Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

How long does a graphics card last?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 13, 2013 6:37:07 PM

Hello so I am buying a radeon 7870 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ) and I am wondering what is the average life span of a graphics card without overclocking. I play about 2 - 8 hours each day. Thanks

More about : long graphics card

a c 487 U Graphics card
November 13, 2013 6:41:58 PM

They'd last you quite a few years, it would be very outdated by the time it would start showing problems

A 7870 with a nice cooler like that will last you a very long while, you'd probably upgrade in 2-3 years anyway
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 13, 2013 6:43:51 PM

I have some card that are almost 10yrs old that still work as good as the day i bought them, useless now as they can't run anything new but still work well
m
0
l
Related resources
November 13, 2013 6:50:51 PM

Yeah, they will last several years. I still have an HD 5870 in one of my computers and it stays on 24/7 and overclocked 24/7. No issues at all. Once every 6 months or so, it's good to vacuum the dust out of it so it stays running as cool as possible, but that's about it.

Some friends of mine are still using some even older ATI 4000 series and Nvidia 8000 series GPUs. The worst that's ever happened is the fan died. $5-$10 for a replacement and it's like new again.
m
0
l

Best solution

November 13, 2013 6:53:14 PM

If you want to know how long it will run, it can run for a very long time. Right now I have a very old PC with a 6 year old Graphics card and it still runs fine. But because of it's age it can't run almost any game of today.

That being said the better graphics card you have the longer you will actually be able to use it. Getting a high end graphics card will last you about 4-5 years as long as you use it right (OC Correctly etc.) Yours I would give maybe that long if your okay with playing on the lowest graphic settings. If you want it to last longer it's not all about the build, it's about the quality of your GPU.

Keep in mind though that some games (Such as BF4) work your CPU just as hard as your GPU and that might come with future games. So your GPU is not the only thing you will need to upgrade.
Share
November 13, 2013 7:03:21 PM

RJ_gamingBoss said:
If you want to know how long it will run, it can run for a very long time. Right now I have a very old PC with a 6 year old Graphics card and it still runs fine. But because of it's age it can't run almost any game of today.

That being said the better graphics card you have the longer you will actually be able to use it. Getting a high end graphics card will last you about 4-5 years as long as you use it right (OC Correctly etc.) Yours I would give maybe that long if your okay with playing on the lowest graphic settings. If you want it to last longer it's not all about the build, it's about the quality of your GPU.

Keep in mind though that some games (Such as BF4) work your CPU just as hard as your GPU and that might come with future games. So your GPU is not the only thing you will need to upgrade.

Thanks. After about 2 or so years I will upgrade. My CPU is not very futureproof its a A10 5800K so I will upgrade that when I upgrade my graphics.
m
0
l
November 13, 2013 7:45:37 PM

fruitcakehater said:
RJ_gamingBoss said:
If you want to know how long it will run, it can run for a very long time. Right now I have a very old PC with a 6 year old Graphics card and it still runs fine. But because of it's age it can't run almost any game of today.

That being said the better graphics card you have the longer you will actually be able to use it. Getting a high end graphics card will last you about 4-5 years as long as you use it right (OC Correctly etc.) Yours I would give maybe that long if your okay with playing on the lowest graphic settings. If you want it to last longer it's not all about the build, it's about the quality of your GPU.

Keep in mind though that some games (Such as BF4) work your CPU just as hard as your GPU and that might come with future games. So your GPU is not the only thing you will need to upgrade.

Thanks. After about 2 or so years I will upgrade. My CPU is not very futureproof its a A10 5800K so I will upgrade that when I upgrade my graphics.

Okay, sounds good. just remember when you upgrade you CPU you will need to change your MB because of socket compatibilities. I recommend AMD's FX series but they may have something better in the future.
m
0
l
November 13, 2013 7:59:15 PM

RJ_gamingBoss said:
fruitcakehater said:
RJ_gamingBoss said:
If you want to know how long it will run, it can run for a very long time. Right now I have a very old PC with a 6 year old Graphics card and it still runs fine. But because of it's age it can't run almost any game of today.

That being said the better graphics card you have the longer you will actually be able to use it. Getting a high end graphics card will last you about 4-5 years as long as you use it right (OC Correctly etc.) Yours I would give maybe that long if your okay with playing on the lowest graphic settings. If you want it to last longer it's not all about the build, it's about the quality of your GPU.

Keep in mind though that some games (Such as BF4) work your CPU just as hard as your GPU and that might come with future games. So your GPU is not the only thing you will need to upgrade.

Thanks. After about 2 or so years I will upgrade. My CPU is not very futureproof its a A10 5800K so I will upgrade that when I upgrade my graphics.

Okay, sounds good. just remember when you upgrade you CPU you will need to change your MB because of socket compatibilities. I recommend AMD's FX series but they may have something better in the future.

thanks for the advice
m
0
l
!