New R9 290 Non Reference Version Time frame

BigBlak

Honorable
Sep 7, 2013
Can someone give me a time frame for the wait for the non refrence version of this card will arrive ? im being patient but its hard. Im in the market and looking at the r9 280x but for a hundred dollars more i hear good things about the r9 290 and it just seems like a better investment but i want a non reference version for better cooling and sound. A good time frame example would be when did the r9 280x get announced to when the non reference versions appeared ? i cant seem to find a exact date for that so that would be helpful thanks.

Solution
its being said, Its not certain, that AMD may delay after market coolers for 290 and 290x for 2 major reasons.

In 2-4 months Nvidia will release the 8xx series of cards, then it will be the best timing for aftermarket coolers and much increased performance.

I think, I have the feel, that it may be true, 290x outperforms 780 and its just reference card! What about 880 vs a custom 290x. I think that AMD may play smart and delay them a bit, so they will push the prices down.

I ve read it somewhere...

And the second reason is, 780 ti is just before the end of 7xx series. It costs 700 euros and I think AMD is not pointing there, even if a 290x with a custom cooler, will be better than this... So I think the 8xx series will be the target...

orifiel

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
its being said, Its not certain, that AMD may delay after market coolers for 290 and 290x for 2 major reasons.

In 2-4 months Nvidia will release the 8xx series of cards, then it will be the best timing for aftermarket coolers and much increased performance.

I think, I have the feel, that it may be true, 290x outperforms 780 and its just reference card! What about 880 vs a custom 290x. I think that AMD may play smart and delay them a bit, so they will push the prices down.

I ve read it somewhere...

And the second reason is, 780 ti is just before the end of 7xx series. It costs 700 euros and I think AMD is not pointing there, even if a 290x with a custom cooler, will be better than this... So I think the 8xx series will be the target and they want to surprise Nvidia for a second time... Is there any announcements by gigabyte or asus, etc for aftermarket 290 or 290x? I ve seen none. (Asus website is down btw)

Solution

Extasis

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013
I just read on Sapphire's website that they'll will be releasing their own version of the R9 290 (X) in the next couple of weeks http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/media/media_index.aspx?psn=0004&articleID=5453&lid=1 it was posted on november 22:nd and I've read on other forums that it should come out in late november (which is now) or early november, before chistmas i think i read somewhere. I'm also looking to buy the R9 290 but don't want the horrible cooling it has atm.