Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

ASUS P9X79 LE with a i7-4820K - No Post, no display, no beeps, nothing - Just a red CPU LED

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
November 16, 2013 1:23:35 AM

New build.

Getting a red cpu led on a asus P9x79 LE with a i7-4820k. Everything powers up but never progresses to a display, and according to the manual the red cpu led means it stops there because there is a problem.

I'm assuming it's the bios, on a sticker on the MB, the last four digits of the sticker are 3501, which appears to be a BIOS rev number from:

http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?elitepost=0&SLangu...

According to ASUS, I need bios 4210. So OK, that might be the problem.

But how do I update the BIOS when I can't even see anything on the screen? Tried two known good graphics cards.

Also... Checked cables. Reseated the CPU multiple times. Very careful about static. I've done plenty of other builds and never had an issue. First time with ASUS. Even tried pulling the CPU to see if it would post with no CPU. Nope, won't even turn on without a CPU.

Am I supposed to still get some video if it's just a BIOS version problem?

Please help! Thanks in advance
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 16, 2013 2:12:29 AM

On another computer download the LATEST bios to a memory stick. on the IO of the motherboard you should see a USB slot that is white. If you do message back on this thread and ill tell you the rest
m
0
l
November 16, 2013 2:19:33 AM

Danzas4321 said:
On another computer download the LATEST bios to a memory stick. on the IO of the motherboard you should see a USB slot that is white. If you do message back on this thread and ill tell you the rest


Well, there is a USB on case panel that has a white border around it and it says "USB BIOS Flashback" so I would say yes. But the physical port color inside the port is black, just for other's reference.

I'd like to know why the hell this information isn't easily accessible on the ASUS website, and certainly would love to know why it isn't included in the manual.
m
0
l
Related resources
November 16, 2013 2:22:17 AM

I have exactly the same problem with the 4930k processor
and could you please tell what i should do further
m
0
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 16, 2013 2:30:47 AM

Ok so here are the steps
1.on another PC goto the ASUS webstie and download the latest bios for the board.
2.insert the USB stick into the slot Marked USB BIOS FLASHBACK or the white one and find the button located on your board or again on the IO Labelled USB BIOS FLASHBACK.
3.Insert the USB and press the button and it flashes your bios.

this works as well if you accidentally brick your motherboard bios and need to reflash it. just do the steps listed here and it will work. BTW your mainboard needs to be connected to the 24pin and 8 pin power i believe for it to work. if your PC is built then its just fine.

EDIT:NAME THE BIOS FILE P9X79LE.CAP and the USB has to be formatted to FAT16 or FAT32. to do this right click the USb in the computer tab and click format and select file type of FAT16 or FAT32. Hold the FLASHBACK buton for 3 Seconds until it starts flashing ( if it has an LED) then leave it until the led GOES OUT AND VOILA
Share
November 16, 2013 2:53:12 AM

Danzas4321 said:
Ok so here are the steps
1.on another PC goto the ASUS webstie and download the latest bios for the board.
2.insert the USB stick into the slot Marked USB BIOS FLASHBACK or the white one and find the button located on your board or again on the IO Labelled USB BIOS FLASHBACK.
3.Insert the USB and press the button and it flashes your bios.

this works as well if you accidentally brick your motherboard bios and need to reflash it. just do the steps listed here and it will work. BTW your mainboard needs to be connected to the 24pin and 8 pin power i believe for it to work. if your PC is built then its just fine.

EDIT:NAME THE BIOS FILE P9X79LE.CAP and the USB has to be formatted to FAT16 or FAT32. to do this right click the USb in the computer tab and click format and select file type of FAT16 or FAT32. Hold the FLASHBACK buton for 3 Seconds until it starts flashing ( if it has an LED) then leave it until the led GOES OUT AND VOILA


That was it, thank you, thank you thank you! Just an FYI for people, don't bother turning the computer on, you just have to have the power supply turned on, and then press and hold the flash button on the motherboard. Also, on this rev of the motherboard, 1.01, there is a LED. Thanks again!
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 16, 2013 2:55:15 AM

analog999 said:
Danzas4321 said:
Ok so here are the steps
1.on another PC goto the ASUS webstie and download the latest bios for the board.
2.insert the USB stick into the slot Marked USB BIOS FLASHBACK or the white one and find the button located on your board or again on the IO Labelled USB BIOS FLASHBACK.
3.Insert the USB and press the button and it flashes your bios.

this works as well if you accidentally brick your motherboard bios and need to reflash it. just do the steps listed here and it will work. BTW your mainboard needs to be connected to the 24pin and 8 pin power i believe for it to work. if your PC is built then its just fine.

EDIT:NAME THE BIOS FILE P9X79LE.CAP and the USB has to be formatted to FAT16 or FAT32. to do this right click the USb in the computer tab and click format and select file type of FAT16 or FAT32. Hold the FLASHBACK buton for 3 Seconds until it starts flashing ( if it has an LED) then leave it until the led GOES OUT AND VOILA


That was it, thank you, thank you thank you! Just an FYI for people, don't bother turning the computer on, you just have to have the power supply turned on, and then press and hold the flash button on the motherboard. Also, on this rev of the motherboard, 1.01, there is a LED. Thanks again!


Happy to help. Remember to pick an answer and close the thread :) 

m
0
l
January 14, 2014 12:28:41 PM

I was able to flash mine (not sure if successful) but my pc still wont display video or beep (no RAM)...

Either the mobo is faulty or the BIOS is not flashed correctly. I'm hoping it's the latter. Any suggestions at this point?
m
0
l
January 14, 2014 12:46:36 PM

analog999 said:
New build.

Getting a red cpu led on a asus P9x79 LE with a i7-4820k. Everything powers up but never progresses to a display, and according to the manual the red cpu led means it stops there because there is a problem.

I'm assuming it's the bios, on a sticker on the MB, the last four digits of the sticker are 3501, which appears to be a BIOS rev number from:

http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?elitepost=0&SLangu...

According to ASUS, I need bios 4210. So OK, that might be the problem.

But how do I update the BIOS when I can't even see anything on the screen? Tried two known good graphics cards.

Also... Checked cables. Reseated the CPU multiple times. Very careful about static. I've done plenty of other builds and never had an issue. First time with ASUS. Even tried pulling the CPU to see if it would post with no CPU. Nope, won't even turn on without a CPU.

Am I supposed to still get some video if it's just a BIOS version problem?

Please help! Thanks in advance


I had same problem with asus sabertooth mobo. It's problem with the bios.either its corrupted or fried. but all is not lost, a new bios chip can be got for £10 so try it
m
0
l
January 14, 2014 12:57:41 PM

my sabertooth came with no bios chip, the red light was on next to the cpu,all the fans were spinning even the graphics card was working . But I had no feed to the monitor?? funny. Now at that time I didnt realize that the bios chip was missing from the board, after a closer look i then realized what the culprit was. I purchased an upto date bios chip from ebay for £10 brand new complete with most upto date bios version for my board
m
0
l
January 15, 2014 5:39:31 PM

g0tvtec said:
I was able to flash mine (not sure if successful) but my pc still wont display video or beep (no RAM)...

Either the mobo is faulty or the BIOS is not flashed correctly. I'm hoping it's the latter. Any suggestions at this point?


Anybody? I really want to get this pc up and running
m
0
l
January 16, 2014 10:56:07 AM

Got it flashed once I tried it again last night strangely.
m
0
l
!