Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

First Time Gaming PC Build $1500 max budget with monitor and OS

Last response: in Systems
Share
November 11, 2013 3:42:18 PM

Purchase Date: The week of Black Friday for any price changes or deals on Amazon

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Everything from Amazon, because I have a store card

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: No

Hi, this is my first time building a PC. I need a Gaming PC with a monitor and an OS included. $1500 max is my budget, cheaper is better.
I have already researched and put together a build. I just want to know if these parts are compatible, if this build could be cheaper, and any recommended builds or parts that you guys have for me. The reason why I chose, the micro ATX motherboard is because I am not interested in SLI/crossfire, and it is cheaper too i think, so I wouldn't need an ATX board, correct me if I'm wrong. Also, I chose Windows 8.1 because I believe it will be better for future games. I really like NZXT cases with blue LED lights and I'd rather have a 24" monitor, just in case if you guys want to suggest anything else.
Also, I'm not sure whether to get 4 or 2 gb ram for the video card.
So if anyone can help me, it would be greatly appreciated, please and thank you!


Here's the link to my build so far
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/7Simon/saved/2NpB
November 11, 2013 3:46:12 PM

Since you are using pcpartpicker.com, it tells you if there are any possible incompatibilities / issues. This is located at the top, and for your build it says there aren't any problems. I will get back to you on any opinions I have on the build itself.
m
0
l
November 11, 2013 3:58:10 PM

Processor: Nice i5 with pretty good speed, I like Intel for the performance and reliability

Mobo: Nice specs with a lot of upgrade room for other components

Memory (RAM): Great brand, it could be cheaper for the speed / amount. May I recommend:
Team Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (search that on Newegg)

Storage: Going with a solid state, I see. If you want more space go with an HDD

Case: NZXT is a well-known brand, cases are more of a personal preference

PSU: 650W, plenty of room for upgrades considering that pcpartpicker.com estimates that the total wattage will be 418W. You never want to run out of power.

Optical drive: Just fine

OS: Now this is where it gets personal, lots of people oppose Windows 8 while others like it. There is a known "secret" backdoor for the government to access and take control of your computer. There have been lots of problems with Windows 8 already, you may want to go with Windows 7, right now it is more reliable and cheaper.

Monitor: Big 23" :D  right price

UPDATE: I forgot the video card. . . woops.
GeForce 770 2GB GDDR5 with 1636 CUDA cores. WOW! That will do a lot of heavy-duty gaming! Considering you want this PC for gaming, I would not skip out on this great card.
m
0
l
Related resources
November 11, 2013 4:16:40 PM

ThatOneComputerMan said:
Processor: Nice i5 with pretty good speed, I like Intel for the performance and reliability

Mobo: Nice specs with a lot of upgrade room for other components

Memory (RAM): Great brand, it could be cheaper for the speed / amount. May I recommend:
Team Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (search that on Newegg)

Storage: Going with a solid state, I see. If you want more space go with an HDD

Case: NZXT is a well-known brand, cases are more of a personal preference

PSU: 650W, plenty of room for upgrades considering that pcpartpicker.com estimates that the total wattage will be 418W. You never want to run out of power.

Optical drive: Just fine

OS: Now this is where it gets personal, lots of people oppose Windows 8 while others like it. There is a known "secret" backdoor for the government to access and take control of your computer. There have been lots of problems with Windows 8 already, you may want to go with Windows 7, right now it is more reliable and cheaper.

Monitor: Big 23" :D  right price

UPDATE: I forgot the video card. . . woops.
GeForce 770 2GB GDDR5 with 1636 CUDA cores. WOW! That will do a lot of heavy-duty gaming! Considering you want this PC for gaming, I would not skip out on this great card.


Thanks for the reply, I might do a little more research in the Windows 8.1 vs Windows 7, because I had no idea about that government situation! Also for the memory, I found a good price for the Team Vulcan 8 GBs on amazon, but I was wondering if you think maybe G. Skill would be a cheaper and better brand?
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 271 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
November 11, 2013 4:40:40 PM

Great gaming set-up. There's a few tweaks I would do:

Monitor: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008DWITHI/?tag=pcpapi-20
Cheaper and it's an IPS panel so you get better image quality.

RAM: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008LTJJM2/?tag=pcpapi-20
Cheaper and same performance. Might as well save that $12.

Case: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BWLL9MY/?tag=pcpapi-20
If you're going with a mATX board, might as well go with a mATX case. Going with an ATX case is a waste of space.

PSU: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004RJ8EKI/?tag=pcpapi-20
A quality 550w psu like this one is enough for this build.

I would go with Windows 8.1 because it's overall better. I've never heard of anything related to the government taking control of your computer. I've had Windows 8 since it came out and everything is faster.
Share
November 11, 2013 4:43:54 PM

anbu7elite said:

Thanks for the reply, I might do a little more research in the Windows 8.1 vs Windows 7, because I had no idea about that government situation! Also for the memory, I found a good price for the Team Vulcan 8 GBs on amazon, but I was wondering if you think maybe G. Skill would be a cheaper and better brand?


G. Skill is another great brand along with Corsair. I just saw that the Team Vulcan was a cheaper solution. I have only seen the reviews on Newegg about it and haven't heard of the brand until a week or so when I was looking for some cheap ram. G. Skill, Corsair, and Crucial are the big names and are all reliable brands, all for about the same price.

m
0
l
November 11, 2013 4:51:06 PM

realchaos said:
Great gaming set-up. There's a few tweaks I would do:

Monitor: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008DWITHI/?tag=pcpapi-20
Cheaper and it's an IPS panel so you get better image quality.

RAM: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008LTJJM2/?tag=pcpapi-20
Cheaper and same performance. Might as well save that $12.

Case: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BWLL9MY/?tag=pcpapi-20
If you're going with a mATX board, might as well go with a mATX case. Going with an ATX case is a waste of space.

PSU: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004RJ8EKI/?tag=pcpapi-20
A quality 550w psu like this one is enough for this build.

I would go with Windows 8.1 because it's overall better. I've never heard of anything related to the government taking control of your computer. I've had Windows 8 since it came out and everything is faster.


Here is an article about it: http://bit.ly/1duAAkV
Please realize that I was just spreading the word to warn people. :wahoo: 

I like the case! I might use it too :D 
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
November 11, 2013 4:51:58 PM

realchaos said:
Great gaming set-up. There's a few tweaks I would do:

Monitor: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008DWITHI/?tag=pcpapi-20
Cheaper and it's an IPS panel so you get better image quality.

RAM: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008LTJJM2/?tag=pcpapi-20
Cheaper and same performance. Might as well save that $12.

Case: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BWLL9MY/?tag=pcpapi-20
If you're going with a mATX board, might as well go with a mATX case. Going with an ATX case is a waste of space.

PSU: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004RJ8EKI/?tag=pcpapi-20
A quality 550w psu like this one is enough for this build.

I would go with Windows 8.1 because it's overall better. I've never heard of anything related to the government taking control of your computer. I've had Windows 8 since it came out and everything is faster.


This, the RAM this guy selected will save money + perform the same.
m
0
l
November 12, 2013 6:13:21 PM

realchaos said:
Great gaming set-up. There's a few tweaks I would do:

Monitor: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008DWITHI/?tag=pcpapi-20
Cheaper and it's an IPS panel so you get better image quality.

RAM: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008LTJJM2/?tag=pcpapi-20
Cheaper and same performance. Might as well save that $12.

Case: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BWLL9MY/?tag=pcpapi-20
If you're going with a mATX board, might as well go with a mATX case. Going with an ATX case is a waste of space.

PSU: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004RJ8EKI/?tag=pcpapi-20
A quality 550w psu like this one is enough for this build.

I would go with Windows 8.1 because it's overall better. I've never heard of anything related to the government taking control of your computer. I've had Windows 8 since it came out and everything is faster.


I have added and customized a few parts according to your suggestions. However, I kept the case because of the look and for the monitor I chose a 24" it has IPS too and it has a rebate form that will bring down the price to $159. I also changed the Windows 8.1 PRO 64-Bit to just the regular Windows 8.1 64-Bit, because I heard that there is no difference in gaming and speed between the two editions, just that Windows 8.1 PRO has more features of some sort.

Here's the link to my updated build

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/7Simon/saved/2NuM

Let me know what you guys think about it, thanks!
m
0
l
a c 271 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
November 12, 2013 6:37:10 PM

The monitor in your updated build is not IPS. Also, it is more expensive than the IPS monitor at amazon. Not worth the extra inch.
If you want to keep the case, then you can grab this board: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-gaz87...
Same price and ATX size.
m
0
l
November 13, 2013 7:53:59 PM

realchaos said:
The monitor in your updated build is not IPS. Also, it is more expensive than the IPS monitor at amazon. Not worth the extra inch.
If you want to keep the case, then you can grab this board: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-gaz87...
Same price and ATX size.


Thanks, I'll be going with that motherboard!
m
0
l
!