Sign in with
Your question
Solved

770 sli vs single 780 ti

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 11, 2013 6:37:07 PM

I'm in the market for a new card again and im wondering your guys thoughts. Now before i start i did search throught the 100's of 770 sli vs 780 threads first but didnt really find one close to my situation.

This is my question. Obviously 770sli will be faster then the 780 ti and my rig can handle the sli configuration ( 1000wat psu, Z87 -g65, i7 4770k @4.2)

Question 1: Ive never ran a sli config before. is it a pain in the ass? like do you run in to common problems often?

Question 2: I need it to run three 27" 1080p monitors so if i got the sli i would have to get the 4GB or would the 2gb version do fine?

More about : 770 sli single 780

November 11, 2013 6:42:19 PM

If you're gaming on all three get the 4gb version, 2gb ones should be able to handle single monitor gaming @1080p. SLI scaling is as far as I know quite a ways ahead of crossfire, having said that I have seen folks complain about microstuttering and whatnot running SLI configs, so its not without some of its quirks, and I've always tried to stay with single GPU set ups mainly because of simplicity/budget and not having to worry about SLI scaling, drivers etc.
m
l
November 11, 2013 6:44:04 PM

if your going to sli
the price you might aswell buy a gtx 780ti it would be more future proof and you can sli later on
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

November 11, 2013 6:46:14 PM

I'm not sure if the 780ti can support 3 monitors although it should. SLI, although not very buggy, its still not as good as one card reliability wise. Some games wont utilize SLI as well. Therefor you wont get the full performance of both cards. I would go for the 780Ti. One card, almost as strong as 770's SLI. Less issues and games will utilize the whole card. Plus it is just easier to manage. I was going for 770 SLI but with the new 780Ti, im just going to get that instead.

Either way would work fine. Although I think a single 780Ti will perform better than 2 770's when it comes to games utilizing multi-gpu support. If you did 770's I would go for the 4GB version since your running 3 monitors all in 1080p.

Also in the future you could get another 780Ti, which wouldn't be for a long ass time tbh.
November 11, 2013 6:57:33 PM

Yeah thats what i was thinking. Hopefully after the reference cards they make a ti with 4gb ram
m
l
November 11, 2013 6:58:35 PM

Direhelmet said:
Yeah thats what i was thinking. Hopefully after the reference cards they make a ti with 4gb ram

4GB cards are a guarantee. Should be out sooner than later.
m
l
November 15, 2013 6:15:16 AM

TripleBullet said:
Direhelmet said:

4GB cards are a guarantee. Should be out sooner than later.

I reckon they'll go straight for the jugular with 6GB VRAM. Although we're not even close to having games that can utilize that yet, it'll just put it up there with the Titan.
m
l
November 15, 2013 6:47:31 AM

In terms of usable VRAM, the 4GB on the GTX770 is less usable than the 3GB on the GTX780ti, seeing as it is still using the same 256bit bus. This effectively means that the memory is getting pushed through the bus at half the speed if you were to load the VRAM Buffer to its maximum.
Instead of 128bits per GB it is running at 64bits per GB, in games that use less than 2GB of VRAM that will be fine, seeing as it will use the full bus width no matter what, but on games that may require 3GB+ you would only see a modest increase over the 2GB Version. 1 or 2 FPS in fact due to bus width bottleneck.
The GTX780 and 780ti use the standard 128bit per GB, utilising a 384bit bus for 3GB. This will result in faster memory addressing at high resolution. All in all, GTX770 in SLI, whilst it WILL be faster, it won't make much of a difference whether you use 2GB or 4GB, and bear in mind that it is SLI and this means working out all the kinks that come as standard with a dual GPU setup. Although, SLI is currently much better than Crossfire, and Nvidia are very fast with their optimisations, frame stuttering has almost been completely eliminated in SLI now.
m
l
November 15, 2013 7:34:23 AM

he price you might aswell buy a gtx 780ti it would be more future proof and you can sli later on
m
l
November 16, 2013 12:38:25 AM

deadjon said:
In terms of usable VRAM, the 4GB on the GTX770 is less usable than the 3GB on the GTX780ti, seeing as it is still using the same 256bit bus. This effectively means that the memory is getting pushed through the bus at half the speed if you were to load the VRAM Buffer to its maximum.
Instead of 128bits per GB it is running at 64bits per GB, in games that use less than 2GB of VRAM that will be fine, seeing as it will use the full bus width no matter what, but on games that may require 3GB+ you would only see a modest increase over the 2GB Version. 1 or 2 FPS in fact due to bus width bottleneck.
The GTX780 and 780ti use the standard 128bit per GB, utilising a 384bit bus for 3GB. This will result in faster memory addressing at high resolution. All in all, GTX770 in SLI, whilst it WILL be faster, it won't make much of a difference whether you use 2GB or 4GB, and bear in mind that it is SLI and this means working out all the kinks that come as standard with a dual GPU setup. Although, SLI is currently much better than Crossfire, and Nvidia are very fast with their optimisations, frame stuttering has almost been completely eliminated in SLI now.

I agree sli is pretty smooth..Well atleast it has been for me
m
l
November 28, 2013 9:59:50 PM

TripleBullet said:
I'm not sure if the 780ti can support 3 monitors although it should. SLI, although not very buggy, its still not as good as one card reliability wise. Some games wont utilize SLI as well. Therefor you wont get the full performance of both cards. I would go for the 780Ti. One card, almost as strong as 770's SLI. Less issues and games will utilize the whole card. Plus it is just easier to manage. I was going for 770 SLI but with the new 780Ti, im just going to get that instead.

Either way would work fine. Although I think a single 780Ti will perform better than 2 770's when it comes to games utilizing multi-gpu support. If you did 770's I would go for the 4GB version since your running 3 monitors all in 1080p.

Also in the future you could get another 780Ti, which wouldn't be for a long ass time tbh.

Im sorry but 770 sli destroys most except 290x crossfire and titan in sli
There isn't enough memory on these 780 ti cards to make use of the benefit the extra speed will give you because you will hit the memory limit very fast,
You need a minimum of 4 gig to sli these cards,
770 sli is about 60% faster than any 780ti card out there and with a extra gig to play with.
I hit 3850 meg usage on bf4 all ultra 200% texture res @ 2560x1600 res.
You try that on on a 780 your be memory swapping all day long.

m
l
November 28, 2013 10:02:06 PM

this idea people are throwing out about 780ti being future proof have it all wrong.
The future is 2.5 to 4k res and 3 gig just isn't enough to make it future proof....
m
l
January 1, 2014 3:55:15 AM

brian12345 said:
TripleBullet said:

There isn't enough memory on these 780 ti cards to make use of the benefit the extra speed will give you because you will hit the memory limit very fast,
770 sli is about 60% faster than any 780ti card out there and with a extra gig to play with.

Hi. I am in a similar predicament as you, although I am gaming on a single monitor (and not 3 monitors), mostly due to limited desk space and lack of funds right now (it's not easy being a university student!). I have a BenQXL2411T. Only 3 weeks ago I bought a Palit 780Ti from Dabs for £500. I thought it was a bargain, but I have now realised that card is complete junk. On heaven 4, it was scoring only 1313 points (with everything maxed out). My previous Zotac 780GTX was scoring 1521 points with everything maxed out.

I spoke to tech support at Novatech and they said Palit is a cheap, low performing brand (this is why Novatech does not stock Palit). he advised I return it and get a 780Ti. However, the Ti is more expensive. I was considering the XFX-280X from Dabs (selling for £240) and I placed my order for two units, but after reading Amazon reviews about heating issues of VRM, I have now changed my mind and have opted to go for a pair of Zotac 770GTX in SLI. What really convinced me was this review -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPMsg8qqva0

According to 'tech of tomorrow', the 770GTX in SLI completely destroys the Titan, 780GTX and 7990HD by circa 20%-30%.

I know the 770GTX SLI is the old GK104 chipset as the 680GTX, but I am gaming on one monitor and it is the cheapest solution currently available at or below the £500 mark (as it even beats the Titan and 780Ti). I have read about SLI issues and TBH, I have never used SLI before so I am a bit concerned. But I will only know what it is like when I receive it.

I don't know if the benchmark link I have posted is correct or not. So what say you guys?.
m
l
January 1, 2014 4:08:16 AM

If you 780 was doing better than the 780ti then you had something incorrect on your system. The 780 just isnt going to beat a 780ti unless you are bottlenecking or have out dated drivers either on your motherboard, bios or maybe even the gpu bios. While I agree the 770 is a nice card it is old tech and gets beat by the gtx680 in some performance test. I dont think buying new "old tech" is a wise "upgrade". The 780ti at 1080p should do fine and as stated you could always sli it with another once the prices drop.
m
l
January 1, 2014 4:48:50 AM

azzazel_99. Thanks for the advice. However, I checked my system thoroughly and all drivers, BIOS, etc were up to date. I even ran Samsung wizard to make sure my ssd's were working properly (and they are). I have to agree with Novatech tech support department (in that Palit is not a high performing brand). I have always used Asus, Gigabyte and Zotac and never had any problems. Funnily enough, I did have a Gainward Phantom 680GTX and that croaked after 9 months. What is interesting is that the same Chinese company that owns Palit also owns Gainward (and I have come across forums where people where having problems with the Gainward Phantom GFX cards. It transpired the GDDR5 RAM being used was sub-par).

I am a bit short on money right now but I can still afford a 780Ti. However, if the revamped 680GTX (ie - 770GTX) in SLI can outperform the 780Ti and do it for less money, then is it not worth considering even as a stop gap for say 6 months or so? (which will give time for the 780Ti prices to drop). Buying a second 780Ti (or even 2x780GTX) is still the much more expensive option. My rig -

AMD FX9590
Alpenfohn K2 mount doom cooler
Asus Crosshair V Formula Z mobo
Team extreme 16GB RAM at 2400MHz.
Palit 780Ti (which I am now going to RMA)
Samsung evo 500GB ssd (boot drive)
Samsung evo 250GB ss (favourite games 1)
Kingston HyperX 240GB ssd (favourite games 2)
WD caviar black 2TB HDD (7200rpm)
Hitachi 4TB HDD (7200rpm)
Creative ZXR soundblaster
Coolermaster silent pro Gold 80+ gold 1200w psu
CM storm trooper
LG-BDREx2
m
l
January 1, 2014 6:17:17 AM

Yes 2 770 would be a good performer there is no doubt. Im just not a believer in buying older tech on a new product. The 770 is a good card though no doubt.
m
l
January 1, 2014 3:13:29 PM

I have the 780ti w/3 monitors and running at max settings 1080p without problems. The only problem I've run into is heat. You need MSI afterburner to be able to force the fan speed higher because the "auto" just doesn't go fast enough. I also have it OC'd slightly but not sure if that's an issue.

On a side note, I was wondering how much performance I might get with adding a 4gb 770 to it? Any thoughts?
m
l
January 1, 2014 5:59:38 PM

You cannot sli a 770 with a 780ti.
m
l
January 1, 2014 6:55:34 PM

canopus72 said:
brian12345 said:
TripleBullet said:

Hi. I am in a similar predicament as you, although I am gaming on a single monitor (and not 3 monitors), mostly due to limited desk space and lack of funds right now (it's not easy being a university student!). I have a BenQXL2411T. Only 3 weeks ago I bought a Palit 780Ti from Dabs for £500. I thought it was a bargain, but I have now realised that card is complete junk. On heaven 4, it was scoring only 1313 points (with everything maxed out). My previous Zotac 780GTX was scoring 1521 points with everything maxed out.

I spoke to tech support at Novatech and they said Palit is a cheap, low performing brand (this is why Novatech does not stock Palit). he advised I return it and get a 780Ti. However, the Ti is more expensive. I was considering the XFX-280X from Dabs (selling for £240) and I placed my order for two units, but after reading Amazon reviews about heating issues of VRM, I have now changed my mind and have opted to go for a pair of Zotac 770GTX in SLI. What really convinced me was this review -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPMsg8qqva0

According to 'tech of tomorrow', the 770GTX in SLI completely destroys the Titan, 780GTX and 7990HD by circa 20%-30%.

I know the 770GTX SLI is the old GK104 chipset as the 680GTX, but I am gaming on one monitor and it is the cheapest solution currently available at or below the £500 mark (as it even beats the Titan and 780Ti). I have read about SLI issues and TBH, I have never used SLI before so I am a bit concerned. But I will only know what it is like when I receive it.

I don't know if the benchmark link I have posted is correct or not. So what say you guys?.

Its easy,
you go for 2x 290 not the 290x cards for 600 pounds.
It has 4 gig and is just as fast as 2 780 cards and for a lot less with more memory so you wont be memory swapping latter.
m
l
January 2, 2014 2:19:13 AM

lmfao the 290 is not as fast as 2 780's in sli.
m
l
February 25, 2014 8:51:08 AM

770 sli destroys a 780ti and will do it for less money. I went with two reference evga 770s back at their price drop in september of 2013 -- its now a 320$ card. 1045mhz > 1267mhz overclocked. They never go above 65-70c, which is amazing. I play single monitor -- ASUS VG248QE -- There is no point in getting cards this strong without a 144hz monitor. No point in having hardware that can do 200fps when your monitor can only display 60. a 780ti will be able to do nvidia surround (3monitor), you'll just need an active display port adapter for the 3rd monitor.

configuring sli doesn't take much to do. its actually very simple, nowadays. nvidia is pushing sli and always updating and optimizing for it. microstuttering is a thing of the past and hardly exists in both crossfire and sli setups. If you're looking for price per performance -- sli is hands down the best bang for your buck.
m
l
February 25, 2014 9:48:25 AM

Fel1 said:
770 sli destroys a 780ti and will do it for less money. I went with two reference evga 770s back at their price drop in september of 2013 -- its now a 320$ card. 1045mhz > 1267mhz overclocked. They never go above 65-70c, which is amazing. I play single monitor -- ASUS VG248QE -- There is no point in getting cards this strong without a 144hz monitor. No point in having hardware that can do 200fps when your monitor can only display 60. a 780ti will be able to do nvidia surround (3monitor), you'll just need an active display port adapter for the 3rd monitor.

configuring sli doesn't take much to do. its actually very simple, nowadays. nvidia is pushing sli and always updating and optimizing for it. microstuttering is a thing of the past and hardly exists in both crossfire and sli setups. If you're looking for price per performance -- sli is hands down the best bang for your buck.

Fantastic thanks for replying to a solved thread that is 2 months old now.
m
l
February 25, 2014 11:44:14 PM

in multi-monitor setups the dual 770s beat out the 780ti... Yes get the 4gb version also and the memory bus shouldn't be that big of a deal from what I've seen dual 770s scale better than 760s and 2 760s call in a hit on the 780 usually by about a 20-35% performance boost in games that have good sli support. So in theory I believe that 770s would deal a major blow to 780ti, but it also is quite a bit more tdp efficient and more quiet to boot.
m
l
!