Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Gigabyte hd7950 only gives display sometimes

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 14, 2013 8:06:24 AM

hey all,
been troling the forums for a while and finally decided to post my issue with my fairly new rig.

My computer runs great but only if i get a display. My computer gives me a display 80% of the time. The other 20% i get no display. ANd to resolve this i need to open up my comp remove my Gigabyte hd 7950 gfx card. plug hdmi directly into mobo. turn comp on. wiat for image to appear on screen then turn off. Once i reinsert the card and plug hdmi into gfx card, it boots up correctly and itll shutdown and restart correctly with no flaws maybe for 5 days. 10 if im lucky.

im running:
intel core i5-4670k @ 4.4 ghz
msi z87-g45 gaming mobo
2x8gb corsair vengance
gigabyte hd7950
240gb samsung 840 ssd
1tb hdd
830w 80+ gold psu
November 14, 2013 8:55:01 AM

It sounds like the pci-e slot may be damaged. Try the other slot, that would normally be used for a second card in a crossfire configuration. It should tell you in your manual what number the slot is.

PS: You should probably take a close look into the slot giving you issues as well. Maybe there is something in there. It would be dust most likely, if you find anything.
m
0
l
November 18, 2013 10:48:25 AM

sincreator said:
It sounds like the pci-e slot may be damaged. Try the other slot, that would normally be used for a second card in a crossfire configuration. It should tell you in your manual what number the slot is.

PS: You should probably take a close look into the slot giving you issues as well. Maybe there is something in there. It would be dust most likely, if you find anything.


did some testing on my rig today before i tried your method. booted the comp 10 times before it booted with no display. removed gfx card booted comp with no card. image displayed through motherboard. placed gfx card back in and it booted 3 times with display through gfx card. after it did not display an image i did everything again and only received another 3 boots with display through my gfx card.

after the third test i tried you method placing the card in the other pci slot (i check my owners manual to make sure it was the right slot) and i got nothing at all from that slot. i tried this twice and neither time did it work.

i plan on running some tests on my gfx card in a friends rig soon. Hoping this isolates the problem to just that part.
m
0
l
!