Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Can spray painting a power supply cause it to overheat?

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
November 15, 2013 6:27:04 PM

My wife and I decided to mount the HDTV on the fireplace, which we have painted white. We didn't want a bunch of black cables fraying out every which way from the set, so I have painted them white (them being the power cable for the TV, the fiber optic cable for the sound bar, the power supply for the sound bar, and a power supply for an ipod dock).

In the midst of painting the items, I wondered: would doing so cause the power supplies (the kind used by most, if not all, laptops) to overheat? Or even a regular power cable (like the cable used for desktops)?

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
November 15, 2013 6:42:32 PM

A light coat of paint should not cause overheating on the items listed. No worries.
Share
November 16, 2013 6:13:18 AM

Great -- I found some other forum questions pertaining to power supplies with vents and making sure not to get paint inside the enclosure, but these items are sealed as it is. I figured it wouldn't be an issue, but thought I should check with someone else.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
November 16, 2013 8:18:17 AM

For the items listed you will be fine. For a desktop PC power supply, you have to be very careful about getting paint inside the unit.
m
0
l
!