Fx 8350 on new motherboard

cabana

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2013
Hey guys! Just got my Fx8350 today. I was wondering if I can unplug my old AMD Phenom 2 from the MOBO and slide in the new FX without anything else. Is there any other adjustment i need to do?
Mobo is Asus Sabertooth R2

Solution
Yep, that will work fine.

If you are using the same heatsink / fan that you have on the current processor, you will need to get new thermal interface material, and apply it. Or if you are using a new cooler that comes with the CPU, it is already pre-applied.
Yep, that will work fine.

If you are using the same heatsink / fan that you have on the current processor, you will need to get new thermal interface material, and apply it. Or if you are using a new cooler that comes with the CPU, it is already pre-applied.

Solution

Jake Wenta

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013

As long as you have an AM3+ motherboard, you should be fine. If you overclocked, make sure to reset to default in BIOS.

cabana

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2013

Yes sir that is the correct MOBO!

cabana

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2013

It is an AM3 Mobo, and its not OC. It is the Default Extra Performance Asus offers with their Mobo. But no manual interference.

cabana

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2013

I am debaiting on that . I use a Aftermarket cooler for my current setup. I am wondering if to choose from the stock one that came with the new CPU or use the Aftermarket one...
The one I got running now is a Zalman

cabana

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2013

The zalman one i run now is pretty loud at it's default settings. I probably won't do any OC, I am not very familiar with that field yet. Have to look into more tutorials before I open the OC chapter. Thank you for the help and guidance.

Jake Wenta

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013

Yea that's very hot. Make sure you didn't apply to much thermal paste-and it is mounted properly. (Don't re use thermal paste)

I'd say 40*C max for Idle (I run 33*C idle at 4.7 on a 8120-but I use a Kraken x60)
Before on stock, I ran 38*C on stock with stock cooling.

I feel like 46C-on load you'd probably hit 80's, and the safe temp is 62*C (But people run it at 70*C)

cabana

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2013
I use 2 different programs and both state 2 different temps. Don't know which one to believe. 28 degrees on AMD overdrive and 39-40 on Asus Ai Suite 2, the software from Asus came with the Sabertooth MOBO

Jake Wenta

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013

Thermal Radar in AS Suite 2 reads the socket temperature, which is the one you should be worrying about.
I wouldn't use overdrive if I were you, if you overclock, just use the BIOS...trust me. And I personally would uninstall overdrive.

As for software I use OpenhardwareMonitor and Thermal Radar. And CPU-Z.

For GPU I use GPU-Z and MSi Afterburner for monitoring.

cabana

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2013
Yes, it is not constant, it varies, but my actions or the performance of the CPU or GPU does not influence it ... First i thought it was the HDD because its old its a sata with 300g/s

Jake Wenta

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013

It might be the CPU fan, if it started with the new heatsink fan, then it is a possibility. But you can try by unplugging a component one at a time and going into BIOS to see if the sound was eliminated. If you unplug the CPU or GPU fan headers, I don't really recommend it-but if you do, make sure to turn off the PC ASAP. But I highly advise not to. sometimes the AMD heatsinks have a high pitch noise at lower RPMs though, so going to ~1500+ should eliminate it. Not sure how the 8350 is, but my stock 8120 was 6000 RPM, and at <1200 it had a similar issue. Wasn't really a high pitch noise as much as an annoying hum. (At it got LOUD at 6000RPM :lol:)

But you can have a different problem.

But regardless, I advise switching out the stock heatsink.
A good choice would be the CM 212 EVO for 30 dollars, quiet, cheap and very efficient.

cabana

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2013
Was thinking about getting the Corsair H100i cooler for it. And a Carbide 500R series. I am running the Zalman now, I had to drop the stock cooler it was VERY noisy. I will play with the RPMs of the fans. Thanks for the advice, I meant it , thanks alot.