Solved

GPU makes weird sound with Borderlands 2

I have a R9 280x. When I open Borderlands my video card (I assume that's what's making the sound) makes this buzz sound in ~half second intervals. Accordingly with the sound the game "moves." It's not low FPS, it...moves then stops with the buzzing sound. Is it my drivers? What can I do?
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about gpu makes weird sound borderlands
  1. Does it sound like a mechanical sound? It very well could be coil whine.
    Linus has a video on it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP73edpQwgc
  2. bigshootr8 said:
    Does it sound like a mechanical sound? It very well could be coil whine.
    Linus has a video on it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP73edpQwgc


    Nah, it's not coil whine. Here's a shitty recording: https://soundcloud.com/belt_bucket_tcb/bzzbzzbzzbzzbzz

    You can hear some coil whine at the beginning but stops.
  3. Yea that's coil whine as you do things within games and the sound follow that sound. Kind of like what happens in the linus video. It's more then likely the power delivery to the card. Not much you can do and if you wanted to try a new card if you had just purchased the one you have return it saying it doesn't work and then ask for a replacement to give it another try.
  4. bigshootr8 said:
    Yea that's coil whine as you do things within games and the sound follow that sound. Kind of like what happens in the linus video. It's more then likely the power delivery to the card. Not much you can do and if you wanted to try a new card if you had just purchased the one you have return it saying it doesn't work and then ask for a replacement to give it another try.


    I don't know. Other games are working fine, including Arkham City, which is also optimized for nvidia. Is there some way I could validate that that is the problem? It hasn't made sounds in intervals like that before.
  5. hmm, maybe its just that particular application that causes it to act out that violently. What you could do is take off your side panel and really get up close like they did in the linus video and see if its something that is more subtle in other games.
  6. bigshootr8 said:
    hmm, maybe its just that particular application that causes it to act out that violently. What you could do is take off your side panel and really get up close like they did in the linus video and see if its something that is more subtle in other games.


    I don't see anything out of place inside. Power cables are plugged in fine. It's sitting all the way in the PCI-E slot. It's temperature is at around 50c after walking around in the game a bit (with the skipping).
  7. I didn't mean what you see but what you hear
  8. Well, actually yes. Running Batman the same sound was there, but not as harshly, I think. It was continuous and not starting and stopping in intervals. It's doing it in Dirt 3 as well. Is this all pointing to a problem with my card?
  9. Best answer
    Well coil whine wont kill the card but it can be a bit of an annoyance. If you have just purchased the card I would see if you can return it and then get a new card and maybe that card wont have it.
  10. bigshootr8 said:
    Well coil whine wont kill the card but it can be a bit of an annoyance. If you have just purchased the card I would see if you can return it and then get a new card and maybe that card wont have it.


    I've found the issue. Get this: it was because I was using USB tethering on my phone for WiFi. That is completely crazy to me. Here's the thread that told me this. Hope this helps if anyone else finds this.
  11. Hmm that is interesting. Well I guess that could cause interference but may not be the case all the time.
Ask a new question

Read More

Video Games