Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Mobile Desktop Case

Last response: in Systems
Share
November 14, 2013 8:23:26 AM

So I need to take my existing pc components out of my case and put them in a case that is suitable for travel. I will be moving it between my Air Force base during the week and my home on the weekends.

I have a HIS 7850 and a CM 650 on a GIGABYTE GA-990FXA motherboard.

The 7850 is a pretty big card, so I need a case big enough to hold that but small enough to carry back and forth in my car.

Stability is the main issue here. I want something that will hold my components safely as I move them between home and base.

More about : mobile desktop case

November 14, 2013 8:29:07 AM

When I first read this , I immediately thought of Asus's TUF series Motherboard which are " Military Grade " .

Anyway, the BitFenix Prodigy is a famous Portable Case , but the problem is , your Motherboard doesn't fit.

I don't know of any Portable ATX cases , but 1 option is too buy a smaller Motherboard.
m
0
l
November 14, 2013 8:34:32 AM

IRONBATMAN said:
When I first read this , I immediately thought of Asus's TUF series Motherboard which are " Military Grade " .

Anyway, the BitFenix Prodigy is a famous Portable Case , but the problem is , your Motherboard doesn't fit.

I don't know of any Portable ATX cases , but 1 option is too buy a smaller Motherboard.


Yeah that too was my concern. I guess it really doesn't matter how big it is. I just know I need something other than a CM HAF case to lug back and forth. I just need something sturdy as a rock so I don't need to worry about anything rattling around.
m
0
l
Related resources
November 14, 2013 8:55:54 AM

sorry ,can't help
m
0
l
November 14, 2013 9:52:37 AM

"Military grade" is just advertising and you shouldn't fall for such tricks. I carry around my antec 300 more often than I should. I wouldn't suggest it being an old case but the point is there are many cases even cheap ones that are sturdy. Most cases are steel and unless the case has a gpu support bracket, no case will be of any help. Just keep the box it was packed in and lay it on its side so the mobo would lay flat. This would stop the card from potentially bending down from hitting bumps in the road as well as a heavy air cooler from bending the mobo.
m
0
l
November 14, 2013 10:10:19 AM

k1114 said:
"Military grade" is just advertising and you shouldn't fall for such tricks. I carry around my antec 300 more often than I should. I wouldn't suggest it being an old case but the point is there are many cases even cheap ones that are sturdy. Most cases are steel and unless the case has a gpu support bracket, no case will be of any help. Just keep the box it was packed in and lay it on its side so the mobo would lay flat. This would stop the card from potentially bending down from hitting bumps in the road as well as a heavy air cooler from bending the mobo.


Yeah I assumed most of the "tough" claims are BS. I'm looking at a CM HAF XB Evo. I believe it should offer support for the gpu and lay the mobo flat. Plus it has handles. Thoughts?
m
0
l
November 14, 2013 10:12:23 AM

k1114 said:
"Military grade" is just advertising and you shouldn't fall for such tricks. I carry around my antec 300 more often than I should. I wouldn't suggest it being an old case but the point is there are many cases even cheap ones that are sturdy. Most cases are steel and unless the case has a gpu support bracket, no case will be of any help. Just keep the box it was packed in and lay it on its side so the mobo would lay flat. This would stop the card from potentially bending down from hitting bumps in the road as well as a heavy air cooler from bending the mobo.


Yeah that's just a marketing gimmick. It doesn't really mean anything. I was going to suggest the Antec ISK but a Radeon 7850 won't fit. Maybe try the Fractal Design Node 304: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
November 14, 2013 11:31:51 AM

g-unit1111 said:
k1114 said:
"Military grade" is just advertising and you shouldn't fall for such tricks. I carry around my antec 300 more often than I should. I wouldn't suggest it being an old case but the point is there are many cases even cheap ones that are sturdy. Most cases are steel and unless the case has a gpu support bracket, no case will be of any help. Just keep the box it was packed in and lay it on its side so the mobo would lay flat. This would stop the card from potentially bending down from hitting bumps in the road as well as a heavy air cooler from bending the mobo.


Yeah that's just a marketing gimmick. It doesn't really mean anything. I was going to suggest the Antec ISK but a Radeon 7850 won't fit. Maybe try the Fractal Design Node 304: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Not really wanting to buy a new mobo. Need a case that suits an ATX.
m
0
l
November 14, 2013 3:05:27 PM

r00tsradicals said:
Not really wanting to buy a new mobo. Need a case that suits an ATX.


Then I'm not sure what you are looking for exists. Maybe the Cooler Master Storm Scout, but that's not exactly a mobile case as it's huge and heavy.
m
0
l
November 14, 2013 5:24:30 PM

I meant when transporting it to lay it on it's side. You can get a normal mid tower.
m
0
l
!