Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Alienware X51 upgrade help

Last response: in Systems
Share
November 11, 2013 9:08:30 PM

I have one of the early models of the x51 from about a year ago. Cheapest option too, so i3 processor and gtx 640. I want to upgrade my GPU and the more I'm reading into it, the harder it seems with the PSU and case size of the X51. Is it worth it to move components to another case and get a new PSU? Or is there a way to solve this without a new case. I would like to get the gtx 760 GPU. Does this mean i will have to get a new motherboard and CPU? Never upgraded a computer or built one so sorry if these have obvious answers.

More about : alienware x51 upgrade

November 11, 2013 9:16:10 PM

is that a 300w external psu? if so, the 760s minimum recommended system power is 500w...
m
0
l
November 11, 2013 9:20:22 PM

The PSU wattage is probably what keep you down the most i would assume you only have the 240W brick. So if it really comes with only 240W brick, that is the part that will prevent you from using a fast GPU in it, sizewise you could probably get at least the mini gtx670 in there.
m
0
l
Related resources
November 12, 2013 4:15:50 AM

5tormy said:
is that a 300w external psu? if so, the 760s minimum recommended system power is 500w...

It's a 240W
m
0
l
November 12, 2013 4:19:00 AM

rvilkman said:
The PSU wattage is probably what keep you down the most i would assume you only have the 240W brick. So if it really comes with only 240W brick, that is the part that will prevent you from using a fast GPU in it, sizewise you could probably get at least the mini gtx670 in there.


So would you recommend I move everything over to a new case and get a new PSU so I can have more upgrades?
m
0
l
November 12, 2013 5:53:39 AM

I've done more research and for my budget, i will keep my case. I still would like to upgrade both my GPU and CPU now hopefully to a 3rd of 4th gen i5 and to the GTX 670. Wondering if this GPU will work in my X51 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CWIOIKG/?tag=googhydr-20&hv....

And if someone can link me to an i5 that will work in my pc, that would be most appreciated.
m
0
l

Best solution

November 12, 2013 4:43:33 PM

Almostfamous54 said:
5tormy said:
is that a 300w external psu? if so, the 760s minimum recommended system power is 500w...

It's a 240W


Wow, Alienware must be very cheap..
Try getting a new PSU and the GPU should work decently
Share
!