Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Should I return Sapphire HD 7870 for a better card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 15, 2013 2:47:53 PM

I bought my Saphhire HD7870 OC 2GB GHz from amazon. My initial purpose was to use it for video and photo editing (and getting into gaming later). However, I ran some tests and my i7-4770k alone does a faster job compared with using HD7870 (video conversion and some photo editing work).

I paid about $185 including tax for my card. Should I keep this card or return it and wait to get a better card. I would like to get into gaming in the next month or so. I can wait. I also have a budget of about $220 (+/-). My one requirement is low noise. My PSU is SeaSonic 550W Gold Cert.
Please recommend: either send the card back (still have 2 weeks) and get a better card, or keep it.

http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-DL-DVI-I-SL-DVI-D-PCI-Ex...
November 15, 2013 2:51:55 PM

I don't see why I mean if you can get your money back obviously your it's gonna drop in price.
m
0
l
November 15, 2013 2:53:51 PM

Send it back if you don`t like it and the GPU does not match your CPU but for your budget the r9 270x is the best solution.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... you will need to reduce fan speed a bit so that you won`t hear it even under load. The cooling system is very good and the card will produce low temps and you won`t notice a big increase if you reduce the fan speed.
m
0
l
Related resources
November 15, 2013 3:04:22 PM

StarBG said:
Send it back if you don`t like it and the GPU does not match your CPU but for your budget the r9 270x is the best solution.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... you will need to reduce fan speed a bit so that you won`t hear it even under load. The cooling system is very good and the card will produce low temps and you won`t notice a big increase if you reduce the fan speed.


Should I go with Nvidia or AMD cards?
m
0
l
November 15, 2013 3:10:25 PM

For the price around $200 this is the best GPU you can get, so AMD.
m
0
l
November 15, 2013 3:30:33 PM

THSNOTLEK said:
I don't see why I mean if you can get your money back obviously your it's gonna drop in price.


The reason I don't think it's an obvious choice is because every once in while you come across a good graphics card that holds its value. Case in point: GTX 570. I know it's a much older card, but a lot of people were happy with gaming and video editing performance of this card. You can't find this new, if you did, it would be >$300.

Most people think HD7870 has a very good performance/price ratio. I am just wondering if it's worth keeping it, or as you said, maybe this will drop in price, assuming you can find new ones 6 months down the road.
m
0
l
November 15, 2013 4:01:39 PM

StarBG said:
For the price around $200 this is the best GPU you can get, so AMD.


If I were to up my budget to $350, what do you recommend? AMD 7970? GTX 770? My PSU ~ 550W must be able to handle.

m
0
l
November 15, 2013 6:40:54 PM

the r9 and the 770s seem to be good.
m
0
l
November 16, 2013 5:02:51 AM

@ murchak: Check what, if any, GPU acceleration your software can use because it sounds like the software you're using does not, cannot, or has not been configured to use the 7870 as an accelerator, in which case swapping cards is just going to be a waste of time and money if you're after better encoding/editing performance.
m
0
l
November 16, 2013 8:21:57 AM

coozie7 said:
@ murchak: Check what, if any, GPU acceleration your software can use because it sounds like the software you're using does not, cannot, or has not been configured to use the 7870 as an accelerator, in which case swapping cards is just going to be a waste of time and money if you're after better encoding/editing performance.


Thank you coozie7. I am using Cyberlink PowerDirector 12 Ultra for video work and Nikon Capture NX2 for photo work. I will re-install the video card I have, try to find how I can enable hardware acceleration and see if my software supports my card (HD7870). If I still don't see any significant performance difference, then I will return the card and focus on finding a really good gaming card for the near future ~ $350.

The problem with my HD7870 is that it actually slowed down simple tasks, like viewing pictures using Windows Picture Viewer.
m
0
l
April 25, 2014 9:31:25 AM

murchak said:
I bought my Saphhire HD7870 OC 2GB GHz from amazon. My initial purpose was to use it for video and photo editing (and getting into gaming later). However, I ran some tests and my i7-4770k alone does a faster job compared with using HD7870 (video conversion and some photo editing work).

I paid about $185 including tax for my card. Should I keep this card or return it and wait to get a better card. I would like to get into gaming in the next month or so. I can wait. I also have a budget of about $220 (+/-). My one requirement is low noise. My PSU is SeaSonic 550W Gold Cert.
Please recommend: either send the card back (still have 2 weeks) and get a better card, or keep it.

http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-DL-DVI-I-SL-DVI-D-PCI-Ex...

I do not usually respond to issues as these, however this is of considerable interest. We have a couple of things in common. I too built a PC, within the last 4 months, using the same Intel processor and the same video card. .I also installed 32 GB of RAM on this 64 bit monster I do not believe in coincidences I am a professional photographer mostly commercial and advertising work

The Radeon HD 7780 video card is supporting two Dell monitors. The new Dell UP2414Q UltraSharp and the Ultrasharp U2413. The UP2414Q monitor is 3840x 2180 {from memory}. A decision to purchase this monitor enhanced my photo editing by at least 400%.Not only that the monitor is extremely sharp but the colors that are displayed are overwhelming. And now with the Nikon D800 36.3 MP camera that I use is absolutely outstanding. I get colors like I was getting in the film days.
The combination of the solid state C drive, the Intel processor, the 32 GB of RAM the Radeon Video card and the new Dell Monitors makes using this machine a dream.
I am not a gamer but know this video card has all of the qualities any serious photographer would need. This is my third custom build and each time chose an ATI/Radeon Video card. The oldest and the other two 64 bit quad core machines are all running just fine. One other thing of interest. I wanted to know how good all of those combinations in my newest machine would work. But first you have to know I had to upgrade because of the file sizes of the Nikon D800 produces. It chocked the older 64 bit machine.
I opened 35, 209 MB files into Photoshop and that machine didn’t blink or burp.
Keep you video card. Like the old cliché goes, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”


m
0
l
April 25, 2014 9:41:32 AM

murchak said:
coozie7 said:
@ murchak: Check what, if any, GPU acceleration your software can use because it sounds like the software you're using does not, cannot, or has not been configured to use the 7870 as an accelerator, in which case swapping cards is just going to be a waste of time and money if you're after better encoding/editing performance.


Thank you coozie7. I am using Cyberlink PowerDirector 12 Ultra for video work and Nikon Capture NX2 for photo work. I will re-install the video card I have, try to find how I can enable hardware acceleration and see if my software supports my card (HD7870). If I still don't see any significant performance difference, then I will return the card and focus on finding a really good gaming card for the near future ~ $350.

The problem with my HD7870 is that it actually slowed down simple tasks, like viewing pictures using Windows Picture Viewer.



Did you have a gpu installed before the 7870? have you had an nvida card in the past and did not clean out the drivers before installing the AMD drivers?

As far as gaming, the 7870 is a good gpu up to 1080p gaming. 185 is a pretty decent price.


m
0
l
April 25, 2014 10:37:00 AM

I use Nikon Capture NX2 along with Photoshop CS5. As a matter of fact I was a Beta tester for Nikon Capture NX as well as Nikon Capture NX2 and have no problems with the current Video card. My latest and older custom built PC's do have a solid state C drives. I am sure others do as well. Right now I cannot think of any solution. Oh yes!! Power. I understand that, while working, the video card does use lots of power. I have a 1300 watt Antec power supply. When one considers that the use of electrical cord extensions can hinder the operation of machines unless they are rated for longer distances by being constructed for longer lengths so can under powered power supplies that can slow down machines of any kind. I experience this while using a power saw in my garage that is not attached to our condo and is so far away that it’s difficult to run. Low amperage!!! And a long distance. If you have ever used extension cords for power equipment you know how thick the extension cords have to be. Actually you don’t have to even consider those pieces of equipment. Just look at the size of the power cords on your PC or your batter backups. There is a reason for the design of those cords.
I am only suggesting that if the computer power supply is not adequate it can slow down the performance.
m
0
l
!