Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Need build help yet again. FX8350

Last response: in Systems
Share
November 10, 2013 9:30:13 PM

I came and signed up to get build advice earlier for an 800$ budget.
Now I am faced with a 600$ budget due to us needing a new car for my family and the baby.
This kinda saddens me due to this cutting my 299.99 radeon hd 7970 3gbDDR5 :( 


So here are my plans and wishes and am asking you all for advice and knowledge.

CPU
I am really set on the FX8350, and yes this did star out as an ignorant "this processor is better than i5's and i7's" and later turned into intel as the "king of the hill". As I read and consumed more and more info I , IMO, saw a glimmer of hope for the eight core underdog and after careful study of i5's i7's and the FX series I have concluded that even a untrue 8core was my pick.

GPU
This will sadly, most likely, be excluded in my build currently. As I have no funds to buy the GPU's I seek.

PSU
Shoot a great low priced one at me that can later support a 7970 3gb GDDR5 and I'm good.

Case
Would really like one cheap, but also like it to be nice.
Comments: Would later need to boast room for a corsair hydro 110. This will be needed for the 5ghz oc later to close some gap.

Ram
Again cheap 1600 tight timings and a spreader if possible. Also would really like to go 1stick 8gb first for a later 32gb maxed system. This will be for rendering/art/game programming/video converting. Basically don't want 2x4 setups since I will need 8gb sticks later anyway and don't want to waste money later.

MOBO
Really need suggestions, and some major lessons if possible or a link to a dummy's guide to mobo's I get the just but still missing what to look for. I chose a 230$ mobo one time and later was suggested a 130$ that performed better and couldn't tell why.
Want good GPU support maybe sli crossfire// 32gb max ram// and 3.0 usb is a must I am so over 2.0

Heatsink
Hyper evo starting cheap and easy to keep the FX stable and maybe a mild oc.
Will later go with corsair's hydro 110 series for a nice looped cooler and 5.0gzh stable.

HDD
I will use what I have to save $$ exclude this piece.

Optical Drive
I will use what I have to save $$ exclude this piece.


So you have my wishes and I am sure you will make good on your advice, final requests :

Might take a while for a case I like, dust filters would be nice, needs the space for the Hydro cooler later.

Some well taught knowledge on MOBO's would be nice or a guide for me to read :D .

Would really like if I could get the hydro 110 on my budget instead of the hyper evo to save $ later. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Would like the budget to be met EXCLUDING <-- mail in rebates and discounts if possible, if you can't that's fine I don't want people wasting too much time.



So in advance sorry for the TLDR page, and thanks to those who take their time to help on the forums. You have no idea how much I appreciate your time spent and advice.

More about : build fx8350

November 10, 2013 9:41:41 PM

you won't be do anything really with that processor alone with no gpu gaming wise. thats why amd has the trinity apu. get the 6350 and a beefy gpu would be your best bet
m
0
l
November 10, 2013 9:42:46 PM

i just built this for somebody feel free to play with it.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/20xO1

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6350 3.9GHz 6-Core Processor ($134.99 @ TigerDirect)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock 990FX Extreme4 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 60GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($62.68 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.94 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card ($309.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($54.99 @ Microcenter)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($15.00 @ Newegg)
Total: $942.53
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-11 00:42 EST-0500)
m
0
l
Related resources
November 10, 2013 9:47:27 PM

oh shit i didnt even seen the 600$ budget but yea get cheaper gpu drop the ssd and you'll make it maybe a diff mobo
m
0
l
November 10, 2013 9:56:37 PM

PSU: XFX Pro 650W should do fine.

With the CPU taking a chunk of the budget you cant really hope for too much in the cooling department, even the evo is a bit of a stretch.

Mobo: Asus M5A99FX Pro ~145 ( unless there are rebates and sales and such )
Is probably your best bet for a solid overclocking mobo with the support for crossfire / sli

RAM: well 1 8GB stick will run just a little slower at first but i guess that will be acceptable

Case: Being able to run the H110 does prove to be somewhat challenging. However Corsair 500R would work for you and there is a sale and rebate on it currently, which would bring it to your price range.
Corsair 500R so might want to consider this as your case, could get it for 89.99 with the promo code and then a 20 MIR in addition to that.

GPU: look at the tom's bang for buck GPU's and get the cheapest one. They usually are in the $50 range, or buy a cheap one used somewhere. You just need something for the time being.

Hope those suggestions help. At least check out the Corsair 500R quickly it would fit your cooler and comes at the moment at a great price.


m
0
l
November 11, 2013 7:51:02 PM

rvilkman said:
PSU: XFX Pro 650W should do fine.

With the CPU taking a chunk of the budget you cant really hope for too much in the cooling department, even the evo is a bit of a stretch.

Mobo: Asus M5A99FX Pro ~145 ( unless there are rebates and sales and such )
Is probably your best bet for a solid overclocking mobo with the support for crossfire / sli

RAM: well 1 8GB stick will run just a little slower at first but i guess that will be acceptable

Case: Being able to run the H110 does prove to be somewhat challenging. However Corsair 500R would work for you and there is a sale and rebate on it currently, which would bring it to your price range.
Corsair 500R so might want to consider this as your case, could get it for 89.99 with the promo code and then a 20 MIR in addition to that.

GPU: look at the tom's bang for buck GPU's and get the cheapest one. They usually are in the $50 range, or buy a cheap one used somewhere. You just need something for the time being.

Hope those suggestions help. At least check out the Corsair 500R quickly it would fit your cooler and comes at the moment at a great price.




Ok to make it a little clearer ..

My cpu choice is solid.. not trying to be rude or anything. I will be using this for more than just gaming and for the 160(sale) - 200$ price tag.. it will be a nice 8core powerhouse for rendering. In multithreaded apps ( lol at spell check telling me to use multicolored) it should run better than the i7 even.

The GPU is not needed right now and I do want a SOLID gpu later, but that will be on a diff budget. most likely will be 300$+

I mostly need help on these. (while keeping the fx8350)
CPU
MOBO (Need tons of info on mobo's and advice.)
RAM (mostly need info on what to look for and this will be a 8gb stick for now and upgrade later to 4x8gb for rendering/etc.)
HEATSINK
CASE ( the one suggested will be fine seems solid and proper.)
PSU

Thanks to the poster you have suggested some nice things for me to review.

Keep the advice coming this build will be bought this Feb during taxes. (will edit later to start filling in the gaps on my build.)

Busy atm and will edit later.
m
0
l
November 11, 2013 8:23:26 PM

I'm just going to say this. Their's a reason AMD has a APU, and leave it at that.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 EXTREME4 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($99.49 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($44.99 @ Microcenter)
Total: $526.42
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-11 23:31 EST-0500)

(adjusted the ram to 1x8gb stick)
enjoy. all quality parts. ram is low profile so it fits under the hyper 212 evo even with 2 fans attached in a push pull set up.
of course you can play around with it but thats basically what you want.
m
0
l
November 11, 2013 8:40:25 PM

emj503 said:
I'm just going to say this. Their's a reason AMD has a APU, and leave it at that.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 EXTREME4 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($99.49 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($44.99 @ Microcenter)
Total: $526.42
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-11 23:31 EST-0500)

(adjusted the ram to 1x8gb stick)
enjoy. all quality parts. ram is low profile so it fits under the hyper 212 evo even with 2 fans attached in a push pull set up.
of course you can play around with it but thats basically what you want.


As much as I love ASROCK, I do not like how their motherboards perform for Intel's they are terrible for AMD. If you can find a AM3+ Gigabyte UD3 (REV 4.0 make sure its 4 and not 3) or a UD5 (REV 3.0) that would be even better and make a 5Ghz O.C possible. I would also keep an eye out for a bit larger PSU if he will be O.C and using 32Gb of RAM (Which honestly there is no use in the world for). Ill make a build and post it on here ASAP.
m
0
l
November 11, 2013 8:57:13 PM

Audiohill said:
emj503 said:
I'm just going to say this. Their's a reason AMD has a APU, and leave it at that.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 EXTREME4 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($99.49 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($44.99 @ Microcenter)
Total: $526.42
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-11 23:31 EST-0500)

(adjusted the ram to 1x8gb stick)
enjoy. all quality parts. ram is low profile so it fits under the hyper 212 evo even with 2 fans attached in a push pull set up.
of course you can play around with it but thats basically what you want.


As much as I love ASROCK, I do not like how their motherboards perform for Intel's they are terrible for AMD. If you can find a AM3+ Gigabyte UD3 (REV 4.0 make sure its 4 and not 3) or a UD5 (REV 3.0) that would be even better and make a 5Ghz O.C possible. I would also keep an eye out for a bit larger PSU if he will be O.C and using 32Gb of RAM (Which honestly there is no use in the world for). Ill make a build and post it on here ASAP.


Just going to say my http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/FM2A85X%20Extreme4-M/
micro ATX board is more then capable of a 5ghz overclock on my a10-68k. even a overclock on the gpu portion of the processor.

I also 100% agree on the ram. but the man wants what he wants. I looked at the ASUS boards as well and the asrock one was the best for the price point.
m
0
l
November 11, 2013 8:58:38 PM

Audiohill said:
emj503 said:
I'm just going to say this. Their's a reason AMD has a APU, and leave it at that.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 EXTREME4 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($99.49 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($44.99 @ Microcenter)
Total: $526.42
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-11 23:31 EST-0500)

(adjusted the ram to 1x8gb stick)
enjoy. all quality parts. ram is low profile so it fits under the hyper 212 evo even with 2 fans attached in a push pull set up.
of course you can play around with it but thats basically what you want.


As much as I love ASROCK, I do not like how their motherboards perform for Intel's they are terrible for AMD. If you can find a AM3+ Gigabyte UD3 (REV 4.0 make sure its 4 and not 3) or a UD5 (REV 3.0) that would be even better and make a 5Ghz O.C possible. I would also keep an eye out for a bit larger PSU if he will be O.C and using 32Gb of RAM (Which honestly there is no use in the world for). Ill make a build and post it on here ASAP.


Sorry been trying to reply .. this computer is dying and has so many problems.

I was just going to say on the quoted build.

Drop the storage, I will be using my old crap until I upgrade.

This will make room for more headway on a better MOBO or more ram.

Also the 32gb will be needed trust me I am learning several things like C++, game design, graphic design, video encoding, rendering, etc. (most likely will be upgraded to 2x8 and very much later 32 when I can really utilize it unlike now when I don't know what I am doing.)

Currently reading c++ primer 4th I believe and this computer even makes those easy examples challenging with freezing/bsod/etc.

Will look forward to your info on the mobo's. THANKS! :D 

Quick Edit:
I will also be reading to educate myself before my next posts, feel free to educate me on MOBO's if you choose I love to learn and am not biased on brands.
m
0
l
November 11, 2013 9:03:56 PM

I don't think you or audiohill could argue with that

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($197.97 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($148.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($54.99 @ Microcenter)
Total: $541.90
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-12 00:03 EST-0500)
m
0
l
November 11, 2013 9:06:51 PM

It took me awhile but I got a solid config. It is $12.91 over excluding rebates and promos but there is tons of time for sales till February. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2146n

Don't buy a very cheap motherboard if you plan to O.C nor buy one just because you need one. The motherboard plays a key role and if you choose the correct one it will take care of your components. The UD3 I have listed has 6 SATA 3.0 6Gb/s so this means you can have up to 6 HDD's or Optical drives. The socket is AM3+ so it supports the 8350 and its massive 8-Cores, but however you stated that it would beat i7's at multithreaded applications which is very untrue. This is because Intel has hyper threading technology and they are known for better utilization of their cores (Just so you don't get a big surprise). The motherboard has everything you can ever need including a ton of USB by the I/O shield, all the red colored inputs in this motherboard means you have 3.0X the speed that a regular USB 2.0 has and they stay on while your computer is off for a charging station. The board has a UEFI BIOS which means it supports mouse movement and has pictures and whatnot that a legacy bios does not. This board supports up to a triple SLI or CrossfireX, you should also take a look at Nvidia since the dropped all of their GPU prices to match the new R9 series.
m
0
l
November 11, 2013 9:11:09 PM

and yes the corsair 200r supports long graphics cards and water coolers such as the h100i, also that psu on his build is probably more reliable then the corsair 600w builder.
m
0
l
November 11, 2013 9:20:30 PM

emj503 said:
and yes the corsair 200r supports long graphics cards and water coolers such as the h100i, also that psu on his build is probably more reliable then the corsair 600w builder.


Yeah, I Like the build you just made I currently own a UD5 and I am in love however yes I would go with my PSU because last thing you want is your PSU to destroy your build. I also heard the Ripjaw X were more towards Intel so he could also go with the Sniper series which is just as good and geared towards AMD. Now about the 32GB's of RAM, I am not holding you back but I am just warning you. I have used Adobe Air and Premier and rendered too many videos for production class not to mention the amount of coding I do a day and I have never used past 6GB. I do see where you are going with the whole 8GB x 4 thing but a feature you are missing out on is dual channel memory which is basically has more efficiency for your RAM.
m
0
l
November 11, 2013 9:45:53 PM

Audiohill said:
emj503 said:
and yes the corsair 200r supports long graphics cards and water coolers such as the h100i, also that psu on his build is probably more reliable then the corsair 600w builder.


Yeah, I Like the build you just made I currently own a UD5 and I am in love however yes I would go with my PSU because last thing you want is your PSU to destroy your build. I also heard the Ripjaw X were more towards Intel so he could also go with the Sniper series which is just as good and geared towards AMD. Now about the 32GB's of RAM, I am not holding you back but I am just warning you. I have used Adobe Air and Premier and rendered too many videos for production class not to mention the amount of coding I do a day and I have never used past 6GB. I do see where you are going with the whole 8GB x 4 thing but a feature you are missing out on is dual channel memory which is basically has more efficiency for your RAM.


Oh really? thanks for the info. I actually run snipers personally I only suggested the ripjaws because they're lower profile and can fit under the hyper 212 easier.
m
0
l

Best solution

November 11, 2013 10:10:45 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($197.97 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($148.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 650W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($93.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $590.89
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-12 01:10 EST-0500)
Share
November 12, 2013 9:00:08 PM

Thanks for all the great reply's so far. Firefox crashed on me and I just got this site re-bookmarked after reinstalling about eight times with some weird error in FF to boot.

Will read on MOBO's and review your suggestions then repost later.

Until then, unless you wish to inform me on MOBO's. This post can be ignored and I will later mark as solved based on the amount of time and help the poster I choose gave me.

Also on the i7 is better comment on HTT .... could be yes I was naive a bit to just assume it was better. I only thought it would be since yes it is slower calcs but more cores (although 4 are virtual).

Just a bad assumption :D  So I do stand corrected.

EDIT: Just fixed a major problem related to a virus or malware. So be patient for my response... dealing with tons of problems related to ppl using my computer.

SIGHHHHHHH.
m
0
l
November 14, 2013 11:48:42 PM

Am reading on mobo's and read this was good...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Now this is a UD3 I believe and you suggested the UD5

What is the difference... and why if the UD5 is newer and better is it more ugly? lol

also read::
I owned a UD5 and it was bloody terrible. I'm not sure if they have fixed the issue, but the vdrop was HUGE with no option to adjust LLC. Very annoying for overclocking when you set 1.55 in bios and get like 1.48v under load.

Ive also been reading alot of good comments toward the Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z... and I do believe it is about 220-240 ish but why is that so good also?


THIS TRUE!?---
Stretch for a Sabortooth 990X board. Those board are by far the best overclocking boards for the FX series and with some Samsung 30nm RAM which you can get 8GB for around £50 and you can overclock it to 2400MHz with some tweaking. Slap a decent cooler on that 8350 and you should be good to get to 4.5GHz easily or even 4.8-5.0GHz on a H100i or custom loop.


I guess my real problem is knowing how chipsets upgrade and what were up to now haha. The CHV-Z series sounds very promising... and wondering if I should go that route ... I was recommended different mobo's everytime I suggested getting one tho ... So that leads me to think maybe it's not the best option?

I just need a lil more feedback to mark this solved for the mobo's area. Everything else seems locked in.
m
0
l
November 15, 2013 10:18:17 AM

Bump.


Read my last post for what I need help on.

Also why does everyone use HDD/SSD setups together... does the SSD hold the OS for quicker boot, or is it for something like loading games/programs faster?

Thanks in advance this post is almost closed.\\

might mark as closed and create a new post on the mobo questions.
m
0
l
November 15, 2013 3:13:07 PM

I would suggest you look for a used GPU. I've even seen a 4870 on ebay for as low as $10. That should tide you over until you purchase a better card.
m
0
l
November 15, 2013 7:17:03 PM

Ok last notes. Seem this is now dead in the water so closing and opening a new topic for MOBO discussion.


The 32gb of ram I first thought I needed has changed based on responses from ppl who code/photoshop/premiere/etc.

I will now use dual channel 1600 8x2 or higher if possible for cheap like 1866 ish.

Thanks for everyones help and I am marking emj503 for the solution because of his time spent helping me several posts after this was complete.

Thanks for everyone who had comments and help tho!!!!
m
0
l
November 16, 2013 11:31:32 AM

memphis_212 said:
Am reading on mobo's and read this was good...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Now this is a UD3 I believe and you suggested the UD5

What is the difference... and why if the UD5 is newer and better is it more ugly? lol

also read::
I owned a UD5 and it was bloody terrible. I'm not sure if they have fixed the issue, but the vdrop was HUGE with no option to adjust LLC. Very annoying for overclocking when you set 1.55 in bios and get like 1.48v under load.

Ive also been reading alot of good comments toward the Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z... and I do believe it is about 220-240 ish but why is that so good also?


THIS TRUE!?---
Stretch for a Sabortooth 990X board. Those board are by far the best overclocking boards for the FX series and with some Samsung 30nm RAM which you can get 8GB for around £50 and you can overclock it to 2400MHz with some tweaking. Slap a decent cooler on that 8350 and you should be good to get to 4.5GHz easily or even 4.8-5.0GHz on a H100i or custom loop.


I guess my real problem is knowing how chipsets upgrade and what were up to now haha. The CHV-Z series sounds very promising... and wondering if I should go that route ... I was recommended different mobo's everytime I suggested getting one tho ... So that leads me to think maybe it's not the best option?

I just need a lil more feedback to mark this solved for the mobo's area. Everything else seems locked in.


The UD5 has larger heat spreaders compared to the UD3 but honestly it wont change too much. UD3 is mostly black while the UD5 has a few blue stripes here and there. UD5 has TRI X-fire or SLI but one less PCI-E x1 while the UD3 has Dual X-Fire and SLI. I own the UD5 and it is just personal choice as to what you want and need.

The guy talking about how bad the UD5 is probably just has a crappy revision or a defective board. The Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z is a great board but defiantly not worth it in this situation however it is arguably the best AM3+ board but it is not needed at all, so I would say not to get it. With the Sabertooth board you are talking about it is good, but you are not getting your moneys worth out of it.

I have never in my life heard of a CHV-Z chipset, like never and I am around people who constantly talk about new technologies. So I highly do not recommend that chipset.

You will be completely fine with a UD3, of course you get problems with these motherboards which is why the company makes new revisions of the board to fix the mistakes. The UD3 is probably the best boards IMO. You will be perfectly fine with a UD3.
m
0
l
November 16, 2013 11:33:54 AM

memphis_212 said:
Bump.


Read my last post for what I need help on.

Also why does everyone use HDD/SSD setups together... does the SSD hold the OS for quicker boot, or is it for something like loading games/programs faster?

Thanks in advance this post is almost closed.\\

might mark as closed and create a new post on the mobo questions.


The SSD does boot the OS alot faster compared to a mechanical drive however they do come with a higher cost. I would put a OS and most used programs on one so they boot faster.
m
0
l
November 16, 2013 11:36:30 AM

memphis_212 said:
Ok last notes. Seem this is now dead in the water so closing and opening a new topic for MOBO discussion.


The 32gb of ram I first thought I needed has changed based on responses from ppl who code/photoshop/premiere/etc.

I will now use dual channel 1600 8x2 or higher if possible for cheap like 1866 ish.

Thanks for everyones help and I am marking emj503 for the solution because of his time spent helping me several posts after this was complete.

Thanks for everyone who had comments and help tho!!!!


2 x 8GB sticks of 1600Mhz RAM will run perfect. Don't bother with 1866 it just isn't worth it. GSkill Sniper series RAM 2x 8GB DDR3-1600 will be the best choice.
m
0
l
November 16, 2013 11:36:31 AM

memphis_212 said:
Ok last notes. Seem this is now dead in the water so closing and opening a new topic for MOBO discussion.


The 32gb of ram I first thought I needed has changed based on responses from ppl who code/photoshop/premiere/etc.

I will now use dual channel 1600 8x2 or higher if possible for cheap like 1866 ish.

Thanks for everyones help and I am marking emj503 for the solution because of his time spent helping me several posts after this was complete.

Thanks for everyone who had comments and help tho!!!!


2 x 8GB sticks of 1600Mhz RAM will run perfect. Don't bother with 1866 it just isn't worth it. GSkill Sniper series RAM 2x 8GB DDR3-1600 will be the best choice.
m
0
l
!