What do you think of my FX 8320 Temps?

Stix zadinia

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to read this, any-whom I'll spare you some time by getting right to it.

Prime 95 test, In-place large FFTs test, initiated at 11:20 - 64 C
11:30 - 70-71C
11:40 - 69 C

Ambient temperature 20 degrees Celsius. My idle was at 25 degrees Celsius

All cores were running at 3.5Ghz ( I personally don't care about the turbo boost speeds, I game and find them to be negligible in the grand scheme of things, I do no form of rendering or editing.

CPU used: AMD FX 8320 3.5Ghz Eightcore
Thermal paste used: Deepcool Z9
Heatsink used: Deepcool Gammaxx 300 @ 1700RPM 120mm Cooling Fan
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P

There are also no fans inside my case, aside from a 120mm sickle flow down by my HDDs and of-course the CPU fan itself.

Though this is likely irrelevant, during games such as Guild Wars 2 and Battlefield 3 I reach around 65 Degrees Celsius, other less intense games such as Guild Wars 1, War Thunder, World of Tanks I sit around 55 Degrees (These temps are with my CPU at 3.7Ghz, also if it's of any use I have a Gigabyte HD 7850 2Gb OC edition that sits around 55 Degrees under BF3 maxed out.

So I know I seem rushed, and rude, but in all honesty what do you think of my temps, I hear a lot of smack about the 63 Degree threshold that Eightcore Vishera chips have and it disturbs me slightly, seeing as I go above that in some games and especially under a full load hitting 70 degrees within margin of error. However the other day I hit 78C playing BF3, though my room was closed with no fresh air, because well I'm a bit of a Numpty it seems.

Again thanks for your time and input, I don't mean to be so rushed or rude, I just don't want to waste you, the reader's time. Ciao ciao :)

Solution
Initial temps are nice, which looks like your cpu cooling is good, but as they get hotter over time your case is clearly not exhausting the heat very well.

I would invest in an exhaust fan. It wont cost much ($20 max) and should stop your in case temperatures from rising so much over time.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
Initial temps are nice, which looks like your cpu cooling is good, but as they get hotter over time your case is clearly not exhausting the heat very well.

I would invest in an exhaust fan. It wont cost much ($20 max) and should stop your in case temperatures from rising so much over time.

Solution

Jeffenator

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
Well not to forget.
The 8-core 32nm 125TDP is a heat-head anyway.

You could always try to get a static pressure in your case. (more intake than out-take)

As far as I know the 'optimal' range is a max of 75-80. If it goes 85+ you know something is wrong.

The 8-core really loves a high-end cooler as far as I know.

Stix zadinia

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
Yeah, you both seem to suggest that it's more of removing the heat from the area around the CPU that'd benefit the CPU in its current state, so I guess the question now is, which fans should I get?, I'm also a bit of a silence freak, a-lot of people suggest Noctuas of almost any description or Corsair SP/AF series. Any suggestions?

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

The Noctuas with the low speed adapters are really nice, but expensive.

I can also recommend the Fractal design silent fans.

If silence is important, its better to get more fans and run them at slower RPM, than less fans at higher RPM.

Jeffenator

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
I got 12 noctua's in my case (Yes I know overkill..) But its hella-silence ^^

You can even use the ULNA (ultra-low-noise-adapters)

You could always get some 'splitters' to connect the fans to the mobo so you can control em in bios!

Stix zadinia

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
Awesome I just played around in the BIOS and set my front 120 to silent mode, and it's really silent I like it, I'm sure these Noctuas will be even better thanks guys. I'll be sure to let you know, though it wont be for a couple days atleast ^^

Jeffenator

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011

Awesome! :D