Should I get a second 670 for SLI or get a 780 Ti?

stroebsp37

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
I recently upgraded my monitor from 1080p to 2560x1440. This means that my single 670 likely won't cut it anymore on ultimate level settings in games. I have narrowed the upgrade down to two choices:

• ■ Buy another 670 and put it in SLI with the one I already have
    ■ Buy a single 780 Ti and sell/repurpose the 670 (maybe to put into a powerful living room PC)

There is obviously a significant cost difference between these two options. I'd basically like your opinions on how each will perform so that I can make the cost/performance calculation that works best for me.

What do you guys think?

Solution
both options would work as inzone said. however given that you're thinking about this in the context of a monitor resolution update, I would go for the 780 TI option instead, for the simple fact that it has 3GB of memory instead of 2GB. Thus, even if you choose to SLI later, the 3GB of dedicated memory is more suitable for your quad-HD monitor than 2GB.

on that note, the R9 290X from AMD is a good choice as well for the extra memory, should you want to jump on 4K later down the road.
Both options would work however the first option would be the least future proof and you could be at the limit of what you could do beyond that. A single 780Ti would give you the best option since selling the 670 would cut the total overall cost of the 780Ti.

both options would work as inzone said. however given that you're thinking about this in the context of a monitor resolution update, I would go for the 780 TI option instead, for the simple fact that it has 3GB of memory instead of 2GB. Thus, even if you choose to SLI later, the 3GB of dedicated memory is more suitable for your quad-HD monitor than 2GB.

on that note, the R9 290X from AMD is a good choice as well for the extra memory, should you want to jump on 4K later down the road.

Solution
Sell the 670, and get the R9 290 when the third party manufacturers start making their cooling solutions. Both the 290 and 290x beat the 780 and titan @ 1440p (I think the 780ti still beat every one) but the 290 is only $400. Seems like the smartest choice in my point of view.

enemy1g

Honorable
Assuming that a 670 is equivalent to a 760, then you might not get the performance you're looking for in SLI. A friend recently bought two 760s and gets about 60-90 fps in BF4 on ultra. So upping the resolution would definitely drop you to below playing standards. I would go with the 780 Ti.

stroebsp37

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
Thanks so much for the input. You guys have been very helpful.

I understand that the R9 290 or R9 290X might be solid for the price. However, I have worries about the consistency and noise issues with the reference AMD cards. I know that third-party coolers will likely be better, but also probably more expensive. Over time, I have just come to trust NVIDA, and I will likely stay with them here.

chalk up another reason why so many should have bought 4gb 670/680's. if you have a 4gb keplar card... sli that mofo. two 670's will just barely fully max out crysis 3 @ 1440p and hold over 40fps, but you will have to lower the antialiasing because you will run out of vram if running 2gb and your fps will fall through the floor... if you have 3 or 4gb vram then your good to go.

I'd recommend waiting a few weeks until the independent coolers are available for the R9 290 and get two of those, 512 bit interface to 4GB RAM. Overclocked they would be about as fast as a GTX 780, but two R9 290's in CF will rule your 27 inch 2560X1440 monitor. And be far faster than a GTX 780TI.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/radeon_r9_290_crossfire_review_benchmarks,1.html

Here's a review, the GTX 780TI is just a bit faster than the Titan, note how two R9 290's smoke the Titan. The only problem with the R9 290's is they run loud. With the new custom coolers coming, they will be unstoppable. And $400 each? Wow.

Note, you can change your best solution vote, hint, hint ;)

I wouldn't think that they would be any more expensive, at least from my experience with graphics cards the third party options have always been the same price as reference. I use to own all nvidia before I got my 7970 and it's an amazing card. So far I have never had a single issue with drivers. I know some people have more money than others so if dropping the money on a 780ti is not really an issue for you go for it, but when AMD keeps releasing cards at the price to performance ratio that they have right now it's hard to ignore them.

Sometimes you just have to take the leap and go for another brand.

stroebsp37

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012

Thanks! I think I will wait for the reviews of the third party coolers. It will be interesting if they can fix the problems that AMD has in the reference cards. My biggest fear is that the R9 290 is so inexpensive because AMD cheaped out on the reference cooler. Third party coolers may force the prices higher.

+1

That's for sure, we do have to wait until the reviews are in. But I suspect they will be very good.