i7 3820 vs i7 3770

I am wanting to put together a new gaming rig which will (hopefully) last for a while.

Between the i7 3820 and the i7 3770, which would you recommend ? and if not, which processor (preferably intel) would you recommend?

no budget yet as i'm purely looking at performance and specs but probably around the £800 - £1000 mark.

Thanks,
James
8 answers Last reply
More about 3820 3770
  1. So you're not planning on overclocking, right?
  2. ACTechy said:
    So you're not planning on overclocking, right?


    yeah, i don't have any plans for anything like that
  3. i7 3820 vs i7 3770
    http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/compare/590?baseline=3093

    - average winner i7 3770
    - Memory Performance winner - i7 3820 - quad memory channel have Max Memory Bandwidth 51.2 GB/s vs 25.6 GB/s on dual channel 3770

    Ofc if you go for the i7-4770 instead of 3770 the winner is i7- 4770
    So my advice is i7-4770
  4. Personally, unless you really want Ivy Bridge, I'd look at the i7-4771...slightly higher stock speed than than the 3770/4770, at the same price with current coupon code (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116941).

    The i7-3820 is a nice option, but doesn't boost as high as the 3770/4770/4771, which will be nice to have since you're not overclocking. The other thing with the 3820 is since it's a 2011 socket, there aren't as many motherboard options available and they're all more expensive.

    Just my $0.02 :)
  5. ACTechy said:
    Personally, unless you really want Ivy Bridge, I'd look at the i7-4771...slightly higher stock speed than than the 3770/4770, at the same price with current coupon code (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116941).

    The i7-3820 is a nice option, but doesn't boost as high as the 3770/4770/4771, which will be nice to have since you're not overclocking. The other thing with the 3820 is since it's a 2011 socket, there aren't as many motherboard options available and they're all more expensive.

    Just my :)


    I have compared my curent i7-3820 with i5-4670 .....
    Тo be honest i5-4670 has better performance
    - i`v test them with Passmark
    - geekbench
    - CADALYST - Autocad Test - i7 - compleated the test for 12 minutes the i5 for 10 minutes
    I still can`t see the 4 channel advantage vs 2 on the Haswell ......
    Well ofc i can FULL ENCODE 120 min FULL HD movie for 11 munutes but stiil i have`t try that on Haswell PC - i hope its above just to make me feel better :)
  6. Nikolay Savov said:
    ACTechy said:
    Personally, unless you really want Ivy Bridge, I'd look at the i7-4771...slightly higher stock speed than than the 3770/4770, at the same price with current coupon code (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116941).

    The i7-3820 is a nice option, but doesn't boost as high as the 3770/4770/4771, which will be nice to have since you're not overclocking. The other thing with the 3820 is since it's a 2011 socket, there aren't as many motherboard options available and they're all more expensive.

    Just my :)


    I have compared my curent i7-3820 with i5-4670 .....
    Тo be honest i5-4670 has better performance
    - i`v test them with Passmark
    - geekbench
    - CADALYST - Autocad Test - i7 - compleated the test for 12 minutes the i5 for 10 minutes
    I still can`t see the 4 channel advantage vs 2 on the Haswell ......
    Well ofc i can FULL ENCODE 120 min FULL HD movie for 11 munutes but stiil i have`t try that on Haswell PC - i hope its above just to make me feel better :)


    I'm confused...you posted this as a response to my comment, but I didn't suggest either an i7-3820 or an i5-4670, I recommended an i7-4771; which quite a bit more powerful than an i5-4670.
  7. IMO, it's 3770k > 3820 > 3770

    The Sandy Bridge 3820 is a great overclocker. It can easily outperform the locked 3770. You are going to pay a premium for the LGA2011 motherboard though, but you could drop in a 3930k/4930k later if you wanted! :)
  8. ACTechy said:
    Nikolay Savov said:
    ACTechy said:
    Personally, unless you really want Ivy Bridge, I'd look at the i7-4771...slightly higher stock speed than than the 3770/4770, at the same price with current coupon code (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116941).

    The i7-3820 is a nice option, but doesn't boost as high as the 3770/4770/4771, which will be nice to have since you're not overclocking. The other thing with the 3820 is since it's a 2011 socket, there aren't as many motherboard options available and they're all more expensive.

    Just my :)


    I have compared my curent i7-3820 with i5-4670 .....
    Тo be honest i5-4670 has better performance
    - i`v test them with Passmark
    - geekbench
    - CADALYST - Autocad Test - i7 - compleated the test for 12 minutes the i5 for 10 minutes
    I still can`t see the 4 channel advantage vs 2 on the Haswell ......
    Well ofc i can FULL ENCODE 120 min FULL HD movie for 11 munutes but stiil i have`t try that on Haswell PC - i hope its above just to make me feel better :)


    I'm confused...you posted this as a response to my comment, but I didn't suggest either an i7-3820 or an i5-4670, I recommended an i7-4771; which quite a bit more powerful than an i5-4670.


    Don`t be - i just add some more info why i don`t recomend i7-3820
    That`s all ....
    I think i5-4670 is more than enough ....
    And if you`r about OC yes you can easy out perform stock CPU with 3820 - no argue here :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Gaming Intel i7 Processors CPUs