Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Photographer-Need to upgrade my graphic card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 11, 2013 6:57:44 AM

I have the latest motherboard, latest cpu, but my graphic card is holding me back. What is the top five choices that will work with the latest photoshops software and windows 8.
a c 91 Î Nvidia
a c 254 U Graphics card
a c 104 À AMD
a c 180 V Motherboard
a c 218 à CPUs
November 11, 2013 7:13:08 AM

Some of the top video cards out today include from Nvidia;

GTX 780Ti
GTX 780 Classified (Evga)
GTX 770 Classified (Evga)

The GTX Titan is a very expensive card and may be included if the 6gb of video memory would be a benefit .

From AMD;

r9-290x
r9-290
r9-280x
r9-280

I know it's more then 5 but these are the top video cards on the consumer side that are available today. There are some very expensive Quadro and FirePro cards from the professional side that are available.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
a b U Graphics card
a b À AMD
a b V Motherboard
a c 149 à CPUs
November 11, 2013 7:18:30 AM

From what I hear, you are better with an Nvidia card for photoshop as it uses CUDA very well.

I wouldnt get anything better than a 650 ti for photoshop work, unless you were very serious and had the money to spend.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
November 11, 2013 7:58:00 AM

RobCrezz said:
From what I hear, you are better with an Nvidia card for photoshop as it uses CUDA very well.

I wouldnt get anything better than a 650 ti for photoshop work, unless you were very serious and had the money to spend.


Lol, CUDA and a 650 Ti? That's like when people put "Turbo" stickers on their car when, in fact, they have no turbo.

Also, Photoshop is OpenCL accelerated with the Mercury Graphics Engine it has.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b U Graphics card
a b À AMD
a b V Motherboard
a c 149 à CPUs
November 11, 2013 8:09:23 AM

iknowhowtofixit said:
RobCrezz said:
From what I hear, you are better with an Nvidia card for photoshop as it uses CUDA very well.

I wouldnt get anything better than a 650 ti for photoshop work, unless you were very serious and had the money to spend.


Lol, CUDA and a 650 Ti? That's like when people put "Turbo" stickers on their car when, in fact, they have no turbo.



Not really though, is it.

The 650ti accelerates CUDA stuff pretty well for the price. Do you really suggest a 780 for photoshop? Come on..
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
November 11, 2013 8:16:44 AM

Hello... if you are a Profesional, then time is Money, a 256 bit memory bus is the minimum standard you should be using in choosing.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b U Graphics card
a b À AMD
a b V Motherboard
a c 149 à CPUs
November 11, 2013 8:23:18 AM

Ironsounds said:
Hello... if you are a Profesional, then time is Money, a 256 bit memory bus is the minimum standard you should be using in choosing.


Dont forget about the VRAM speed also. the bus size alone doesnt determine the bandwidth.

For example the new 780 Ti has a 384bit bus compared to the 290x 512bit bus, but the 780 ti has more memory bandwidth due to the clockspeed of the ram being much faster.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
a c 116 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
November 11, 2013 8:34:34 AM

keithcarter2010 said:
I have the latest motherboard, latest cpu, but my graphic card is holding me back. What is the top five choices that will work with the latest photoshops software and windows 8.


Hi - If you are dealing with large file photo's your choice of CPU & total ram (which you already have) is more important than the video card. Your best bet is to set a budget for your video card and then compare the AMD & Nvidia choices in that price bracket.

Keep in mind when you look at the comparisons that they are mostly game related. You should look at the compute benchmarks as opposed to the game benchmarks.

All other things being equal, AMD generally has better 'compute' benchmarks with cards of equal price.
Share
!