Which to get? 780 Ti, R9 290X or R9 290?

prodos

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Mid Dec

BUDGET RANGE: USD$700-800 per card

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming for games like Crysis 3, Bioshock Infinite, COD

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: New system.

PARTS TO CONSIDER:
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Video Card ($699.99 @ NCIX US)

Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 290X 4GB Video Card ($595.91 @ Newegg)

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Video Card ($406.13 @ Newegg)

OVERCLOCKING: Yes, 2 way SLI OR CROSSFIRE

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1200, 2560x1440, 3840x2160

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Will be doing full custom water cooling. Heat is not an issue. Please suggest parts you think is better than above.

Solution

Funny you should say that, HardOCP, long the singer of the praises of nVidia, completely disagrees with you:
"The GTX 780 Ti does not dominate the Radeon R9 290X. Instead, it kind of helps prove that the Radeon R9 290X is a powerful (and power hungry) beast of a video card. The...

St0rm_KILL3r

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
Currently the Gtx 780ti is the fastest sinlge gpu, It's even better than Titan. I like Amd as it gives the best bang for the buck, But I have to admit it that gtx 780ti is the real beast here. So there was not even a need for asking this question, Gtx 780ti is the way to go. It is as strong as, Playing Crysis 3, Bioshock Infinite and Cod, BF4 at 1080p is like disrespecting it's capabilities. So again, without a doubt gtx 780ti is the best option here.

corvetteguy1994

Distinguished

have you seen the scaling between 2 290(x)'s? CF is so good with those two it actually beats nvidia. scaling is around x1.8-2.0 in scaling performance.

I would get the R9-290 and never look back, but as Levar Burton used to say: "You don't have to take my word for it." :D

Speaking of that, you know, [H]ardOCP had some interesting things to say about the R9 290:

"The R9 290 is simply a beast. If you look at it compared to the R9 290X it is right on the heels of the 290X, for $150 cheaper."

They also said:

"Price-wise, the R9 290 is closer in price to the GTX 770 than it is the GTX 780. There is a $70 price difference between the GTX 770 and R9 290. However, compared to the GTX 780, the R9 290 is a whole $100 less expensive than the GeForce GTX 780. Performance-wise, the R9 290 is on par with the GeForce GTX 780. The R9 290 is a much better performer than the GTX 770 or Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition. The R9 290 is providing the performance of GTX 780, at $100 less cost. The value favors the AMD Radeon R9 290 in an epic way. The Radeon R9 290 provides the most value for single-display gaming on the market today."

There really isn't much more that can be said is there?
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/11/04/amd_radeon_r9_290_video_card_review/9

determinologyz

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012

I would not recommend the oven hot r9 290x at this time...
And honestly not to impressed with crossfire as well..If you still wanna get the r9 290x at least wait for the after market versions with the coolers come out which would give you WAY better cooling then ref models

It's true that they run hot, but the hot air is blown completely outside of the case. Aftermarket coolers blow the hot air into the case so while it will run cooler and quieter, you need to have a case with good airflow to vent the heat out. As it is, the only real drawback to the R9-290 and R9-290X is that they are a bit louder than the GTX 780 Ti. However, with the massive price difference, you could always slap on a water cooler, have better performance, lower temperatures, quieter operation and still save money. Personally, I had a reference model XFX Radeon HD 4870 for 6 years and it never really bothered me. You want to talk heat? The Radeon HD 4870 could run STABLE at 100C. It was designed to run at that temperature if needed and since both my HD 4870s still work perfectly, I'm inclined to believe AMD when they say that the 95C temperature is not dangerous to the card itself. Personally, I think that everyone is making a big fuss about this fan-noise deal over nothing. If you're gaming and you can hear your fans, then you're doing it wrong because it should be drowned out by the sound of the game. If you're not gaming, the cards are quiet because the fans don't spin like airplane props unless the cards are under load. So really, who cares?

determinologyz

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012

Im still not fond of crossfire along with many of people thats just my opinion everyone has different thoughts about it but ill take sli any day atm

I would suggest the R9-290, because it performs very good for $400. But as for now only the ones with reference coolers are out now. I would suggest waiting for the custom cooling solutions from Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, EVGA, XFX, etc. That would perform better under load, no throttling at all.

You should wait for the custom cooling solutions to launch. There is no point spending $700 on a 780 Ti when you can get just a little less performance from the overclocked R9-290.

Funny you should say that, HardOCP, long the singer of the praises of nVidia, completely disagrees with you:
"The GTX 780 Ti does not dominate the Radeon R9 290X. Instead, it kind of helps prove that the Radeon R9 290X is a powerful (and power hungry) beast of a video card. The GeForce GTX 780 Ti with all its SMX units and CUDA Cores at play, is only equaling the performance and experience of the Radeon R9 290X. The GTX 780 Ti isn't overshadowing the R9 290X, or claiming a clear win or victory. The GTX 780 Ti is merely matching the gameplay experience of the Radeon R9 290X. In fact, the GTX 780 Ti is matching the R9 290X gameplay experience at a $150 premium."
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/11/07/nvidia_geforce_gtx_780_ti_video_card_review/8
R9-290 - Gold Award
R9-290X - Gold Award
GTX 780 Ti - Silver Award
Despite all this, I'm sure that you know better though.

What exactly are these issues and where can I read about them? Stating things like that and not saying what they are or where to read about them sounds like BS. Here, I can do it too:
"The GTX 780 Ti has issues and so I would definitely pick the R9-290X." - This is what you sound like.

Certainly, that is your right. Nobody can ever tell you otherwise. Keep in mind though that things in the tech industry change extremely quickly and you cannot take anything for granted. Case in point - I have used ATi Crossfire for about 5 years. I have never had frame-stutter. In fact, I don't even know what it looks like. Why? Because I ran HD 4870s for almost all of that time and I only recently upgraded to twin HD 7970s. The frame-stutter issues began somewhere in the HD 6xxx generation and ended a few months before I got my HD 7970s. People still think crossfire is broken but I can tell you that I've been playing games like Tomb Raider 2013, Hitman: Absolution, Saints Row IV, Far Cry 3, Dues Ex: Human Revolution and Sleeping Dogs completely maxxed-out on all settings and my gameplay as been as smooth and fluid as synthetic motor oil. Believe me, if crossfire was broken, I'd be the first person here complaining about it. I wouldn't be saying that it runs perfectly. That would be stupid of me at best and dishonest at worst. I spent almost $600 on my cards and I would be screaming blue murder if they didn't work properly. Remember one thing about this industry. There's an ebb and flow to it all. Sometimes SLI is better, sometimes Crossfire is better. I research everything about a week before I buy and that's it. I don't care how things were a month ago. The way things were a month ago are usually completely irrelevant to how things are now in tech. By the same token, the way things are now are completely irrelevant to how things will be by 2014. Remember, people talk about how how hot and loud the R9-290 series is. Funny how they're the same people who were claiming that Fermi wasn't that bad (please!). One card will always appear hot and loud compared to the competitor. Sometimes it's nVidia and sometimes it's ATi. I let go of these things and just look at the facts and numbers. Getting caught doing anything else just costs me money.

Solution

determinologyz

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012

Both sli and crossfire isnt perfect but theres more issues in CF then there is in sli..To some it doesnt bother people but to me when i buy a card i want well working drivers along with muti-gpu support and a fast card and thats where nvidia/sli comes in at. To each of their own

prodos

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
Thanks guys for the fierce debate.. I have chosen to go the R9 290X way.. No offence to anyone but I guess in a water cool setup 290X is more appealing to me..

prodos

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013

You have any benchmarks I can have a look between the 2?

Thanks for best answer, and... I do have benchmarks for you to see:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/11/04/amd_radeon_r9_290_video_card_review/

They are scaring close :

arma-fr.png
bf4-fr.png
bioshock-fr.png

You can see all the benchmarks here at this 20 page review by TomsHardware :

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-290-review-benchmark,3659.html

I hope this helps.

I completely agree and respect your opinion. For many, the nVidia route is the way to go. Case in point - they own more than half of the market. I expect that to change very soon because the R9's have made quite a splash and an old friend of mine from my days at Tiger Direct (who now works for NCIX) told me that since the R9-290X and then even more so, the R9-290 came out, they haven't been able to even GIVE a GeForce card away. He said that every card they have sold over the last two weeks have been Radeons. He's an admitted nVidia/Intel fanboy (I call him Blue Goblin) and even he succumbed. He now owns a Radeon card for the first time in his life and he says that the thing that blows him away the most is that he really was contemplating paying more for a Goblin card. He says he's going to be looking at Roosters in a completely different way now. My reply to him - "Duhhhh!" LOL

St0rm_KILL3r

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013

It looks like you haven't seen this link yet : http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-780-ti-review-benchmarks,3663-4.html
It clearly tells that the 780ti dominates the r9 290x, I am an amd fan, but I have to admit that 780ti is THE BEAST. If you have looked at this review before, then why do you still think that r9 290x is any better than 780ti..??

prodos

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013

780 or 780 Ti SLI? so wad u are saying is AMD is not recommended currently for dual?

Maybe you guys can also suggest a mobo for me.. I am getting the i7 4930.. Current looking at Rampage IV extreme..
Open to any suggestion.. Ty.. :)