Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

2x2gb 760sli / 4gb gtx770 / 3gb gtx780 for planned setup

Tags:
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 14, 2013 4:59:43 AM

Apologies if these are commonly compared cards, I have been googling threads for the past 2 days and can't really find a good comparison of all 3 - whenever I pair threads up, the results seem disparate :-/ I am also pretty new to PC gaming so apologies if this is a stupid question, I just want to get the best "bang per buck" as they say.

I am currently looking to buy a system for gaming - decided that I am done with consoles now after my xbox360 finally keeled over and died.

I have 3 possible options for near-identical systems and was hoping someone could give me an overall answer on which of the following 3 options I should go for:

2x2gb 760sli
4gb gtx770
3gb 780

The rest of the setups will look like this:
i7-4771 cpu
16gb (2x8gb) ram
240gb ssd (120gb ssd for 780 GPU option) + 3tb non-ssd
Liquid cooling
Seasonic SS-1000xp power supply

If it helps, I tend to play a lot of FPS/action style games... and I will be playing on a 32" TV (has 100hz gaming option) through HDMI, not a specialised monitor, since it will be replacing my xbox.


*EDIT* The sales tax increases here in Japan next spring, I can wait a few months if that is likely to shift prices at all, but would rather purchase a system now than wait to end up paying more.
November 14, 2013 5:18:18 AM

I would go with the 780.

It will have lower FPS numbers than the SLI 760's, but probably provide a smoother "feel" because it's a single card. (I just switched from 560's in SLI to a single 780 and noticed that my 780 feels better at 50-ish FPS in crysis 3 maxed out, than my sli setup felt on the same game, at only "high" settings, with the same frame rates.)

The 780 can also make better use of its vram than the 4gb 770 thanks to its stronger memory bandwidth.
m
0
l
November 14, 2013 5:50:55 AM

Z1NONLY said:
I would go with the 780.

It will have lower FPS numbers than the SLI 760's, but probably provide a smoother "feel" because it's a single card. (I just switched from 560's in SLI to a single 780 and noticed that my 780 feels better at 50-ish FPS in crysis 3 maxed out, than my sli setup felt on the same game, at only "high" settings, with the same frame rates.)

The 780 can also make better use of its vram than the 4gb 770 thanks to its stronger memory bandwidth.


Thanks for the quick reply. Would it be worth waiting a month (pay day) and stretching to a 780ti, or is the performance increase not worth the money?
m
0
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
November 14, 2013 6:19:34 AM

It would be better, but I'm not sure the improved performance is justified by the extra money. that would be a tough call for me.
m
0
l
November 14, 2013 5:21:44 PM

Z1NONLY said:
It would be better, but I'm not sure the improved performance is justified by the extra money. that would be a tough call for me.


Yeah, it's not a *huge* change in cost (the prices in Japan are really weird), but I would be ever so slightly over my planned budget.

Also, if I avoid sli; can I ditch the liquid cooling, or is that a good thing to keep?
m
0
l

Best solution

November 14, 2013 6:19:08 PM

Liquid cooling generally serves two functions:
A) lower noise
B) extreme cooling potential

Both the 780 and the 780ti are rather quiet cards.

Unless you plan to do some serious overclocking with a lot of extra voltage, you don't need liquid cooling regardless of SLI. (Or the lack thereof)

If you were budgeting money for liquid cooling (And don't plan extreme overclocking or really quiet computing) roll that money into your GPU budget and get a 780ti.
Share
November 14, 2013 6:54:32 PM

Z1NONLY said:

If you were budgeting money for liquid cooling (And don't plan extreme overclocking or really quiet computing) roll that money into your GPU budget and get a 780ti.


That's exactly the situation. Not really into over clocking (this will be my first gaming PC) and my 7.1 means noise won't really be an issue.

Thanks for your help, I think the 780ti is the option for me ^__^
m
0
l
!