is compared to other cpus..

https://teksyndicate.com/


I clicked on one thread of his and within 30 seconds of reading found errors. Not impressed.


Tell me about it, so inconsistent. Don't think he has ever heard of scientific method.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 10, 2013 9:59:35 PM

I didnt send you to the actual topix I sent you to the webpage where its located at sorry it didnt impress you.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 10, 2013 10:05:13 PM

not at 379 its not. thats 20 dollars off a 290, which is considerably more powerful
m
0
l
November 10, 2013 10:07:51 PM

neon neophyte said:
not at 379 its not. thats 20 dollars off a 290, which is considerably more powerful

Not in Australia, the cheapest R9 290 is $479.
So which would be better the Gainward GTX 770 vs Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X 3GB or PowerColour HD 7970 OC 3GB?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 10, 2013 11:00:31 PM

280x and gtx 770 are pretty close, i would probably choose the 770
m
0
l
November 10, 2013 11:08:46 PM



neon neophyte said:
280x and gtx 770 are pretty close, i would probably choose the 770

I've decided to go with a Gigabyte R9 280X OC 3GB, because I trust gigabyte and Mantle is coming out next month that will hopefully add further performance.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 10, 2013 11:15:12 PM

either way is good really.

mantle might be huge
m
0
l
!