Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

Is the hard drive my computers brain? (programs, music, projects, etc)

Tags:
  • Computers
  • Storage
  • Hard Drives
Last response: in Storage
November 14, 2013 11:13:57 PM

Ok quick question, If me and a friend exchanged hard drives would he basically own my computer and I his? If I was to buy a new case, mobo, ram, gpu, cpu but keep my old hard drive would it basically behave like my old computer? Would my music still be there, would all my programs like itunes and windows media player for example work without problems, if I was making an indie game or a movie would I be able to pick up where I left off?

More about : hard drive computers brain programs music projects

Best solution

November 14, 2013 11:28:39 PM

Yea your computer would still behave normally.

Although the CPU is considered as the general brains as being the component that processes all the data, I can consider Storage as brains for storage before processing.

The CPU, RAM and Storage, they all work in Tendem as I would probably call the Combined Brain.
Share
November 14, 2013 11:34:33 PM

UltimateDeep said:
Yea your computer would still behave normally.

Although the CPU is considered as the general brains as being the component that processes all the data, I can consider Storage as brains for storage before processing.

The CPU, RAM and Storage, they all work in Tendem as I would probably call the Combined Brain.


thanks for a great answer. Im new to all of this computer stuff but I find it fascinating to say the least. I have a little experience with unity a game development engine and I want a more powerful computer but at the same time I dont want to lose my work. Well a lot simpler than I thought, just get all new better parts except for my hard drive.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
November 14, 2013 11:51:40 PM

yep your file would be on his system but you would have to get it fix with windows unless using a different system
m
0
l
November 15, 2013 10:09:31 AM

johnnyb105 said:
yep your file would be on his system but you would have to get it fix with windows unless using a different system


what do you mean by "you would have to get it fix with windows unless using a different system"?
m
0
l
a b G Storage
November 15, 2013 9:48:57 PM

Unless both systems you have are the exact same you will need to format and re -install windows again. why because of different hardware ect.
m
0
l
November 15, 2013 9:52:41 PM

johnnyb105 said:
Unless both systems you have are the exact same you will need to format and re -install windows again. why because of different hardware ect.


did not know this. Wont all my stuff be erased if I format?

m
0
l
a b G Storage
November 15, 2013 10:02:47 PM

Yes it would see if you had 2 exact pc,s it should work but since you probably don't you both would have to format you can always buy a external spare drive and back up files,
m
0
l
November 15, 2013 10:07:00 PM

johnnyb105 said:
Yes it would see if you had 2 exact pc,s it should work but since you probably don't you both would have to format you can always buy a external spare drive and back up files,


ok. I always thought when people said they upgraded their system that they just changed a part like you would on a car. Didn't know they basically had to start fresh. So let's say your a part in your computer went bad, would you then have to replace it with the exact same part for you to continue using it like you were before it messed up? BTW thanks for all your help man, I'm learning a lot, I tried searching for this before asking but found nothing.
m
0
l
a b G Storage
November 15, 2013 10:12:53 PM

Yes in a way its like a car cpu,ram ,dvd burners ect you can replace vid cards and such but when you take your hard drive out that's your storeage that holds windows so anytime you replace a drive your new drive has no info on it to run your system so you need to re-install everything. As others have said your cpu and mem are the brains but lets think of the hard drive as your stomach it hold everything you put in it.
m
0
l