Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Black screen followed by "Display driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered".

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 11, 2013 8:25:14 PM

Hi Guys,

I have a weird problem since past week. Every time i run a game (any game), the screen goes black for few seconds and then re-appears with message - "Display driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered".

My PC configuration:
Windows 8.1 Pro
Intel Core2Duo E7500 CPU
Nvidia Geforce GTS 250 GPU
Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 650W PSU
Transcend 2 x 2GB DDR2 RAM
Gigabyte GA945GCM-S2L Motherboard

I googled this problem and have tried the following:
1. Updated my graphics card drivers.
2. Tried the registry fix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2665946
3. Downgraded to Windows 7 (by doing a clean install).

But still the problem occurs.
I am out of ideas.

More about : black screen display driver stopped responding successfully recovered

a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
November 11, 2013 8:50:04 PM

You could roll back to a previous version of the driver and see if that works any differently.

Could be something hardware related, card going bad, PSU going bad, etc...
m
0
l
November 11, 2013 9:00:31 PM

Anub1s said:
You could roll back to a previous version of the driver and see if that works any differently.

Could be something hardware related, card going bad, PSU going bad, etc...


Yeah i have tried older version of the driver. Same result.

Another thing i forgot to mention -
I ran Furmark GPU stress test, it also crashes with same message.
But when i UNDERCLOCKED my GPU, the stress test ran fine.

Games also running fine when gpu underclocked but crashes on stock clocks.

Does that mean my PSU is getting bad :( 
m
0
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
November 11, 2013 9:40:27 PM

That means that your GPU is facing either problem -
/Overheating. Clogged up GPU cooler and/or its fan may cause issues like overheating. This leads to the GPU driver crashing. This issue mostly happens with older GPUs which are not cleaned for a long interval.
/Wrong settings. While you claim your running stock settings , its quite possible that you may have tweaked GPU settings like fan speed , core clock or memory clock. OCing if done on stock voltages can be unsafe as the voltage is meant for the default settings. Increasing or decreasing the voltage to a completely unstable level can also cause this.
/Damaged GPU BIOS. Cna be a damaged GPU BIOS.

I doubt the PSU is getting bad , but let me tell'ya its a bad series already.-
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
November 11, 2013 9:45:08 PM

How underclocked did you need to go to make it stable?

If everything ran fine for an extended period of time at a lower clock, I would suspect a PSU problem.
m
0
l
November 11, 2013 10:08:49 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Stock clocks are ->
Core clock - 740 Mhz
Memory clock - 1100 Mhz
Shader clock - 1836 Mhz


It is running stable at ->
Core clock - 670 Mhz
Memory Clock - 980 Mhz
Shader Clock - 1637 Mhz

When gaming, the temperature goes up to 85C. I have a utility which beeps when GPU temps go higher than 85C. So, whenever that happens i switch to Desktop for few seconds to cool it down. Also, i never overclocked my graphics card.

Both my GPU and PSU are 4 years old.

As far as cleaning goes, i cleaned my graphics card previous month.

How can i test if my GPU has a damaged bios or whether PSU is supplying enough power?
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
November 11, 2013 10:09:44 PM

AmJay said:
Hi Guys,

I have a weird problem since past week. Every time i run a game (any game), the screen goes black for few seconds and then re-appears with message - "Display driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered".

My PC configuration:
Windows 8.1 Pro
Intel Core2Duo E7500 CPU
Nvidia Geforce GTS 250 GPU

Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 650W PSU
Transcend 2 x 2GB DDR2 RAM
Gigabyte GA945GCM-S2L Motherboard

I googled this problem and have tried the following:
1. Updated my graphics card drivers.
2. Tried the registry fix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2665946
3. Downgraded to Windows 7 (by doing a clean install).

But still the problem occurs.
I am out of ideas.


AmJay said:
Anub1s said:
You could roll back to a previous version of the driver and see if that works any differently.

Could be something hardware related, card going bad, PSU going bad, etc...


Yeah i have tried older version of the driver. Same result.

Another thing i forgot to mention -
I ran Furmark GPU stress test, it also crashes with same message.
But when i UNDERCLOCKED my GPU, the stress test ran fine.

Games also running fine when gpu underclocked but crashes on stock clocks.

Does that mean my PSU is getting bad :( 


First off your equipment is at End of Life. The 250 was released in 2009 (that makes it in a couple months 5 years old) and I wont' even bother talking about the Core2Duo. Further your trying to still run on 4GB only of DDR2 RAM, realllllllyyyy out of date, and your expecting W8.1 to perform like this system did when you first got it so many years ago? BAD CHOICE.

Your system is telling you (by the undervolting) the equipment is near end of life and your trying to push the newest standards on it is causing it to fail. Any changes to this system would NOT BE COST EFFECTIVE, when a new desktop computer (or better yet a laptop) with a latest Gen i5 Core, 6-8GB of DDR3 RAM, Windows 8.1 preinstalled, 500GB-1TB drive and normally packages with a new screen, mouse and keyboard all for a mere $399 at walmart. All you would need to do is swap your PSU to the 'new system' and add a cheap gaming card, and your performance - costs would be much better off then trying to 'salvage' a system you can't even get parts for anymore.
m
0
l
November 11, 2013 10:43:56 PM

Tom Tancredi said:
AmJay said:
Hi Guys,

I have a weird problem since past week. Every time i run a game (any game), the screen goes black for few seconds and then re-appears with message - "Display driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered".

My PC configuration:
Windows 8.1 Pro
Intel Core2Duo E7500 CPU
Nvidia Geforce GTS 250 GPU

Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 650W PSU
Transcend 2 x 2GB DDR2 RAM
Gigabyte GA945GCM-S2L Motherboard

I googled this problem and have tried the following:
1. Updated my graphics card drivers.
2. Tried the registry fix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2665946
3. Downgraded to Windows 7 (by doing a clean install).

But still the problem occurs.
I am out of ideas.


AmJay said:
Anub1s said:
You could roll back to a previous version of the driver and see if that works any differently.

Could be something hardware related, card going bad, PSU going bad, etc...


Yeah i have tried older version of the driver. Same result.

Another thing i forgot to mention -
I ran Furmark GPU stress test, it also crashes with same message.
But when i UNDERCLOCKED my GPU, the stress test ran fine.

Games also running fine when gpu underclocked but crashes on stock clocks.

Does that mean my PSU is getting bad :( 


First off your equipment is at End of Life. The 250 was released in 2009 (that makes it in a couple months 5 years old) and I wont' even bother talking about the Core2Duo. Further your trying to still run on 4GB only of DDR2 RAM, realllllllyyyy out of date, and your expecting W8.1 to perform like this system did when you first got it so many years ago? BAD CHOICE.

Your system is telling you (by the undervolting) the equipment is near end of life and your trying to push the newest standards on it is causing it to fail. Any changes to this system would NOT BE COST EFFECTIVE, when a new desktop computer (or better yet a laptop) with a latest Gen i5 Core, 6-8GB of DDR3 RAM, Windows 8.1 preinstalled, 500GB-1TB drive and normally packages with a new screen, mouse and keyboard all for a mere $399 at walmart. All you would need to do is swap your PSU to the 'new system' and add a cheap gaming card, and your performance - costs would be much better off then trying to 'salvage' a system you can't even get parts for anymore.


I know that my system is old, but i was not having any problems running windows 8. The problem occurred since last week.

I live in India and here PC equipment are not cheap. A system (like you mentioned), would cost around 40,000 to 50,000 rupees equivalent to 600-800 dollars.

I have planned to buy a new PC next year. But, till then i thought it would be great if i could solve this issue.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
November 11, 2013 10:59:52 PM

Well that is a problem because the parts to replace would be costing you about 500-600usd anyway IF you could find them that would be compatible with that legacy hardware. That is the issue, your pushing legacy stuff to do new things, and your hardware been used all this time is now needing to be replaced (i.e. it is failing). Which COST WISE, you waste more money patching it then just replacing it (patch it cost you 1000USD to get all the parts, test, see if ti works, replace more parts, etc)
m
0
l
November 18, 2013 10:59:15 PM

well my pc is also getting same problem.... screen blinks then shows display driver stopped 331.65 and recovered safely....some time its shows kernel driver stopped
my system configurations
i5 3330
4gb ddr3
500gb hd
graphics card nvidia gt 640 2gd3
windows 8.1 32bit
and my pc is just 4 month old....but cant find out the error plz help
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
November 19, 2013 2:31:18 AM

donacoolguy said:
well my pc is also getting same problem.... screen blinks then shows display driver stopped 331.65 and recovered safely....some time its shows kernel driver stopped
my system configurations
i5 3330
4gb ddr3
500gb hd
graphics card nvidia gt 640 2gd3
windows 8.1 32bit
and my pc is just 4 month old....but cant find out the error plz help


Your case is different as your not pushing legacy hardware past its limitation. As mentioned in this and many other Video threads

1) Does this happen in ONLY one application/game or all?
- If in only one application / game then seek the manufacturer out and see if there is a known issue, or maybe simply it isn't supported by W8.1
2) If this happen in multiple applications / games, have you tried lower setting, and lower setting and further lower setting in the app/game to see if it ceases.
- if so (and for good reason your only running a GT640) then your card + CPU can only handle that low levels.
3) I notice your running W8.1 32BIT . This is a serious problem as applications are coming out now ONLY x64, AND x32 is limited to using ONLY 3GB (no matter how much Ram you put in) which gets eaten up with Antivirus, Tray Items, etc. that there is very little left for programs to run 'natively' in the RAM without using VirtualRam (using the HDD). I would highly recommend you wipe and instead run x64 (there is no x32-x64 'upgrade' path, it requires a full wipe).

4) Lastly then if all that doesn't resolve anything I would suggest downloading Driversweeper. Then uninstall the drivers, reboot, run driversweeper and remove ALL NVIDIA software elements. Reboot. Your in VGA mode, now go to NVidia and download the latest drivers and reinstall clean. Does this help resolve it now?

NOTE: This assumes of course you done the 'basics' which is
A) Ensure ALL Windows Upates (including IE11) were installed.
B) Your running a CURRENT Antivirus and is a RELIABLE Av
C) you ran a AntiMalware scan (like Malwarebytes) and it comes up clean
D) You powered down the equipment and properly 'canned air' sprayed out all the dust bunnies and clean out anything else.
E) Ensure all other updates have been applied (Java, Adobes, your app/ games that have problems etc.).
m
0
l
November 22, 2013 4:52:48 AM

hello tom sir...first time this error came up in 2 months ago that time my windows 7 is x32. that time i thought its something like virus so i cleaned format my c drive and installed new windows 7 x64 but the error occuring same as x32 windows 7 ...and i cleaned driver with the hep of guru3d driversweaper...and installed the latest update still the same error occur. and i checked virus with help of malawarebyte...1 month ago but there was no virus...and i installed the latest bios and driver with help of intel auto detect utility. after updating also the error remains then i updates to windows 8.1 x86 1 week ago...after that the error shows randomly when ever i take anything(My computer or documents or chrome) everytime the screen blinks and showing display driver stopped or kernal driver stooped responding and recovered ..... huh now i removed gt640 GC from my computer and put my vga to onboard outlet vga port now there is no problem. plz help
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
November 22, 2013 7:40:05 AM

donacoolguy said:
hello tom sir...first time this error came up in 2 months ago that time my windows 7 is x32. that time i thought its something like virus so i cleaned format my c drive and installed new windows 7 x64 but the error occuring same as x32 windows 7 ...and i cleaned driver with the hep of guru3d driversweaper...and installed the latest update still the same error occur. and i checked virus with help of malawarebyte...1 month ago but there was no virus...and i installed the latest bios and driver with help of intel auto detect utility. after updating also the error remains then i updates to windows 8.1 x86 1 week ago...after that the error shows randomly when ever i take anything(My computer or documents or chrome) everytime the screen blinks and showing display driver stopped or kernal driver stooped responding and recovered ..... huh now i removed gt640 GC from my computer and put my vga to onboard outlet vga port now there is no problem. plz help


By removing the video card it demonstrates a issue with the video card itself. So either the card itself is defective, or your overclocking it. If your OCing it, then I would set it to lower settings or 'default' and no OCing it. If even with it set to default and it still has issues, then either it is overheating (check the temps) or the card is defective and needs to be replaced. SIMPLE.
m
0
l
February 9, 2014 10:00:43 PM

Hello guys,

I purchased a new GPU (GTX 650 Ti Boost) and everything is fine now :D 

The old GPU (GTS 250) was getting bad and i replaced it with a new GTX 650 Ti Boost.
It runs super cool and quiet. I am happy :) 

Thanks a lot to all of you to help me find out which component was the culprit.
Toms Hardware Forums rocks!!
m
0
l
April 22, 2014 11:43:29 PM

Tom Tancredi said:
AmJay said:
Hi Guys,

I have a weird problem since past week. Every time i run a game (any game), the screen goes black for few seconds and then re-appears with message - "Display driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered".

My PC configuration:
Windows 8.1 Pro
Intel Core2Duo E7500 CPU
Nvidia Geforce GTS 250 GPU

Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 650W PSU
Transcend 2 x 2GB DDR2 RAM
Gigabyte GA945GCM-S2L Motherboard

I googled this problem and have tried the following:
1. Updated my graphics card drivers.
2. Tried the registry fix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2665946
3. Downgraded to Windows 7 (by doing a clean install).

But still the problem occurs.
I am out of ideas.


AmJay said:
Anub1s said:
You could roll back to a previous version of the driver and see if that works any differently.

Could be something hardware related, card going bad, PSU going bad, etc...


Yeah i have tried older version of the driver. Same result.

Another thing i forgot to mention -
I ran Furmark GPU stress test, it also crashes with same message.
But when i UNDERCLOCKED my GPU, the stress test ran fine.

Games also running fine when gpu underclocked but crashes on stock clocks.

Does that mean my PSU is getting bad :( 


First off your equipment is at End of Life. The 250 was released in 2009 (that makes it in a couple months 5 years old) and I wont' even bother talking about the Core2Duo. Further your trying to still run on 4GB only of DDR2 RAM, realllllllyyyy out of date, and your expecting W8.1 to perform like this system did when you first got it so many years ago? BAD CHOICE.

Your system is telling you (by the undervolting) the equipment is near end of life and your trying to push the newest standards on it is causing it to fail. Any changes to this system would NOT BE COST EFFECTIVE, when a new desktop computer (or better yet a laptop) with a latest Gen i5 Core, 6-8GB of DDR3 RAM, Windows 8.1 preinstalled, 500GB-1TB drive and normally packages with a new screen, mouse and keyboard all for a mere $399 at walmart. All you would need to do is swap your PSU to the 'new system' and add a cheap gaming card, and your performance - costs would be much better off then trying to 'salvage' a system you can't even get parts for anymore.


Your wrong about that. I have 16g ram ddr3, g3220 intel, evga supernova 1200g2, and MSI 7950 twin fr III and my windows 8.1 has been doin the same thing ever since i updated the windows. Now even manually going back to older drivers that used to work it does the same thing...like some bug spread all over. fustrating and why I found this thread.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
April 23, 2014 12:02:54 PM

much_hustle said:

I have a weird problem since past week. Every time i run a game (any game), the screen goes black for few seconds and then re-appears with message - "Display driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered".

My PC configuration:
Windows 8.1 Pro
Intel Core2Duo E7500 CPU
Nvidia Geforce GTS 250 GPU

Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 650W PSU
Transcend 2 x 2GB DDR2 RAM
Gigabyte GA945GCM-S2L Motherboard

... But when i UNDERCLOCKED my GPU, the stress test ran fine.
Games also running fine when gpu underclocked but crashes on stock clocks.
Does that mean my PSU is getting bad :....

First off your equipment is at End of Life. The 250 was released in 2009 (that makes it in a couple months 5 years old) and I wont' even bother talking about the Core2Duo. Further your trying to still run on 4GB only of DDR2 RAM, realllllllyyyy out of date, and your expecting W8.1 to perform like this system did when you first got it so many years ago? BAD CHOICE.
...

Your wrong about that. I have 16g ram ddr3, g3220 intel, evga supernova 1200g2, and MSI 7950 twin fr III and my windows 8.1 has been doin the same thing ever since i updated the windows. Now even manually going back to older drivers that used to work it does the same thing...like some bug spread all over. fustrating and why I found this thread.


@much_hustle: TOTALLY DIFFERENT HARDWARE!!! The OP has a ancient legacy system that is well over 5 years old, your is a brand new Haswell based Core, with DDR3 and a 7590 card! Just because you both run Windows 8.1 doesn't make that the specific reason, just as much as if he hauled out a Pentium II PC with 1GB DDR1 RAM and had the 'same issues' becuase he tossed 8.1 on, the machine is ancient and DO DETERIORATE over time and use. Check your WARRANTY on any of your components, they all guarantee ONLY 2-3 years from time of purchase the "lifespan" of current PC equipment (Based on 40 hour work week constant usage).

Your issues can be totally different (malware, virus, didnt' properly uninstall and reinstall drivers, BIOS needs to be updated, etc.). PLEASE make your OWN thread and not trample over someone else's.
m
0
l
May 27, 2014 2:07:54 PM

Hey i got the same problem i even created the TdrDelay file and my computer just chrashed instead of getting the error. I found that it was a malware. I downloaded a free malware remover and it worked. and if that dosent fix the problem try creating the TdrDelay file you can find a vedio on youtube for it. but as far as i know its a malware and people are mistaking by thinking its a driver problem,
m
0
l
!