Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

[First] PC Build Suggestions!

Last response: in Components
Share
November 13, 2013 6:13:00 AM

Hello everyone and first I would like to thank you for taking the time to read this and help me. (first Time writing on the forum :)  )
So Basically I need help/ suggestions to what will get me greater performance and less cost.
My budget is like 2000$ however my max is 2500$.
What build I was deciding about:
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K $340
Motherboard: ASUS Z87-Deluxe $280
Memory: 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 1600MHz (2x8GB) $170
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB /w ACX Cooler $660
Case: NZXT Phantom 630 140$
Boot Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD $225
Storage Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 3TB HDD $222
Optical Drive: OEM DVD Drive or OEM Blu Ray Drive $22
PSU: Corsair Professional Series AX850 $197
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i $100
OS: Windows 7 64-bit
Total ~$2460(Now that was when the 780 was 700$)
Facts
• I live in Texas
• I am going to be using this computer for Gaming, Video editing (gameplay and stuff) Recording, some Maya and cinema 4d
• I already have a Naga Mouse and Black widow
• Any good 24”+ monitor please suggest!
• Planning on adding another GPU later
• Upgrading from a y510p by Lenovo (dual 750m)
• Going to be running dual screen (soon after the build)
* Going to be overclocking cpu (maybe GPU)
Questions:
1. So would it be worth the money to upgrade to a 780ti?
2. Is the processor good enough for my use?
3. What else could I do to improve this build/make it cheaper?
4. Any part not compatible?
5. Any other suggestions please.
6 I would also like it to be a little color coordinated (green because of razer)

Well thanks for reading this and taking your time answering my questions!!!
~Shak

EDIT: I will also step down to a 2TB hdd and maybe 120GB ssd (suggestions Please)
EDIT: I also want the rig to last atleast 4 years before upgrade

More about : build suggestions

a b 4 Gaming
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
November 13, 2013 6:20:09 AM

Get a GTX 780 ti. It's the best GPU in the world now, according to Nvidia, and is only ~$10 more than the 780 you are looking at. Also, get the NZXT Kraken X60 water cooler, because it cools a bit better. The CPU is fine, but if you can afford the new i7-4960K get it.
m
0
l
November 13, 2013 8:50:24 AM

Jacob McIntosh said:
Get a GTX 780 ti. It's the best GPU in the world now, according to Nvidia, and is only ~$10 more than the 780 you are looking at. Also, get the NZXT Kraken X60 water cooler, because it cools a bit better. The CPU is fine, but if you can afford the new i7-4960K get it.

Does the x60 have same installation? Plus side of 4960k?

m
0
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
November 13, 2013 10:43:06 AM

There are benefits to getting the 4930K (not the 4960, that's the extreme edition, and cost $1000), listed here, and it is more future proof. As for the X60, it is a premade water cooling loop, so all you have to do is put it in your case. Not all NZXT cases support the middle screw mounts, but it is very easy to drill a few holes, and even NZXT reps recommend that.
m
0
l
November 13, 2013 11:48:51 AM

Jacob McIntosh said:
There are benefits to getting the 4930K (not the 4960, that's the extreme edition, and cost $1000), listed here, and it is more future proof. As for the X60, it is a premade water cooling loop, so all you have to do is put it in your case. Not all NZXT cases support the middle screw mounts, but it is very easy to drill a few holes, and even NZXT reps recommend that.
i see what you mean that x60 will keep it cooler but i dont really want to go through the trouble of drilling holes unless the x60 is compatabile with phantom 630.


m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
November 13, 2013 12:22:38 PM

I don't see the case you have on this list, so if you don't want to drill, look at the Corsair H100(i). I'm not completly sure on the holes Corsair needs for screws, but the H100 is about the same price, give or take $5, and is only a tiny bit worse than the X60.
m
0
l
November 13, 2013 3:08:31 PM

Jacob McIntosh said:
I don't see the case you have on this list, so if you don't want to drill, look at the Corsair H100(i). I'm not completly sure on the holes Corsair needs for screws, but the H100 is about the same price, give or take $5, and is only a tiny bit worse than the X60.

Ok so h100i it is but i am still not sold on the 4930k you have the 4770k what made you decide on that?

m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
November 13, 2013 4:45:59 PM

Funny you mention that, but the build you I've got listed is my future build, right now I have absolute crap ( Pentium 930D, GeForce GT 7300LE, stock HP mobo, the only good thing is the sound card, and even that's getting old now), but I an going to get that because I'm in a budget of $1000.
m
0
l
November 14, 2013 5:59:16 AM

Jacob McIntosh said:
Funny you mention that, but the build you I've got listed is my future build, right now I have absolute crap ( Pentium 930D, GeForce GT 7300LE, stock HP mobo, the only good thing is the sound card, and even that's getting old now), but I an going to get that because I'm in a budget of $1000.


OH that is cool and suggestions for color coordinated parts/ monitors???
m
0
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
November 14, 2013 9:06:00 AM

AkaShak said:

OH that is cool and suggestions for color coordinated parts/ monitors???


Iv'e got good news. One, I was doing a little more research on the case you've got, found that the X60 IS compatible with it. The NZXT list seems a bit out of date, and I found a new list on Newegg.com, on the Phantom 630's page. You have to scrool down a bit but it's there. Second, NZXT has a line on sleeved LED kits on their page, with 5 different colors to choose from.
Share
!