Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Gaming build for 1600x900 res on CX500 needed (India)

Last response: in Components
Share
November 11, 2013 3:29:27 AM

This is my first time posting in a forum and I do not really grasp the protocol for this. So here goes:
I live in Mumbai, India and the temperatures here may sometimes go as high as 39C.
As the title may suggest, I am looking for a gaming build for a 1600x900 resolution that can be built on a Corsair CX500 bronze edition PSU.

Currently I am considering the following build:
Processor: FX 8320,
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 Evo,
RAM: Kingston Hyper X 2x4GB 1600MHz,
GPU: Sapphire R9 270X OC,
Case: Not sure, but leaning towards the Antec X1.
SSD: Kingston 120GB SSD

I would like my budget to be within Rs. 50,000 but am flexible with it. Overclocking is a possibility, but in the future.

Parts I already own: Monitor, PSU, keyboard, mouse, gamepad, headset, 2x500GB Seagate Barracuda HDD (5400rpm about 4 years old) and spike-guard. I have looked on other threads, but I cannot seem to decide on an ideal motherboard for the setup that I can also retain for later upgrades (I want the system to work for at least 4 years with overclocking and stuff). Also, I do not have any knowledge of picking out motherboards and PC case.

I would like my build to play next gen games (Crysis 3, Battlefield 4, Metro: Last Light etc. would do) at ultra settings with or without AA.

I really appreciate the help!

Edit:
I forgot to add, $1=Rs.63. So that makes my budget < $800.
Also, I found a current online sale on the R9 270X card going for about Rs. 16000. Should I get it? Its a Sapphire Dual-X R9 270X 2GB OC.
Thanks for all your help!
November 12, 2013 3:28:10 AM

Just ran into the format (guess thats why I didn't get any replies, hehe)

Approximate Purchase Date: By New Year.

Budget Range: Rs. 50000 ($1=Rs. 63 so about $800)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, HD Movies, Web surfing, Animation, Modelling and a bit of rendering (just started learning game development. so its not primary right now)

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: CPU, Motherboard, GPU, RAM, Case, SSD (All poised to run on a CX500 Bronze edition I bought 2 months ago)

Parts I already have: HDD(2 x 500GB at 5400 rpm), PSU, Keyboard, mouse and headset

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: PrimeABGB, The IT Depot

Location: Mumbai, India

Parts Preferences: No real preference, but would like an AMD R9 GPU

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe, but mostly no.

Your Monitor Resolution: 1600 x 900

Additional Comments: Would really like a window on the cabinet, but its not really a must. Since it gets hot in Mumbai, I think a really value for money cool cabinet is primary. I will fit in fans when I get more money.

Why Are You Upgrading: My current system is too outdated to play games like Tomb Raider and such on ultra settings (i5 650, Sapphire 5770, 4GB 1333Mhz RAM all stock clocked).
m
0
l
November 12, 2013 4:31:07 AM

Here's an $800 build not including the PSU.

CPU: i5 3570k $219

CPU cooler: Hyper 212 EVO $36

Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G41 ATX LGA1155 $90

RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) $70

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB $69

GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 760 2GB. Was going to go with R9 280x but uses to many watts for ur 500 watt PSU $249

CASE: Cooler Master HAF 912 $49
m
0
l
Related resources
November 12, 2013 6:29:16 AM

AK139 said:
Here's an $800 build not including the PSU.

CPU: i5 3570k $219

CPU cooler: Hyper 212 EVO $36

Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G41 ATX LGA1155 $90

RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) $70

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB $69

GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 760 2GB. Was going to go with R9 280x but uses to many watts for ur 500 watt PSU $249

CASE: Cooler Master HAF 912 $49


Thanks a lot for replying AK139! Only, the prices here are a little different.

I couldn't find the motherboard and RAM in any of the sites I refer; but to give you an idea:
i5 3570k i.e. $257
and the GPUs are quite outrageously priced; Galaxy GTX 760, the cheapest I can find is $298.59.

Which barely leaves any more money to be spent.

Thanks again for the reply! Appreciate it
m
0
l
November 12, 2013 7:52:28 PM



Thanks a lot chimera201! I usually try to get parts from local shops, because they are willing to shift prices. Will get down to gathering the parts and probably have a PC ready by the end of the month!

m
0
l
November 13, 2013 6:28:41 PM

I was wondering if there were a way to get a better processor at that price. I feel the i3 is too underpowered for the coming games that may or may not be CPU intensive. Is it qorth considering the AMD 6300 instead? I cn go fr a good 990fx mobo with it and upgrade if an oc falls short of required performance later. This things been eating at me for a while now

m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
November 13, 2013 10:37:40 PM

gauravnba said:
I was wondering if there were a way to get a better processor at that price. I feel the i3 is too underpowered for the coming games that may or may not be CPU intensive. Is it qorth considering the AMD 6300 instead? I cn go fr a good 990fx mobo with it and upgrade if an oc falls short of required performance later. This things been eating at me for a while now


The FX 6300 is significantly better at raw performance than i3's but not in gaming.
The next suggested cpu u can get is an i5K with a higher motherboard but that will certainly go out of budget. Also the FX 6300 with a 990fx motherboard will go out of budget

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o...
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-4-graph...
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-4-graph...

"The good news is that a fairly inexpensive Core i3 or FX-4000-series CPU could be fast enough to handle the High preset without capping graphics performance. If you want to play at the Ultra preset, grab a Core i5 or FX-6000-class processor at the very least."

The point is u won't be playing at Ultra with the GTX 660 GPU

"If you really want to step up to Battlefield 4 at its High detail preset, the GeForce GTX 650 Ti or Radeon HD 7850 should be sufficient for 1680x1050. More enthusiasts have 1080p displays though, and we're recommending a $200 Radeon HD 7870 or $180 GeForce GTX 660.The demanding Ultra preset compels you go go with a Radeon HD 7970/R9 280X or GeForce GTX 670/760 at 1920x1080."
m
0
l
November 14, 2013 1:11:31 AM

CPU: i5 3570k 16000 rs

MOBO: MSI B75MA-P45 4700 rs

Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO 2800 rs

GPU: MSI NVIDIA N760 TF 21500 rs

RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) PC RAM It is 1 stick and not 2 but its cheap 5200 rs

Case: Haf 912 5300 rs

HDD: you already have 2

Total: 55000 rupees If you want to save 5000 rs go with an fx 8350 but it may come close with ur PSU wattage.
m
0
l
November 14, 2013 2:29:02 AM

chimera201 said:
gauravnba said:
I was wondering if there were a way to get a better processor at that price. I feel the i3 is too underpowered for the coming games that may or may not be CPU intensive. Is it qorth considering the AMD 6300 instead? I cn go fr a good 990fx mobo with it and upgrade if an oc falls short of required performance later. This things been eating at me for a while now


The FX 6300 is significantly better at raw performance than i3's but not in gaming.
The next suggested cpu u can get is an i5K with a higher motherboard but that will certainly go out of budget. Also the FX 6300 with a 990fx motherboard will go out of budget

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o...
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-4-graph...
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-4-graph...

"The good news is that a fairly inexpensive Core i3 or FX-4000-series CPU could be fast enough to handle the High preset without capping graphics performance. If you want to play at the Ultra preset, grab a Core i5 or FX-6000-class processor at the very least."

The point is u won't be playing at Ultra with the GTX 660 GPU

"If you really want to step up to Battlefield 4 at its High detail preset, the GeForce GTX 650 Ti or Radeon HD 7850 should be sufficient for 1680x1050. More enthusiasts have 1080p displays though, and we're recommending a $200 Radeon HD 7870 or $180 GeForce GTX 660.The demanding Ultra preset compels you go go with a Radeon HD 7970/R9 280X or GeForce GTX 670/760 at 1920x1080."


My current CPU (i5 650 coupled with an Intel H55 mobo), I think, is better than the i3.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/144?vs=677
Do I retain it for now and upgrade it later to a newer i5, when prices go further down?
I can just get new RAM, case and SSD now and get a GPU+CPU+mobo later or something like that?

AK139 said:
CPU: i5 3570k 16000 rs

MOBO: MSI B75MA-P45 4700 rs

Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO 2800 rs

GPU: MSI NVIDIA N760 TF 21500 rs

RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) PC RAM It is 1 stick and not 2 but its cheap 5200 rs

Case: Haf 912 5300 rs

HDD: you already have 2

Total: 55000 rupees If you want to save 5000 rs go with an fx 8350 but it may come close with ur PSU wattage.

My current HDD are 5400 rpm. Are those fine or should I upgrade to an SSD with that system (which will stretch the budget beyond my capacity)? also, I found a Corsair XMS 2x4 GB kit for 4905. Is it not good?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
November 14, 2013 4:27:30 AM

Core i3 3220 is definitely better than i5 650.
Did u check the 'Lower is better', 'Higher is better' in that anandtech benchmarks?
TBH though going from i5 650 to i3 3220 is not a worthy upgrade, but to a recent i5 is

Buying an SSD is entirely personal. SSD is not a necessity. If u are frequently using files on the SSD whether it be gaming or rendering or Windows then it's worthwhile.

About RAMs. People overlook RAM timings. U have to look for CAS latency. The lower the numbers the better. A DDR3 1333MHz module with lower CAS latency might perform better than a DDR3 1600MHz module with higher timings

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) PC RAM (CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10)
Corsair XMS3 DDR3 4 GB Desktop RAM (CMX4GX3M1A1333C9)
Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 4 GB PC RAM (KHX1600C9D3B1/4G)
m
0
l
November 14, 2013 5:36:15 AM

chimera201 said:
Core i3 3220 is definitely better than i5 650.
Did u check the 'Lower is better', 'Higher is better' in that anandtech benchmarks?
TBH though going from i5 650 to i3 3220 is not a worthy upgrade, but to a recent i5 is

Buying an SSD is entirely personal. SSD is not a necessity. If u are frequently using files on the SSD whether it be gaming or rendering or Windows then it's worthwhile.

About RAMs. People overlook RAM timings. U have to look for CAS latency. The lower the numbers the better. A DDR3 1333MHz module with lower CAS latency might perform better than a DDR3 1600MHz module with higher timings

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) PC RAM (CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10)
Corsair XMS3 DDR3 4 GB Desktop RAM (CMX4GX3M1A1333C9)
Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 4 GB PC RAM (KHX1600C9D3B1/4G)


I see I must have overlooked the fine text in the benches in Anandtech. Either way as you pointed out, Not really much of an upgrade.

Should I get RAM, SSD and Case for now? Will upgrade main componemts after gathering more funds in 2014 or so, when prices might equalize.

Also, If I only buy a GPU, lets say R9 280X, will my i5 650 bottleneck it?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
November 14, 2013 6:37:05 AM

U can get RAM,SSD,Case for now

Even the i3 3220 will bottleneck the r9 280x
m
0
l
December 27, 2013 9:34:09 PM

I got the Case, RAM and SSD a while ago.

Case: NZXT Phantom 410,
RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue CL9 2x4GB,
SSD: Plextor M5S 128GB (Thanks for that suggestion chimera201. For the RAM too at that.)

In case anyone following this thread would like to know my final build, I started a new thread for CPU after revising my budget a little. The thread is here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1942108/4670k-xe...

Going to get components today (CPU, Motherboard and GPU). Will post on the CPU thread with final build and hopefully photos (if everything goes as planned).

Planned components:
CPU: Intel i5 4670k
Motherboard: Asrock Z87 Extreme 3 or Asrock Z87 Fatal1ty Killer (Depending on availability)
GPU: XFX R9 270 or Sapphire Dual X R9 270
m
0
l
!