Solved

USB 3.0 Ports Not Working

My new PC comes with USB 3.0. The USB 3.0 cable is connected to the motherboard and I have installed the USB 3.0 drivers from the disc that came with the motherboard. When I plug in a USB device (e.g. flash drive), the light lights up but the computer doesn't pick up the device. The device isn't USB 3.0.
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about usb ports working
  1. Do the back USB 3.0 ports work? The rear ports and the header on the motherboard will use the same controller.

    Can you go to Device Manager and see if you have any errors with the driver for the USB 3.0 ports.



    This is how your USB ports should, if the driver is incorrect, it will look like the image below.



    If that is the case, then go to the motherboard manufacturer's website and look up the latest drivers for your motherboard.
  2. Hi,

    be sure that it's plugged in the proper port (see owner manual)
    Also check in bios to see if it's enable.
  3. My Universal Serial Bus controllers appear fine according to Device Manager - however, the Other Devices have issues, I don't know if they affect USB 3.0? Below is a link to a screenshot:

    http://gyazo.com/7a84f1fed678e43c04fe54130faec56b

    Also, I believe USB 3.0 is enabled in my BIOS settings, I'll have to double check the next I reboot, but I vaguely remember it saying it was Enabled.
  4. Best answer
    Never mind, guys, I found out that the xHCI Root Hub 0 controls the USB 3.0 and I found the drivers thanks to some hard grafting. Gigabyte are really poor with their distribution of drivers!
  5. Did you sort out your Ethernet driver as well?

    Out of curiosity, do you use wireless or a network cable?
  6. Yeah, I did... through some hard grafting again. Both drivers were not listed on the motherboard's driver download page. It was hidden within Gigabyte's web servers - or at least I think it was, that's the only way I found them.

    And I use wireless.
  7. That is really bad on Gigabytes behalf, I personally have never had a problem finding drivers off their website.

    Glad it is sorted.
  8. RoyalSwish said:
    My new PC comes with USB 3.0. The USB 3.0 cable is connected to the motherboard and I have installed the USB 3.0 drivers from the disc that came with the motherboard. When I plug in a USB device (e.g. flash drive), the light lights up but the computer doesn't pick up the device. The device isn't USB 3.0.


    Try downloading and installing the drivers directly from the manufacture's web site. Cuz i just tried that and it worked, even tho i installed all the drivers that were on the CD it came with and apparently it didnt include the USB 3.0 drivers. Else I dont know why it didnt work until i did that. And THAT made me break my 16GB flashdrive. I was plugging it is from the back and o could not see very well, they were all unused = very tight so i thought it was normal and i forced it in and boom, the pastic thing with pins inside went into the flashdrive, they were pushed inside not i think its totally repairable and im going to return it today. IDK what to say cuz if I say I forced it in they will not replace it >.>
  9. RoyalSwish said:
    My new PC comes with USB 3.0. The USB 3.0 cable is connected to the motherboard and I have installed the USB 3.0 drivers from the disc that came with the motherboard. When I plug in a USB device (e.g. flash drive), the light lights up but the computer doesn't pick up the device. The device isn't USB 3.0.


    I know you sorted out the problem, but my solution was different, and would gladly add to this thread encase anyone else has this issue. Below is my explanation.

    Greetings,

    I know this is an old post, but I found the solution to why the USB 3.0 ports stopped working because I had the same problem which began last month.

    I do not know if this is the same issue, but this may help everyone better approach this problem. I plan on posting this on numerous forums.

    First, go to Device Manager, and find your USB port that shows the problem. Scroll down to your Universal Serial Bus Controllers and select the USB ports that are having the issue. For example, if there is an error windows detects with the USB port there will be a yellow exclamation sign. Right click and select properties and click on the events tab.

    Once there, take a look at the history and look for the first error event occurred with the device (for example, mine occurred on 12/08/15).

    Now that you have a date of the first time the trouble occurred go to windows update. (search for windows update, or go to Control Panel, then programs, then view installed updates)

    Once you have a history of installed updates look for the date that the first error occurred, or around a similar time.

    My error occurred on 12/08/15 and I found a security update from Microsoft on the same day. I uninstalled the update by right clicking and selecting uninstall. I had to do this to multiple updates before I found the one that fixed the error.

    So, go step by step until the USB port works.

    Finally, please understand that if this doesn't fix your issue, chances are something else is causing the problem. The reason why I thought it was a software issue instead of a hardware issue is because my USB ports still powered my devices, and the drives I connected to them seemed to respond (just not detected by windows). Obviously your first attempt at fixing this issue should always be uninstalling your current driver, and then reinstalling it from whichever source supplies your driver (ie mine was from ProStar) and yours might be HP, Asus, etc.

    I found this issue very frustrating and it took me much longer than it should have to figure this out and I decided to post my solution here.

    Thanks, and have a nice day!
  10. Thank you for this. I believe this may help me a lot. My USB ports all stopped working after an update. However, I am unable to figure out how to Uninstall a windows update. I do not see the option on the screen. The screen Says to click Uninstall or change, but when I right click I do not get these options. Please help.
  11. Lyndalew said:
    Thank you for this. I believe this may help me a lot. My USB ports all stopped working after an update. However, I am unable to figure out how to Uninstall a windows update. I do not see the option on the screen. The screen Says to click Uninstall or change, but when I right click I do not get these options. Please help.

    i have same problem ...f2a68hm=s1
    i think its have to do something with bios
  12. Have had the problem with my MSI mobo and external hard drive after a fresh install of Windows 7 pro. All updates applied in both windows and ALL drivers but still no joy. All very frustrating but after a lot of googling and trying different ideas from others with similar issues I have finally solved it for my problem i knowing how much other ideas have assisted me (especially with the dreaded never ending 'searching for windows update' and never finding any issue!) I thought this might help someone........and it was sooooooooooo simple! I went into the bios (hit delete on start up), found the usb line in the bios settings menu which showed 'enabled', I then disabled it , then enabled it again. saved and escaped bios and when computer continued with start up a usb 3 driver root hub detected message came up at bottom right of display. Plugged my drive in and hey presto! one happy man!! It may not be the solution for everyone but might just help you and save a lot of bother going crazy trying to find a driver when it isn't even the problem. Good luck!
  13. space65 said:
    Have had the problem with my MSI mobo and external hard drive after a fresh install of Windows 7 pro. All updates applied in both windows and ALL drivers but still no joy. All very frustrating but after a lot of googling and trying different ideas from others with similar issues I have finally solved it for my problem i knowing how much other ideas have assisted me (especially with the dreaded never ending 'searching for windows update' and never finding any issue!) I thought this might help someone........and it was sooooooooooo simple! I went into the bios (hit delete on start up), found the usb line in the bios settings menu which showed 'enabled', I then disabled it , then enabled it again. saved and escaped bios and when computer continued with start up a usb 3 driver root hub detected message came up at bottom right of display. Plugged my drive in and hey presto! one happy man!! It may not be the solution for everyone but might just help you and save a lot of bother going crazy trying to find a driver when it isn't even the problem. Good luck!
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Devices USB3