Closed

How to Install Windows 8.1 on a new PC with no OS...help please!

Hi guys,

I know this has probably been asked a thousand times, but despite reading loads of posts I still can't get my head around this.

I am using a laptop now on Windows 7. I am a student, so can get Windows 8.1 for £50 (I think). What I'd like to do is put a new copy of 8.1 on the PC I'm building at the moment. I believe I need to create a USB Boot Disk for this, but I'm not sure where to get the file from or how to make the USB Disk into a Boot Device.

If I download 8.1 on this laptop, will it be locked to this machine? If not, what steps do I need to take to buy/download/create the boost disk?

Sorry for the silly questions, hope someone can help!
12 answers Last reply
More about install windows
  1. If you download Windows 8 from Microsoft, you are downloading it ready for installation. You will be better off buying a DVD and installing off here.
  2. Ah okay. So I need to actually find and buy a DVD? Guess I won't be installing it this weekend, then. Surely there must be a way to download Windows but keep it for use on another PC? I'd hoped to keep Windows 7 on this and get 8.1 on the new PC. Seems simple but I can't seem to find the solution!
  3. Hmm, just looked at Microsoft Store. It seems one can buy a download for Windows 8.1, for $120
    http://www.microsoftstore.com/store?Action=DisplayPage&Env=BASE&Locale=en_US&SiteID=msusa&id=ThreePgCheckoutShoppingCartPage
  4. Okay, I found this: http://betanews.com/2013/11/06/how-to-create-a-bootable-windows-8-1-usb-drive/#1

    Which looks like it might just work. Only thing is, how do I get the Product Key needed for the ISO download? I can buy 8.1 now, but will they give me the product key itself or does it come 'pre-installed' on the software that would be specific for this laptop?
  5. SuperADJ said:
    Okay, I found this: http://betanews.com/2013/11/06/how-to-create-a-bootable-windows-8-1-usb-drive/#1

    Which looks like it might just work. Only thing is, how do I get the Product Key needed for the ISO download? I can buy 8.1 now, but will they give me the product key itself or does it come 'pre-installed' on the software that would be specific for this laptop?


    Did this work? I'm in a similar situation
  6. As far as I'm aware if you are going to install Windows 8.1 on a new pc without Windows 7 you have to get Windows 8 only and then upgrade it for free.
  7. IF you download, or purchase a Windows 8 or 8.1 disk, and install it on a computer, that's it. You can't go and install it on another computer as well. One system or the other will at some point let you know the installation is invalid, if it even allows it to activate at all. When you activate Windows it uses a numerical code to identify what hardware is in use on the system at that time and assigns specific identifiers to each piece of hardware resulting in an overall identification code it then uses to identify the system later.

    If you try to activate Windows using another machine that does not match the identifier, it will either refuse to be activated, or if you go through the process of phone activation and indicate you only have Windows installed on this machine you're currently activating, it will then invalidate the activation on the other machine you previously installed on and refuse to run in anything other than a limited capacity.
  8. doughnutdoodles said:
    As far as I'm aware if you are going to install Windows 8.1 on a new pc without Windows 7 you have to get Windows 8 only and then upgrade it for free.


    No, that's wrong. You can buy Windows 8.1 full version that does not require you to have any previous version of Windows installed.
  9. darkbreeze said:
    doughnutdoodles said:
    As far as I'm aware if you are going to install Windows 8.1 on a new pc without Windows 7 you have to get Windows 8 only and then upgrade it for free.


    No, that's wrong. You can buy Windows 8.1 full version that does not require you to have any previous version of Windows installed.

    yeah dark is right i was reading the built version but yes 8.1 is the one you need! But as far as dark's immature comment, doughnutdoodles, really what are you like 2?
  10. I have a new PC and have windows 8.1 full version. It will not install at all but instead I am getting a host of blue screen errors like Bxvbda.sys errors and classpnp.sys errors. I have no clue what is wrong.
  11. SuperADJ said:
    Ah okay. So I need to actually find and buy a DVD? Guess I won't be installing it this weekend, then. Surely there must be a way to download Windows but keep it for use on another PC? I'd hoped to keep Windows 7 on this and get 8.1 on the new PC. Seems simple but I can't seem to find the solution!


    I am doing the same thing with a student version. Microsoft sent me this link that should help you. And when you complete your purchase, it will give you a receipt with the key on it. Print this off and save it.

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows8_1-windows_install/download-a-bootable-windows-81-disc/17207153-902f-4b94-bf95-85ab70ca7064
  12. you just need to buy code from microsoft and then type windows to usb in google go to first site the first site help section from micrisift on how to put windows on a USB you need to download windows to USB from help site
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 8