Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

First Time Intel Gaming Home Build Review

Last response: in Systems
Share
November 11, 2013 7:02:02 PM

Hi -

This would my first build...

Can someone have a look and confirm it all makes sense, and there are not some obvious flaws or better parts for the same price? Tks.

Country: Canada
Intended use: Gaming, home cinema, photo processing

I want something quiet but also powerful enough so that I wont bother upgrading in 2-3 years.
I dont plan on overclocking.
I am not a hardcore gamer, but I do like to play games.

i7-3770 vs i5-3570: still hesitating between those two.
Windows 7 or 8? Ive heard better reviews on 7...
Ivy vs Haswell: Haswell hasnt convinced me yet that the 5% better performance (under certain conditions) is worth the 5% higher CPU consumption
MODO: I read good reviews and reliability from ASUS and i wanted 3x6GB/s in case i want to add an extra drive

Parts:
PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/20V1u
Price breakdown by merchant: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/20V1u/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/20V1u/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($315.00 @ Canada Computers)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LE ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($159.85 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($80.83 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($104.77 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($157.46 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($273.48 @ NCIX)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($72.06 @ DirectCanada)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($86.72 @ Newegg Canada)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($19.32 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $1269.49

Tks to all!

More about : time intel gaming home build review

a b 4 Gaming
November 12, 2013 4:00:30 AM

You're not getting a "K" version of the CPU so you don't need such an expensive motherboard.
m
0
l
November 12, 2013 5:55:32 AM

Do you have an OS? If not you might want to consider that in your budget. And Some people dont like oem heatsink (too noisy) so might want to consider a heatsink (like Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO) though you are not overclocking so it is not a necessity. And before buying online might want to check some local stores you could save a couple bucks.
m
0
l
Related resources
November 12, 2013 8:32:32 AM

Ronaldspiers said:
You're not getting a "K" version of the CPU so you don't need such an expensive motherboard.


Yopu mean I should go with H77 instead of Z77 for the chipset since I wont overclock? Is the motherboard of similar quality?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
November 12, 2013 8:39:40 AM

olimaltar said:
Ronaldspiers said:
You're not getting a "K" version of the CPU so you don't need such an expensive motherboard.


Yopu mean I should go with H77 instead of Z77 for the chipset since I wont overclock? Is the motherboard of similar quality?


Yeah the H77 mobo should be good for your needs. The Z77 ones are designed for overclocking in mind
m
0
l

Best solution

November 12, 2013 9:09:12 AM

I wouldn't really say it like that. Z77 over H77 or Z87 over H87 difference ain't only the ability of over-clocking.
If you wanna use 4 ram sticks and 2 or more graphics cards (sli, crossfire) and work on creating 3d images like adding skills to a character in an gpu intensive game then I would bang my head on the walls for choosing a h77 over z77 and given the fact z77 can process video convert faster (well that's my opinion). well and some z77/87 mb come with cool adds like better sound card, killer lan...

and olimaltar if you want I would suggest you this build ^^ :

CPU: i5 4670k (5% faster in single and multi threaded operations than 3570k) 244,99$ newegg canada
buy the non k version if you don't want to overclock, it will give you more stability for some rendering and editing programs.
Mainboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Pro Gaming with Killer Networking & Sound Blaster Intel Motherboard 144,99$ newegg canada
(call me g45 fan lol ^^)
Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 69,99$ newegg canada
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($104.77 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 7200 RPM 89,99$ Newegg canada
GPU: EVGA ACX Cooler 03G-P4-2784-KR GeForce GTX 780 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI 539,99$ newegg canada
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($86.72 @ Newegg Canada)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($19.32 @ DirectCanada)
Total: 1300,76$
(and make OGD 4 skyrim and crysis 3 cry on 1080p at max of max 1 monitor lol)

or just change the 780 Gpu if is to expensive though is awesome, with :
GIGABYTE GV-R928XOC-3GD Radeon R9 280X 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
Newegg canada 314,99$
and you get total : 1075,76$ still a monster XP
Share
November 12, 2013 9:10:30 AM

olimaltar said:
Ronaldspiers said:
You're not getting a "K" version of the CPU so you don't need such an expensive motherboard.


Yopu mean I should go with H77 instead of Z77 for the chipset since I wont overclock? Is the motherboard of similar quality?


Or you can get the K CPU and have the ability to overclock and squeeze out a little more usability if/when your systems shows signs of slowness.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
November 12, 2013 9:13:05 AM

Sayken said:
I wouldn't really say it like that. Z77 over H77 or Z87 over H87 difference ain't only the ability of over-clocking.
If you wanna use 4 ram sticks and 2 or more graphics cards (sli, crossfire) and work on creating 3d images like adding skills to a character in an gpu intensive game then I would bang my head on the walls for choosing a h77 over z77 and given the fact z77 can process video convert faster (well that's my opinion). well and some z77/87 mb come with cool adds like better sound card, killer lan...

and olimaltar if you want I would suggest you this build ^^ :

CPU: i5 4670k (5% faster in single and multi threaded operations than 3570k) 244,99$ newegg canada
buy the non k version if you don't want to overclock, it will give you more stability for some rendering and editing programs.
Mainboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Pro Gaming with Killer Networking & Sound Blaster Intel Motherboard 144,99$ newegg canada
(call me g45 fan lol ^^)
Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 69,99$ newegg canada
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($104.77 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 7200 RPM 89,99$ Newegg canada
GPU: EVGA ACX Cooler 03G-P4-2784-KR GeForce GTX 780 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI 539,99$ newegg canada
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($86.72 @ Newegg Canada)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($19.32 @ DirectCanada)
Total: 1300,76$
(and make OGD 4 skyrim and crysis 3 cry on 1080p at max of max 1 monitor lol)

or just change the 780 Gpu if is to expensive though is awesome, with :
GIGABYTE GV-R928XOC-3GD Radeon R9 280X 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
Newegg canada 314,99$
and you get total : 1075,76$ still a monster XP


Never really thought about the Z vs H sets like that :p  glad someone with a bit more expertise posted :) 

m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
November 12, 2013 9:17:11 AM

Ronaldspiers said:
Sayken said:
I wouldn't really say it like that. Z77 over H77 or Z87 over H87 difference ain't only the ability of over-clocking.
If you wanna use 4 ram sticks and 2 or more graphics cards (sli, crossfire) and work on creating 3d images like adding skills to a character in an gpu intensive game then I would bang my head on the walls for choosing a h77 over z77 and given the fact z77 can process video convert faster (well that's my opinion). well and some z77/87 mb come with cool adds like better sound card, killer lan...

and olimaltar if you want I would suggest you this build ^^ :

CPU: i5 4670k (5% faster in single and multi threaded operations than 3570k) 244,99$ newegg canada
buy the non k version if you don't want to overclock, it will give you more stability for some rendering and editing programs.
Mainboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Pro Gaming with Killer Networking & Sound Blaster Intel Motherboard 144,99$ newegg canada
(call me g45 fan lol ^^)
Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 69,99$ newegg canada
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($104.77 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 7200 RPM 89,99$ Newegg canada
GPU: EVGA ACX Cooler 03G-P4-2784-KR GeForce GTX 780 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI 539,99$ newegg canada
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($86.72 @ Newegg Canada)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($19.32 @ DirectCanada)
Total: 1300,76$
(and make OGD 4 skyrim and crysis 3 cry on 1080p at max of max 1 monitor lol)

or just change the 780 Gpu if is to expensive though is awesome, with :
GIGABYTE GV-R928XOC-3GD Radeon R9 280X 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
Newegg canada 314,99$
and you get total : 1075,76$ still a monster XP


Never really thought about the Z vs H sets like that :p  glad someone with a bit more expertise posted :) 



if you get an i7 you leave all the door open for any graphical design work you might encounter over the next 3 years at least. So it think, seeing as budget isnt a huge concern for you, get an i7, it wont make as big of a difference going from i5 in gaming, but it will for professional work
m
0
l
November 12, 2013 9:30:33 AM

an i7 4930k/4960k will help you real big in this graphical world work but i7 4770k has only 4 cores (real) the others 4 are virtual almost fake ones.. yes it will give you more performance in that kind of expertise well maybe 14% at maximum but won't hold you that much and 4770k ain't really worth if you are not working with real time 3d graphics builder where the i7 4770k itself barely manages while i5 4670k lags like banana dance then gives up and takes a round fishing. well I have no clue about i7 3770k so that might do better same or worse
m
0
l
November 12, 2013 9:36:43 AM

and why not fx 8350 if the main occupation is graphics and audio build/edit. I know fx 8350 doesn't have the single core and second frequency speed power of i7 4770k but well believe me 8 real cores save your ass in some situations compared with 4 real 4 virtual when the real ones hit the limit and the virtual start fading away. Nor does it have the "professional working" power of i7 4960k which is a unique product even 30% better than 4930k in audio editing but we are talking about cute price here (>^-^)> let's not be only intel fans!
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
November 12, 2013 10:21:32 AM

Sayken said:
and why not fx 8350 if the main occupation is graphics and audio build/edit. I know fx 8350 doesn't have the single core and second frequency speed power of i7 4770k but well believe me 8 real cores save your ass in some situations compared with 4 real 4 virtual when the real ones hit the limit and the virtual start fading away. Nor does it have the "professional working" power of i7 4960k which is a unique product even 30% better than 4930k in audio editing but we are talking about cute price here (>^-^)> let's not be only intel fans!


Ok first of all i agree, the fx 8350 with a OC is my favorite choice for 3d modeling and animation. Maybe the intel chips still have the edge with photo editing and rendering? idk, i know rendering has a lot to do with system RAM too. I just kinda assumed OP wanted to go intel..
Btw lets not get into "real" and non real cores, because the hyperthreading on intel chips is efficient power wise and pretty damn good. AMD chips arent all real either..

m
0
l
November 12, 2013 11:26:01 AM

that was only an example. and fx 8350 does in fact have 8 real cores.. only thing is they don't get enough food if you know what I mean.
Intel is superior only in "processing speed" nothing else.
and hyperthreading is useful only as long as the program is not using all 4 real cores at max,
but editing and creating are 2 separate things,
the creating programs will pretty much use 100% of all 4 cores of an intel i7 4770k and at that moment the other virtual cores will be useless since they are only virtual, they exist only as long as the 4 real cores don't pass they're limit.
in fact you are right , the not so well fed 8 cores of fx 8350 still show uselessness lol
m
0
l
November 13, 2013 8:40:39 AM

Ronaldspiers said:
olimaltar said:
Ronaldspiers said:
You're not getting a "K" version of the CPU so you don't need such an expensive motherboard.


Yopu mean I should go with H77 instead of Z77 for the chipset since I wont overclock? Is the motherboard of similar quality?


Yeah the H77 mobo should be good for your needs. The Z77 ones are designed for overclocking in mind


Tks - well the only big drawback i see is the equivalent H77 Asus board only has 3 USB 3.0 and 2 6GBS SATA.... I do think once my drives are full that ill want the option to be able put in another HDD, and 2 USB 3.0?? Only? Thats not much.

At least that was the reasoning....
m
0
l
November 13, 2013 8:44:30 AM

Sayken said:
I wouldn't really say it like that. Z77 over H77 or Z87 over H87 difference ain't only the ability of over-clocking.
If you wanna use 4 ram sticks and 2 or more graphics cards (sli, crossfire) and work on creating 3d images like adding skills to a character in an gpu intensive game then I would bang my head on the walls for choosing a h77 over z77 and given the fact z77 can process video convert faster (well that's my opinion). well and some z77/87 mb come with cool adds like better sound card, killer lan...

and olimaltar if you want I would suggest you this build ^^ :

CPU: i5 4670k (5% faster in single and multi threaded operations than 3570k) 244,99$ newegg canada
buy the non k version if you don't want to overclock, it will give you more stability for some rendering and editing programs.
Mainboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Pro Gaming with Killer Networking & Sound Blaster Intel Motherboard 144,99$ newegg canada
(call me g45 fan lol ^^)
Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 69,99$ newegg canada
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($104.77 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 7200 RPM 89,99$ Newegg canada
GPU: EVGA ACX Cooler 03G-P4-2784-KR GeForce GTX 780 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI 539,99$ newegg canada
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($86.72 @ Newegg Canada)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($19.32 @ DirectCanada)
Total: 1300,76$
(and make OGD 4 skyrim and crysis 3 cry on 1080p at max of max 1 monitor lol)

or just change the 780 Gpu if is to expensive though is awesome, with :
GIGABYTE GV-R928XOC-3GD Radeon R9 280X 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
Newegg canada 314,99$
and you get total : 1075,76$ still a monster XP


Tks! But im trying to reduce cost if possible :)  What i posted was sort of the ultimate i want to spend/get.

Yes, agreed for the MOBO but i dont plan on doing SLI/Crossfire.

I might change the RAM for what you suggested since i read its the same quality and cheaper... And might also downgrade to i5.

m
0
l
November 13, 2013 9:03:51 AM

I saw the r9 280x lower it's price to 280$ now
would be genial if you could get that
but hey you have no intention to oc or create 3d moving images or edit shaders ...
so a h87 should do then ,

would this work in your budget?
MSI H87-G43 LGA1150 ATX 4 32GB $97.24

hmm lol what I found

MSI Z87-G43 LGA1150 ATX 4 32GB $104.49

or does it have to go cheaper? ^^
m
0
l
!