r9 290 blackscreen

adams67s

Honorable
Nov 16, 2013
Just recieved my new R9 290 lasdt night. I also order a GS800 power supply. After uninstalling all of my nvidia drivers, I rebooted . installed my new card and noticed flickers and flashes on my screen. I was able to run the card for a short time before it crashed.
I have now looked at my motherboard more closely and see i only have a PCIe 1.0x16 gen 3 slot. Could this be the issue with the new GPU not working?

Solution
Yeah it doesn't help... Few rounds of bf4 and boom, black screen. Memory vendor is Elpdia. Just got this card because of RMA'ing my gtx 770 which had fan issues.
Hope the replacement works better than this card... I will use the AMD reporting form but hope it doesn't get too technical!
could be your psu.

best way to find out will be to plug it into another computer. if it runs without issues then its something in your machine... motherboard/psu probably...

could be a dead card too... that happens more with video cards, motherboards and ram then i care to think about.

adams67s

Honorable
Nov 16, 2013
I dont have any other pc's with correct power supply to try it on. I did get a warranty the new card. What would be correct way to check the output on the GS800 power supply ?
Would the PCIe 1.0 be a issue ?
ALso should i delete all the AMD driver folders?

adams67s

Honorable
Nov 16, 2013
I am getting video on start up. it runs for about 3.5 minutes. then i get the black screen of death. I live in wamsutter wy. No One around here has a decent rig. There is a PC repair place about 75 miles from me. I will be heading there next weekend for supplies. I will try to get them to test Video card in there shop.
I will post info when i get some more info.

:(

are you black screening while loading windows or IN windows?

if it's while loading windows (the windows logo on the screen before the blue background comes up) then it's a driver problem.

If its happening in windows, then the issue is hardware... like overheating, power supply or faulty video card.

I don't think the issue is your motherboard.

adams67s

Honorable
Nov 16, 2013
problem was nvidia drivers registry was causing the issue. Ran some registry cleaners . then installed new drivers. works great. running 150 fps in Iracing. Almost a 50% increase on my old GPU.
motherboard is a 10/2012 motherboard. i guessi was reading something wrong when i said it was a PCIe1.0

Warsam71

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013
Hello everyone,

AMD has been aware of the black screen issues and been investigating on the issue which resulted in the release of a new driver; here is the link: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-arti...dows-beta.aspx

Please make sure to read the Features Highlights as it provides more details about the driver.

And if you are still experiencing an issue after the installation, please use our AMD Issue Reporting Form for the Catalyst driver, found here: http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D25AD12B3D

Thank you very much for your patience.

Massimo213

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
Yeah it doesn't help... Few rounds of bf4 and boom, black screen. Memory vendor is Elpdia. Just got this card because of RMA'ing my gtx 770 which had fan issues.
Hope the replacement works better than this card... I will use the AMD reporting form but hope it doesn't get too technical!

Solution

if you run gpuz it often says pcie 1 until its under load, then jumps up to the higher speed. you then click the question mark and start render test and you will see it runs at pcie 3.0

Massimo213

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
New case with corsair rm750 psu to see if it helps the R9. I had a crappy powersupply before.
I have to say the store I bought it from hooked it up to a pc for about 5 minutes and than said it works... They told me to let them test it over a number of days to see if they could replicate it, although it is a well known and reported problem.