Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

780 vs 780ti 1920x1080

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 11, 2013 6:00:11 PM

Hello, I am looking to buy a new gpu (probably by christmas) and I was wondering if I should get the 780 or the 780ti. I was originally thinking of going with the 780 but then when the 780ti came out and it is supposed to be the "Best gpu in the planet" I changed my mind. It is a lot more expensive than the 780 ($200 more), so I would like to know if it really would be worth it to get the 780 ti for a 1920x1080 monitor. I am going to be gaming at maximum settings while recording. Battlefield 4... Guild Wars 2... Assassin's Creed 4 ect

More about : 780 780ti 1920x1080

November 11, 2013 6:09:34 PM

A 780 would be enough but a 780ti will of course be better. But as you said you are going to pay for it. The R9 290X is great performance/dollar too. But if not interested in that and don't really want to spend the extra 200 for something you really don't need at 1080P just get the 780
m
0
l
November 11, 2013 6:17:14 PM

Perhaps you should look into the R9 290/R9 290X . On the Nvidia Side a 780ti is complete over kill for 1 monitor 1080p a 780 will max out all games at great FPS. Perhaps think about getting a 120GHz or a higher resolution to really have a great gaming experience. You should research this before buying to make sure that the setup is right for you.
m
0
l
Related resources
November 11, 2013 6:17:42 PM

patrick47018 said:
A 780 would be enough but a 780ti will of course be better. But as you said you are going to pay for it. The R9 290X is great performance/dollar too. But if not interested in that and don't really want to spend the extra 200 for something you really don't need at 1080P just get the 780


I'm not sure about the 290X, I have never dealt with any AMD GPUs and I've always liked nvidia a bit more (you may say I'm a fan boy), they have many driver updates and best of all their new recording software ShadowPlay is incredible. So yeah, I guess I'll stick to the 780. I saw a few benchmarks where the 780 was getting an average of about 60fps in today's games on ultra with a 2560x1600 monitor so it should run flawlessly on a 1920x1080
m
0
l
November 11, 2013 6:20:53 PM

That is correct at 780 any of the GPU's we have been talking about are more than enough, good luck and if you have any other questions feel free to come on back to Tom's. Have a good day and good luck on your graphics card choice. Go for EVGA w/ACX cooling or Gigabyte Windforce for the card
m
0
l
November 11, 2013 6:21:08 PM

resin34 said:
Perhaps you should look into the R9 290/R9 290X . On the Nvidia Side a 780ti is complete over kill for 1 monitor 1080p a 780 will max out all games at great FPS. Perhaps think about getting a 120GHz or a higher resolution to really have a great gaming experience. You should research this before buying to make sure that the setup is right for you.


I'm really not bothered by 1920x1080 gaming, I've never used any higher resolutions before but I am very comfortable with it. I'm using an Asus 144hz monitor with 1ms response time. Currently using a gtx 660ti Power edition and it's not able to get me a constant 60fps in games like BF4 or Guild wars 2 on almost maximum settings.

m
0
l
November 11, 2013 6:22:26 PM

patrick47018 said:
That is correct at 780 any of the GPU's we have been talking about are more than enough, good luck and if you have any other questions feel free to come on back to Tom's. Have a good day and good luck on your graphics card choice. Go for EVGA w/ACX cooling or Gigabyte Windforce for the card


Thanks, I've been currently looking at the Asus version, it looks promising http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l

Best solution

November 11, 2013 6:26:53 PM

Not a bad card by any means but this card performs and overclocks quite a bit better http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Actually the best OC'ing 780 if I'm not mistaken
Share
November 11, 2013 6:31:42 PM

patrick47018 said:
Not a bad card by any means but this card performs and overclocks quite a bit better http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Actually the best OC'ing 780 if I'm not mistaken


Looks pretty good, base and boost clock is definitely higher. Should run anything and if there's a problem it can overclock like a beast.
m
0
l
November 11, 2013 6:55:57 PM

jaden43129 said:
patrick47018 said:
Not a bad card by any means but this card performs and overclocks quite a bit better http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Actually the best OC'ing 780 if I'm not mistaken


Looks pretty good, base and boost clock is definitely higher. Should run anything and if there's a problem it can overclock like a beast.


Exactly it will definitely be good, and it will outperform the Titan in many games with its high clock speeds
m
0
l
November 12, 2013 8:34:22 AM

I'm opting for just the 780 as well, $200 is not worth it for the length of time the card will perform well. It should be just fine for upcoming games for the next year or 2. Most everything I read says the 3gb is plenty even compared to the now oddly priced Titan's 6gb. (as the Ti is 3gb as well)

My only question though is which one runs cooler, my GPU always seems to run hot, even though my CPU is cool as a cucumber.
m
0
l
November 12, 2013 11:37:44 AM

Redbane said:
I'm opting for just the 780 as well, $200 is not worth it for the length of time the card will perform well. It should be just fine for upcoming games for the next year or 2. Most everything I read says the 3gb is plenty even compared to the now oddly priced Titan's 6gb. (as the Ti is 3gb as well)

My only question though is which one runs cooler, my GPU always seems to run hot, even though my CPU is cool as a cucumber.


How hot does it run? You may think it's running pretty hot but remember that GPUs have a very high temperature resistance and most can go up to 100C. From my experiences with a badly cooled case I've gotten about 60-75C on full load
m
0
l
November 23, 2013 10:54:53 AM

jaden43129 said:


How hot does it run? You may think it's running pretty hot but remember that GPUs have a very high temperature resistance and most can go up to 100C. From my experiences with a badly cooled case I've gotten about 60-75C on full load


I upgraded to the EVGA 780 GTX with dual fans and couldn't be happier. I'm able to play BF4 on full ultra and I choose to make the card run at 78-79c maximum which is 100% of the card. (no real OCing yet)

My previous card was a 560ti and would run over 91c on Simcity until I hooked up a CPU heatsink and fan to it, and saved 10 degrees. It was some hilarity, but it worked :) 
m
0
l
November 23, 2013 11:21:18 AM

Redbane said:
jaden43129 said:


How hot does it run? You may think it's running pretty hot but remember that GPUs have a very high temperature resistance and most can go up to 100C. From my experiences with a badly cooled case I've gotten about 60-75C on full load


I upgraded to the EVGA 780 GTX with dual fans and couldn't be happier. I'm able to play BF4 on full ultra and I choose to make the card run at 78-79c maximum which is 100% of the card. (no real OCing yet)

My previous card was a 560ti and would run over 91c on Simcity until I hooked up a CPU heatsink and fan to it, and saved 10 degrees. It was some hilarity, but it worked :) 


Wow, and I get worried when my 660ti hits the 70s lol. 91C is insane. Btw are you able to supersample on BF4 with a decent fps still?
m
0
l
November 23, 2013 12:49:23 PM

over 80 fps with everything maxed and geforce shadowplay running.

I recommend the evga 780 ftw version on sale at newegg with 3 free games if you do it.
m
0
l
November 23, 2013 1:15:16 PM

Redbane said:
over 80 fps with everything maxed and geforce shadowplay running.

I recommend the evga 780 ftw version on sale at newegg with 3 free games if you do it.


I'm going with the EVGA ACX cooler edition, it's capable of overclocking pretty well and it will be an overkill at my resolution anyways. I'm gonna get it by christmas hopefully the deal is still around.
m
0
l
November 23, 2013 3:35:59 PM

The only difference between the standard 780 w/ ACX and the 780 w/ ACX FTW is 30 more dollars and 13 MHz stock clock, you will OC higher than that and it only takes 30 seconds. Go with the 780 w/ ACX Cooling, but don't overpay for stock OC's
m
0
l
April 9, 2014 1:44:00 PM

jaden43129 said:
Redbane said:
over 80 fps with everything maxed and geforce shadowplay running.

I recommend the evga 780 ftw version on sale at newegg with 3 free games if you do it.


I'm going with the EVGA ACX cooler edition, it's capable of overclocking pretty well and it will be an overkill at my resolution anyways. I'm gonna get it by christmas hopefully the deal is still around.


Same thing, I have the ACX cooler FTW edition... and just RMA'd it, which is why I'm responding to this post, was asking about another problem and saw you responded. haha.
m
0
l
!