I have a vguard royal UPS which was once damaged by an overload electric current...
Then it was not used for over a year.
Recently I gave it for repair and got it repaired...
Within a month after repair, the ups failed to give back up when power was cut off and my computer also shutdown along with the power cut!..
I consulted the repair center and they detected no issues and the UPS gave normal backup...
They told me to keep charging the UPS all time....
IS THIS ALL TIME CHARGING REALLY REQUIRED FOR THE PROPER FUNCTIONING OF AN UPS?
IF I BOUGHT A NEW UPS, DO I NEED TO KEEP IT ALWAYS CHARGING ,SO THAT I CAN GET ENOUGH BACKUP?
An UPS should be connected to a power source at all times. That way the on-board batteries are fully charged in the event of a power loss. Otherwise, you will have less time to power connected devices when power fails.
Also, a disconnected UPS's batteries will discharge over time (even if not in use) and will eventually have nearly no charge. In that state, the UPS is little more than a basic surge suppressor. My advice is to keep connected to an AC power source at all times.
I'm a little confused. A UPS should always be plugged in to house power and charge until it is fully charged, and remain that way until you run in to a power outage. Could you elaborate on "always charging"? Are you draining the battery constantly and re-charging it, like a cell phone?
Colgeek is spot on. The only UPS's that I have direct experience with are APC brand, and the professional models (room sized) I used to maintain.
An uninterrupted power supply does more than charge a battery. First the normal house AC is converted to direct current. Then a portion of that direct current is siphoned off to charge the batteries (Trickle Charge). The rest is converted back into AC and used to power your computer, or whatever else is plugged into it. Only some of the UPS ‘s outputs are battery backed up, but all are conditioned by the AC/DC/AC conversion.
That’s what makes them so expensive, and awesome. Brown outs, surges and black outs can’t damage your equipment because the ups is conditioning your power and providing a battery backup so that you have time to shut down your computer properly, in the case of an extended black out.
Back to the tickle charge. Yes. It is necessary to constantly charge the UPS because most power interruptions that place a demand on the battery are so quick you might not even notice them. If your house power browns down (goes below 110VAC, but does not fail, your ups will discharge the battery to compensate. It may or may not inform you about this, depending on the make and model. It does this as part of the power conditioning as well.
Excellent answers from everyone ,I would just like to add that most UPS units use lead acid batteries and if you let these discharge completely then they will likely fail and you will need a new battery.